PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Allotments in Preston

Most of our olives (we only have a few trees) are sent to make oil, but I do keep a few Kalamata olives to eat and cure them in brine.

Good to know a bit of curing is the way to go, if I ever manage to grow a tree!

btw the finest selection of Olives Ive ever seen was in an olive souq in Riyadh. I didn't actually realise the vast variations. I'd argue the Italian varieties are the tastiest but I'm doubting you'll agree :)

Good to know a bit of curing is the way to go, if I ever manage to grow a tree!

btw the finest selection of Olives Ive ever seen was in an olive souq in Riyadh. I didn't actually realise the vast variations. I'd argue the Italian varieties are the tastiest but I'm doubting you'll agree :)

No argument here - the Italians grow some fine olives although, like the Greeks, I suspect you get the best up in the villages where they keep the tastiest for themselves.

The nicest olives are from old trees grown on steep mountain slopes - if you can find somewhere like that, all is well. :)

Most of our olives (we only have a few trees) are sent to make oil, but I do keep a few Kalamata olives to eat and cure them in brine.

Dear Zorba

When should I pick them ?
Do you take the stones out ?
And is the brine simply salt and water in a screw top jar ?
How long should I give them before tasting ?

Many thanks..

Slips.. Lancashire's No 1 olive producer !
(All two dozen of them..)

P.S. Global warming has its upside !

P.S. See we can get co-operate with our European cousins even when leaving the EU !

Last edited:
Dear Zorba

When should I pick them ?
Do you take the stones out ?
And is the brine simply salt and water in a screw top jar ?
How long should I give them before tasting ?

Many thanks..

Slips.. Lancashire's No 1 olive producer !
(All two dozen of them..)

P.S. Global warming has its upside !

P.S. See we can get co-operate with our European cousins even when leaving the EU !

Not sure when to pick them that far north - here, we tend to do it in the winter. You probably want to give them as much time to ripen as possible - let them turn black. If they start falling off the tree or start shrivelling, it is time.

To cure them, you need to make a slit in the skin, but be careful not to cut as deep as the pit. This lets the brine permeate into the meat of the olive.

Then, place them in a container with a brine solution of one part salt to ten parts water - you need to weight them down to make sure that they are fully submerged. A plate on top or something like that.

Cure for 6 - 8 weeks, but change the brine 1 or 2 times a week.

When ready, put the olives in a jar with some brine, add a dash of red wine vinegar, and a bit of olive oil on the top.

That's about it - I have no idea how things will turn out that far north, but its worth a try!

Dk0GVDlXoAEORuh.jpg

Christ, take it off before Mars sees it......... There could be a hundred illicit reasons for that picture......That's ganja they are growing isn't it , no doubt funding terrorists?

Make a good caption photo would that. :)

Christ, take it off before Mars sees it......... There could be a hundred illicit reasons for that picture......That's ganja they are growing isn't it , no doubt funding terrorists?

Make a good caption photo would that. :)

There's no jews in that picture. Racists ;)