Alex Neil's position

BigMarkLeonard

First Team
Can't see him leaving what he's building here just yet, especially for a club like WBA. And I thought Jokanovic had already had talks? With three other OOC managers linked too. Neil seems an unlikely appointment.

Doc Brown

First Team
Neil is my favourite ever PNE manager for so many reasons. If he goes I'll be as gutted as when Tony Ellis joined Blackpool.
I wouldn't quite go that far, but Neil has proved himself to be, IMO, our best manager since at least King Billy with what he has achieved to date. He is absolutely vital to our chances of achieving promotion - we really must do all we can to keep him for the remainder of this and next season.

Rubadub

Forum Patron
Patron

Lairdinho

First Team
I noticed that Neil has come out and dismissed the rumours of having spoken to West Brom https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/preston-north-end-boss-alex-15973783

Also noticed that OddsChecker aren't listing him in their next manager betting (unless I'm blind) - would this be because he's ruled himself out, or betting is suspended because they think it's a dead cert?
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/manager-specials/west-brom/next-permanent-manager
He's favourite with PaddyPower and neck-and-neck on BetVictor https://www.betvictor.com/en-gb/sports/football-specials/manager-specials/coupons/982100/126456098/1050676800/0/0/PE/0/0/0/0/0

Staffordwhite

Forum Patron
Patron
Just heard from a very well connected pal in the media down here that AN is now top choice for the Albion job.
Worse than that, they believe he is 'keen to come'.
Make of it what you will, but the price for not backing him properly - and the likely sale(s) of star player(s) this summer - could be his departure.

epsilon

Reserve
Alex Neil has made himself quite clear ... imho

And also regarding lots of clubs in the same position as West Brom and Norwich.

Don't lose any sleep on this McGuink.

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
The more worrying thing for myself is who do you replace Alex with if he did go?

There isn't a great deal out there, just a load of shite useless unemployed managers like Hughes, Pardew, etc, none of which I would ever want here.

The only positive I can think of is that Alex stays and uses this to squeeze some extra summertime ££££s out of Hemmings for the 1st team.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
I agree epsilon; he took it on yesterday in the LEP and although he didnt say 'i'm going nowhere, under any circumstances' he was quite clear in his position, hes a nobber

look we'll face this now for the foreseeable, we're performing to where we all know we can, with injuries settled and new signings contributing to the team things are going in the right direction, this will attract attention but i am not worried about WBA speculation - just gut feeling and going off what i've seen of AN - but none of us are in any doubt that we're always vulnerable to poaching but summer will be more concerning to me

Bristol White

First Team
Big moment for the club imo and one that they should be using to their full advantage. 9 games left, big games coming up at home. What better way to rally the troops by a big statement of saying fuck off to West Brom whether there is any substance to the rumours or not.

kbd_pne

Manager
The more worrying thing for myself is who do you replace Alex with if he did go?

There isn't a great deal out there, just a load of shite useless unemployed managers like Hughes, Pardew, etc, none of which I would ever want here.

The only positive I can think of is that Alex stays and uses this to squeeze some extra summertime ££££s out of Hemmings for the 1st team.
I wondered the same about AN potentially using interest from other clubs as leverage to ask for more money to be spent, especially as we will again sell 1-2 players this summer (assuming we don’t go up!).

If we’re to challenge from the start of a season rather than playing catch up, we actually have to have a good summer transfer window for once. In the last few summers we’ve been far too passive in improving the team, which leaves us with a very important January and playing catch up.

llanroc

Forum Patron
Patron
I’m not after what Staffordwhite has just said. He is well connected in The Midlands.
I wouldn’t dispute anything Staffordwhite says, but there is a difference between him being their top choice and him going. We don't always get what we want. I will be gutted if AN leaves us but I can’t see him going to WBA.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
I wondered the same about AN potentially using interest from other clubs as leverage to ask for more money to be spent, especially as we will again sell 1-2 players this summer (assuming we don’t go up!).

If we’re to challenge from the start of a season rather than playing catch up, we actually have to have a good summer transfer window for once. In the last few summers we’ve been far too passive in improving the team, which leaves us with a very important January and playing catch up.
who do you think we'll be selling?
robinson? pearson?

you'd hope pearson and AN looking at giving next season (again assumption we dont go up) a real good go!