Alex Neil

utw

Reserve
Last night: Lampard brought on an extra defender. We changed formation pushing midfielders further forward.

Neil is precisely the kind of manager I want at North End. No wonder these players are playing with such belief.
Lampard brought on a defender and pushed the CM who was playing at RB further up the pitch. It wasn't exactly like they were playing with 5 at the back, though it may have happened at times with us attacking. But, Duane Holmes pushed further up and played in his actual position.

BeteNoir

First Team
As soon as we hit a bad patch the ones with little faith will turn against him again. Even JR at the time inferred his job could be on the line. I have no respect for those making judgemental decisions based on current form.

llanroc

Forum Patron
Patron
A friend of mine who has worked under both Neil and Grayson, told me some time ago that Neil makes Grayson look like a Sunday Pub League Manager, and that is from someone who got on well with Grayson. Neil is meticulous in his preparation for games. I would say Neil is more important to the club than any player we have.

utw

Reserve
A friend of mine who has worked under both Neil and Grayson, told me some time ago that Neil makes Grayson look like a Sunday Pub League Manager, and that is from someone who got on well with Grayson. Neil is meticulous in his preparation for games. I would say Neil is more important to the club than any player we have.
I know a former North End player quite well and he speaks to a few people at the club still. Said pretty much the same thing. Apparently, for the most part, the dressing room is as good as it's ever been under Grayson and the players enjoy working with the gaffer.

Yoowell

Forum Patron
Patron
All the ones calling for him to be sacked when we barely had a 5 a side team to pick from and now saying they have never been so happy for the upturn should be made to dress up as chickens for Blackburn A.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
Consistently winning football matches is the only thing that really matters when it comes to building a rapport with the support.

I rate Neil highly, even though there are aspects of his managerial style that I don't particularly like. His touchline demeanor, for example, seems extremely petulant and unpleasant at times. However, as far as I am concerned this minor personal criticism is immaterial given how well Neil has done. It almost certainly just reflects his passion and commitment for the cause anyway.

As long as the team is winning, it doesn't much matter, to me, if Neil doesn't rapturously applaud the fans after away games, sign every matchday programme, or trawl round local schools dressed as Deepdale Duck dishing out PNE tat to uninterested children.

If the manager is doing all of those frivolous things, but the team is failing, they won't do much to keep the fans sweet. It would be great if he did, but winning football matches is always the most important factor for engaging the fans and wider city.
i dont disagree Doc, and maybe dressing as the duck is a bit much, but theres absolutely nothing wrong with giving this part of his job a little bit more attention

for the record alex is first rate

kingpne

Manager
Lampard brought on a defender and pushed the CM who was playing at RB further up the pitch. It wasn't exactly like they were playing with 5 at the back, though it may have happened at times with us attacking. But, Duane Holmes pushed further up and played in his actual position.
Nah, they still played 5 at the back. Their full backs then turn into wing back, obviously, but still five at the back. Lampard said as much himself.

This is all true.

ernest

Manager
I know a former North End player quite well and he speaks to a few people at the club still. Said pretty much the same thing. Apparently, for the most part, the dressing room is as good as it's ever been under Grayson and the players enjoy working with the gaffer.
If Sunderland had got the then unemployed AN for themselves at the start of last season instead of paying us to get SG, paying more to get rid of him, paying the Welsh FA to get Coleman and then paying him off when they sacked him they might still be a Championship club. You have got to say that PR did some pretty smart business for us then.

pne1881

First Team
He's a really quality manager Alex he's excellent.

Maybe he could do a bit more work on connecting with the support
, Ive no idea how that can be achieved just a perspective I have.
I don't know why but this is the 1 thing that really gets on my wick with him. He always seems to have a chip on his shoulder & I still don't like the way he jumps up & down on the touchline although he seems to have improved with that. He's probably not the kind of guy to go & applaud the support every game (not just on his way up & down the touchline) but I still feel he could do more.

Having said all of that if he gets things right on the pitch I won't be arsed!

pne1881

First Team
Genuinely surprised by that. Doesn't come across to me as a guy you'd want to play for but obviously they do.

kbd_pne

Manager
Have to say I couldn’t care less about how much he claps the fans, whether he jumps around on the touchline or throws water bottles (Pep Guardiola did it yesterday).

There aren’t actually many lovey dovey nice guy managers around and I doubt they’d be very successful at a club like Preston where we have to be aggressive to compete at this level.

Also I doubt a few petulant reactions from AN in the heat of the moment on the sidelines in a game are truly reflective of how he deals with and man-manages players on a daily basis.

pne1881

First Team
Also I doubt a few petulant reactions from AN in the heat of the moment on the sidelines in a game are truly reflective of how he deals with and man-manages players on a daily basis.
I'd go the other way on that, I'd say in general that's exactly how he is with them.

Just think that's the way he is - take it or leave it.

Aitch

Forum Patron
Patron
I've met him once whilst he was eating out with his family. Happened to be at the counter at the same time to pay and he was very friendly and chatty. Maybe he's one of those guys who gets totally engrossed in the match and has a win at all costs attitude, but is a decent guy out of those match surroundings.

mapping

Forum Patron
Patron
Have to say I couldn’t care less about how much he claps the fans, whether he jumps around on the touchline or throws water bottles (Pep Guardiola did it yesterday).

There aren’t actually many lovey dovey nice guy managers around and I doubt they’d be very successful at a club like Preston where we have to be aggressive to compete at this level.

Agree , I couldn't be arsed if he never clapped a fan or whatever , but stick and carrot are needed to get the best out of players , maybe he gives carrots out in training and the dressing room and the stick on the side lines , so to a degree pne1881 and you are right , his persona on the touch line WILL have an impact on the players on the pitch thou

mapping

Forum Patron
Patron
i dont disagree Doc, and maybe dressing as the duck is a bit much, but theres absolutely nothing wrong with giving this part of his job a little bit more attention

for the record alex is first rate
Ps where the fuck you been hiding ( can't suss the multi quote thing yet any tutorials )

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
I'd go the other way on that, I'd say in general that's exactly how he is with them.

Just think that's the way he is - take it or leave it.
As long as he doesn't adopt the 'George Graham Guide to Squad Harmony' I'll be happy :p!!

Ps where the fuck you been hiding ( can't suss the multi quote thing yet any tutorials )
Now pay attention Senor Mapping.......

1. Hit the '+Quote' on the posts you wish to multi quote.
  2. Where you would normally make a new post you should see 'Quote Messages'. Click on this.
  3. You should now see a list of all the posts you wish to multi quote.
  4. Carry On, Keep Calm, and Stay White (am I allowed to say that?).
If none of that works PM me 🆒!!

mapping

Forum Patron
Patron
As long as he doesn't adopt the 'George Graham Guide to Squad Harmony' I'll be happy :p!!

Now pay attention Senor Mapping.......

1. Hit the '+Quote' on the posts you wish to multi quote.
  2. Where you would normally make a new post you should see 'Quote Messages'. Click on this.
  3. You should now see a list of all the posts you wish to multi quote.
  4. Carry On, Keep Calm, and Stay White (am I allowed to say that?).
If none of that works PM me 🆒!!
Ha ha nice one sid give that a go , how's your polar vortex ?