PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Alex Neil - Back Him.

Jack Daniels

PNE-ONLINE Boxing Expert.
Patron
This thread is in direct response to the "Sack Him" thread.

I hope he remains and proves the doubters wrong.

He has shown some flexibility with his recent formations.

Clubs like Everton, Liverpool, Leicester (all Top 7 clubs as I type with World Class managers) obviously trust him with their prospects.

This summer is what it is all about. The current cycle of players has almost ended. Then and then only can people truly judge once the new season is 15 games in.

Whilst I concede results haven't been great this season, I still maintain that the B5 contract situation seriously affected team morale. We are now in a transition period of familiarity between the players. Whiteman, Gordon, Evans, Cunningham, Iversen, Molumby have proved to be more than decent whilst with SVDB and Lindsay I need to see more of. As The Smiths once sang, "These Things Take Time".

Purchase a proper striker in the summer and retain half of the loanees and we will have a decent basis for 21/22.

We won't get relegated with AN, we will always minimum be mid table. This is our sensible baseline to push on from.

I'm quite excited for the summer incomings.

Keep The Faith.

ANSWA.

Wow, I hope you have a decent quality tin hat!

I have supported Neil staying for a while and agree that there is still something about him that means he can always inspire a performance like last night from nowhere. I also think losing 8 and gaining 8 and still matching (probably should have beaten) QPR shows that he can be awesome still. I see very little point in firing a manager with his record given the crap that is on the unemployed circuit (apart from David Wagner).

The form is awful though, and the goal scoring record is frightening. He still needs a win at the weekend but again, if the only other option is Paul Cook or Gallagher on caretaker role, I still would probably still support him staying just by default.

I would love to be proved wrong with AN. I would have no problems holding my hand up but I dont think that will be the case. Whilst liking the man and wish him success he seems so limited and I still don't see what he is trying to do on the pitch. The football is so bad at times and the approach is surely largely to blame. He regularly gets outthought by the opposition manager.

I couldnt think of a realistic name to replace him nor do I think PR OR TH will act this season anyway.

If this was the last few months, then yeah I get where you’re coming from. It hasn’t been for a short period of time though has it, we’ve been largely dross (particularly at home) for what 14 months now.
The club won’t sack him this season, so we’ll see if he can turn it around & we get some good performances back (that’s the most important for me as good results follow that eventually).
In my opinion he’s had enough time & been paid handsomely to not do an awful lot.

Clubs like Everton, Liverpool, Leicester (all Top 7 clubs as I type with World Class managers) obviously trust him with their prospects.

This summer is what it is all about. The current cycle of players has almost ended. Then and then only can people truly judge once the new season is 15 games in.

Whilst I concede results haven't been great this season, I still maintain that the B5 contract situation seriously affected team morale. We are now in a transition period of familiarity between the players. Whiteman, Gordon, Evans, Cunningham, Iversen, Molumby have proved to be more than decent whilst with SVDB and Lindsay I need to see more of. As The Smiths once sang, "These Things Take Time".

Purchase a proper striker in the summer and retain half of the loanees and we will have a decent basis for 21/22.

We won't get relegated with AN, we will always minimum be mid table. This is our sensible baseline to push on from.

Keep The Faith.

ANSWA.
I'm all for this IF he still wants to be here.

If he's fed up and wants to leave, let him.

If he shows some enthusiasm in the summer and gets some good players? Keep him. He gets flack but he's still a good tactician.

L L W D L L W L L D - North Ends last 10 results, if that’s not worthy of being sacked it’s certainly worthy of the conversation.
8 points from a potential 30 and the football being played is horrid, how can we still confidently back him?
Bristol City’s manager sacked for a similar run, they bring in Pearson and beat Middlesbrough 3-1.
Personally think some fresh perspective and ideas is what the club and players need as it’s all very flat at the minute.
Neil Out!

Needs to get back to the high press system than works so well at this level.
Problem is, this system requires squad depth as players get fatigued and often get muscle injuries, as was the case in his 1st season. It crumbled as players were getting injured and cover just wasn’t there.

I agree that there’s a good manager in AN. Like people have said before, he needs to be given what he needs to do the job effectively and that comes from the top. Firmly believe that if he gets the targets he wants in the transfer window we’ll see an invigorated AN
COVID-19 hasn’t been easy for most people. All the measures, lack of interaction with others, routines changing. No excuses but footballers and AN are no different to any of us. They might earn a pretty penny, but they’re human and having to go through hoops to get games played in front of empty stadiums, wearing masks etc.
hopefully when the normal life resumes, we might see a resurgent North End

I do have a understanding in to why people may think that changing manager right now would be a mistake.

You always take a risk and hope for a bounce that turns what is quite a negative situation into more positive vibes. Also it can be difficult to find a long term replacement mid season.

However I think in the summer the manager will leave. He clearly isn't happy and has told anyone who will listen in the media that for the past 12 months.

He knew when he signed his new contract how the club operate and that wasn't going to change. I get as frustrated as anyone with the owner and believe Alex should have been backed last January but we all expected he wouldn't be and he wasn't.

We hear that the owner wants someone to buy out his contract... Neil seemingly tries to provoke Hemming, the situation isn't a way to run a successful football club.

We have managed to secure two of his key players and yet they are both desperately out of form (alongside many others).

Without going over everything again on other threads. I believe the club has become stale, the team has become stale and the whole feeling around the club is negative.

Much of that is down to Alex Neil and his negative, stubborn style of football.

We need a new pilioshpy on recruitment, blending in younger players and to get fans excited and wanting to be in Deepdale next season.

Next summer is huge and I am sorry Alex Neil is not the man to take that challenge on.

I think he will go on and do a decent job somewhere like he did when he first came in, much like Grayson it's just time for a change.

I've been a big Neil fan but think it's time to part ways in the summer. He's done all he can and really the standard of general performance has been poor in last 12 months bar a couple of good away performances and results.

There's still some decent players in the squad, particularly in midfield area, so wouldn't say it's a terrible state of affairs for whoever comes in next to take over but they're going to need ability to organise a defence and also find a good striker from somewhere to be top half competitive.

Interesting talking about backing him. I looked at the opposite dugout last night and Warburton is always manager I've rated. Probably of similar level to AN given he's done well at some clubs (Brentford) and not so well at others (Rangers). QPR weren't far off bottom 3 going into January and they backed him by getting in Austin (when they'd already signed two other forwards the previous summer) and since then their results have been incredible although left it too late to make a play off challenge.

Club have at least shown willingness at long last to get decent players on loan. Will Hemmings go further and commit to getting players of quality of Iversen and Gordon on season long loans as that would make a significant difference to how decent next season could be.

I've been a big Neil fan but think it's time to part ways in the summer. He's done all he can and really the standard of general performance has been poor in last 12 months bar a couple of good away performances and results.

There's still some decent players in the squad, particularly in midfield area, so wouldn't say it's a terrible state of affairs for whoever comes in next to take over but they're going to need ability to organise a defence and also find a good striker from somewhere to be top half competitive.

Interesting talking about backing him. I looked at the opposite dugout last night and Warburton is always manager I've rated. Probably of similar level to AN given he's done well at some clubs (Brentford) and not so well at others (Rangers). QPR weren't far off bottom 3 going into January and they backed him by getting in Austin (when they'd already signed two other forwards the previous summer) and since then their results have been incredible although left it too late to make a play off challenge.

Club have at least shown willingness at long last to get decent players on loan. Will Hemmings go further and commit to getting players of quality of Iversen and Gordon on season long loans as that would make a significant difference to how decent next season could be.
QPR fans were calling for his head not king ago. They have just gone on an unbeaten run to end up on the same points as us.

if AN got a good backing I’m sure we’d be pushing top 6

My concern is that if we back him and leave him in charge for the next 14 games then I think it could end in relegation......

There must be some other ( out of work ) manager out there who can come in and turn the team tactics / fortunes around....

The players are being stifled by Alex Neil at the moment and the morale seems low...

Keep The Faith.

ANSWA.
Every credit @Jack Daniels for a positive thread and offering a differing dynamic
It will be interesting reading views on this thread albeit my view which can and does shift is the style of football is rather dire to watch and has been for just a bit too long
Of course we watch so we can see a win but as football lovers we watch to enjoy an enjoyable style and sadly I just don’t think alex can deliver that
A lot to ask on an £8.40 budget ? For sure but I do reserve the right to be totally unreasonable as a fan

QPR fans were calling for his head not king ago. They have just gone on an unbeaten run to end up on the same points as us.

if AN got a good backing I’m sure we’d be pushing top 6

Yes they were but my point is one signing can totally transform a team and having Austin upfront for them has generally been the reason rather than Dykes or Macaluey Bonne.

Look how mediocre the start to the season was and I really don't believe they'd have been as many poor results at home if say Gordon had been in here from start of September. Where do people think the team would be in league now if say he'd been in from the Swansea game?

He featured in 3 prem games for Everton up to joining so not like he was some impossible player to get last summer.

This is where likes of Ridsdale coming out every 6 months and saying club is ambitious need to prove it and make sure they get the owner to commit to signing players of the calibre of Gordon and Iversen on season long loans as just getting them in mid season when it's just playing out the season now dosen't really change much.

Yes they were but my point is one signing can totally transform a team and having Austin upfront for them has generally been the reason rather than Dykes or Macaluey Bonne.

Look how mediocre the start to the season was and I really don't believe they'd have been as many poor results at home if say Gordon had been in here from start of September. Where do people think the team would be in league now if say he'd been in from the Swansea game?

He featured in 3 prem games for Everton up to joining so not like he was some impossible player to get last summer.

This is where likes of Ridsdale coming out every 6 months and saying club is ambitious need to prove it and make sure they get the owner to commit to signing players of the calibre of Gordon and Iversen on season long loans as just getting them in mid season when it's just playing out the season now dosen't really change much.
The problem is that these players haven't been brought in to push us forward, they're here because we had a crisis. Iverson to replace injured Rudd, Molumby to cover in case Browne or Johnson left, SVDB a last minute cover for Bauer and Lindsay a late cover for Davies. Only Whiteman, who was brought in because they knew BP was leaving and Gordon are really what you might call an attempt to improve the squad imo.