PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Alan spavin

I was there ... if my memory serves me right it should never have gone ahead due to thick fog

This is quite superb. I wonder how many of us actually went to this, I know I did :)

Wow,wow,wow. What a player he was. The word "underrated" was invented for Spav.
He had a footballers brain suited to a much higher level than PNE, but nobody took a punt on him. Their loss, our gain.
Remember falling out with my mate on the West Stand Paddock about Spav. He was giving Spav grief about a pass which went forty yards and landed at Brian Godfrey's feet. My mate reckoned he should have given it to Howard Kendall 5 yards away - the simple pass!
In my opinion, one of the best footballers we had in the 60s.

From what I remember he got quite a bit of stick when things weren’t going well.

Played in the 1960 FA Youth Cup Final in 1960 alongside, amongst others Dave Wilson, Peter Thompson , George Ross and John Barton
The Chelsea team included Peter Bonetti , Terry Venables and Bobby Tambling.

I was there ... if my memory serves me right it should never have gone ahead due to thick fog
You may well be right Ando, but for some reason I seem to recall that the very foggy testimonial match was a game against Stoke. And I can’t think who’s testimonial it was. So you’re probably right. I was only 10 at the time. 😳😳

You may well be right Ando, but for some reason I seem to recall that the very foggy testimonial match was a game against Stoke. And I can’t think who’s testimonial it was. So you’re probably right. I was only 10 at the time. 😳😳
Spot on HC.... I had Stoke at the back of my mind.

so I wonder who’s testimonial the Stoke game was ?
Alan Kelly ?

yep I was there and still have letters Spav wrote to me....

The foggy game I always thought was for Kelly because we had to turn round near Blackburn and go home as we couldnt see to drive....
I'd have walked there for Spav's testimonial....!!!

Still remember an awful penalty miss from him away at Accy Stanley when he was player manager after leaving us.... nearly ended up on Accrington cricket ground 1/2 mile away

I loved Spav and was there too. He, just like Rankin was so undervalued by many NE fans but his reading of the game and anticipation was second to none. Plus, he was a very loyal servant to NE something we must never forget.
he was my boss when I used to do talent scouting for youth team lads and was always such a gentleman.