Alan spavin

sports rehab

Advisor to the Owner
Les Dagger was subject to quite a bit of ridicule mainly because if he was playing it meant Sir Tom was injured and therefore out of the team. Some people just couldn't accept the understudy..................idiots!

Ah, Spurs in the league cup I remember it very well - lost 1-2 in extra time... ( November 1971 )

it was a good Spurs team consisting of Chivers, Gilzean, Peters, Perryman, Coates, Beal, Knowles, Jennings etc etc

The crowd was 27,000
I was there too.... 1t and only time I stood under the Pavilion stand, it was so full.

Unlucky to lose (I think) - though at least we beat them in the FA Cup in the mid 60's !!! Greaves's team

Dont recall the WBA game

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
I was there too.... 1t and only time I stood under the Pavilion stand, it was so full.

Unlucky to lose (I think) - though at least we beat them in the FA Cup in the mid 60's !!! Greaves's team

Dont recall the WBA game
Think it was a draw at Deepdale before losing the replay 2-0 possibly after extra time.
Edit - I think I Might be in the wrong time zone.

Wisemen say

Forum Patron
Patron
Think it was a draw at Deepdale before losing the replay 2-0 possibly after extra time.
Edit - I think I Might be in the wrong time zone.
We played WBA in league Cup 3rd round in 1980/81 season lost 1-2 in a second replay at The Hawthorns after drawing 0-0 in the 1st game at The Hawthorns, then 1-1 back at Deepdale.
I think they scored the winner in the 2nd replay in virtually the last minute, I think the game had gone to extra time, West Brom had a top side in those days. 👍

Last edited:
We played WBA in league Cup 3rd round in 1980/81 season lost 1-2 in a second replay at The Hawthorns after drawing 0-0 in the 1st game at The Hawthorns, then 1-1 back at Deepdale.
I think they scored the winner in the 2nd replay in virtually the last minute, I think the game had gone to extra time, West Brom had a top side in those days. 👍
I went to all three matches as a fresh-faced 19 year old. From memory, they tossed a coin to decide where the third match would be. North End gave an excellent account of themselves against a team going well in Division 1 under Big Ron.

My boss drove us to both away games and my abiding memory is of him going crackers on the way home when we stopped at a chippy in Stafford. We got him steak pie, chips and loads of gravy but no fork to eat it with! Happy days.

janiejones

Forum Patron
Patron
I am very familiar with all but one of the PNE Players here with Brucie being one of my all time favs but i am struggling to place David Carrick.
In fact not only do i not remember him but i don't think i've ever heard of him before in PNE terms. Some reet good Players on view in that match!!
David Carrick played a couple of games for us in the 1973/74 relegation season, under Bobby Charlton. I'm pretty sure that it was playing an unregistered player, Carrick, that resulted in PNE being docked a couple of points. Fortunately, the deducted points didn't cost us, as we ended the season a few points adrift from safety.

deepdaledreamer

Forum Patron
Patron
David Carrick played a couple of games for us in the 1973/74 relegation season, under Bobby Charlton. I'm pretty sure that it was playing an unregistered player, Carrick, that resulted in PNE being docked a couple of points. Fortunately, the deducted points didn't cost us, as we ended the season a few points adrift from safety.
Cheers for that, don't remember us being docked points either!!!