PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Alan spavin

My memory isn't what it was. Those of us with memories of Spav are probably (like me) forgetting more than they remember :ROFLMAO: not forgetting altogether but just the detail. ;):unsure:
Spav was my first experience of how certain players are made scapegoats by the PNE faithful. The criticism of him, on the terraces, was relentless at the time.

Im sure this must have happened before Spav but I know, for certain, its continued since.

yep I was there and still have letters Spav wrote to me....

The foggy game I always thought was for Kelly because we had to turn round near Blackburn and go home as we couldnt see to drive....
I'd have walked there for Spav's testimonial....!!!

Still remember an awful penalty miss from him away at Accy Stanley when he was player manager after leaving us.... nearly ended up on Accrington cricket ground 1/2 mile away
The Alan Kelly testimonial I think that Sir Tom and a few of his era of players were down to do a penalty competition at half time.
I really wanted to go as a youngster just so I could say I'd seen Sir Tom at Deepdale.
I remember my dad coming home from work and saying no chance the game going to be on, took him twice as long to drive home from Preston the fog was so bad, so never went on the game or saw Sir Tom in a North End shirt on the hallowed turf.

The Alan Kelly testimonial I think that Sir Tom and a few of his era of players were down to do a penalty competition at half time.
I really wanted to go as a youngster just so I could say I'd seen Sir Tom at Deepdale.
I remember my dad coming home from work and saying no chance the game going to be on, took him twice as long to drive home from Preston the fog was so bad, so never went on the game or saw Sir Tom in a North End shirt on the hallowed turf.
The only time I got to see Sir Tom play was at the 1972 Guild. A Tom Finney Northern XI v a Jimmy Hill Southern XI.

I went to both of these games and seem to remember we played very well against a full strength City.
Other matches from that era that stick in my memory but aren't much talked about are Spurs and West Brom in the League Cup at Deepdale.

Spav was my first experience of how certain players are made scapegoats by the PNE faithful. The criticism of him, on the terraces, was relentless at the time.

Im sure this must have happened before Spav but I know, for certain, its continued since.
Les Dagger was subject to quite a bit of ridicule mainly because if he was playing it meant Sir Tom was injured and therefore out of the team. Some people just couldn't accept the understudy..................idiots!

I went to both of these games and seem to remember we played very well against a full strength City.
Other matches from that era that stick in my memory but aren't much talked about are Spurs and West Brom in the League Cup at Deepdale.
Ah, Spurs in the league cup I remember it very well - lost 1-2 in extra time... ( November 1971 )

it was a good Spurs team consisting of Chivers, Gilzean, Peters, Perryman, Coates, Beal, Knowles, Jennings etc etc

The crowd was 27,000

I was at the WBA league Cup game as well... think we lost 0-2 ??

Les Dagger was subject to quite a bit of ridicule mainly because if he was playing it meant Sir Tom was injured and therefore out of the team. Some people just couldn't accept the understudy..................idiots!
and yet he was my favourite player when I was 5 - which I got to tell him 30 years later at a cricket match !