PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Ando's Thread For Wine That Is Red

simples
new zealand Sauvignon Blanc, Villa Maria in top place
french Bordeaux, many chateaux, need to find the one you like
french cotes de RhƓne, many chateaux, need to find the one you like
Italian Pino Grigio, many chateaux, need to find the one you like

chardonnay; leave it for the Essex girls

Personal fave grapes are Argentinian Malbec, rioja and a nice chianti.

Best tasting wine I've had was from Naked Wines and it's the Benjamin Darnault roussillon villages

Drinking the Ian Botham Cab Sauv All Rounder tonight. Very watery but the mid-price range ones are quite good. Not tried the thirty quid range but theyā€™re supposed to be nice.

Went on a wine tour of Argentina, Chile and Uruguay on my honeymoon a couple of years ago.

Sauvignon blanc, decent choice, Grillo is another. Some folk avoid English wines but they have come on a long way these last few years. Chapel down is a good choice.

Drinking the Ian Botham Cab Sauv All Rounder tonight. Very watery but the mid-price range ones are quite good. Not tried the thirty quid range but theyā€™re supposed to be nice.

Went on a wine tour of Argentina, Chile and Uruguay on my honeymoon a couple of years ago.
I had one of his whites it was ok.

Whatever's the best ABV% for money that isn't too expensive.

Yeah, I'm cheap. That in mind Spar's own stuff isn't that bad...

One of the joys of following Ulster Rugby is going to the likes of Bordeaux. Stayed in Nice for a game in Toulon where rose has to be the drink of choice. Had plenty of cognac in Clermont in Jan. Delicious. They keep all the best stuff.

Going to Treviso again at the end of the month with four ladies so the Prosecco will be flowing for sure.

simples
new zealand Sauvignon Blanc, Villa Maria in top place
french Bordeaux, many chateaux, need to find the one you like
french cotes de RhƓne, many chateaux, need to find the one you like
Italian Pino Grigio, many chateaux, need to find the one you like

chardonnay; leave it for the Essex girls

Leave Chardonnay for the Essex girls?

OK mate....

Iā€™ve seen wines for 1 Euro fifty in Malag, thought okay we wil try, if itā€™s crap it goes down the drain. One of the best reds We had was a 2.75 bottle of Italian red from a supermarket in Lanzarote.

If you like decent quality Aussie quaffers, you might want to try the Yalumba Y Series of wines. Booths do a lovely organic Shiraz for a tenner a bottle, sometimes less when on a promotion. Majestic also used to do the Y Series Old Bush Grenache which was also a cracker, but I've not seen it anywhere for a while now. It's probably a few years since I last rolled my tongue around an Old ..... er...... sorry, I'm veeri g into Sid Snot territory now o_O:p

I enjoyed a spell of drinking south african pinotage, quite peppery. Love a nice chianti classico and rioja.

One of the best whites I have had was Esperanza got that from majestic. Some years ago now, a year or so back I went to a place near ribchester, some garden place with a cafe canā€™t remember the name, and ther was a wine shop there, we got a bottle of Indian wine, it was a tenner but I took a punt, it was top notch. Ive had some darn good English ones too.

For me itā€™s the contents of my rather extensive cellar
For riff raff like you lot thereā€™s nothing wrong with any villa maria wine
The thing to do is not be tempted with outlets such as Aldi who often sell a Barolo - generally not good - I would go more towards as someone has already said majestic - a valpolicella from there is the same price but will be a much better wine?
Quality over price and grape snobbery should always take priority
Thoughts?

Barolo is the regular favorite in this house but I have a lovely Brunello Di Montalcino waiting for a special occasion.
Nebbiolos as well. Almost all the other Piemonte reds and Southern Italian primitivos