PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Ando's Thread For Wine That Is Red

Ive had a few reds saved for years in my wine rack and we had a 1998 Chateau neuf du pape which we drank on Christmas day after letting it breath for an hour or so. AMAZING. We used to love a South African red called Rocco Bay, was lovely and quite cheap too. We used to go from Preston to Croston area to a garage on a corner can't remember the name , Dave Gil something, got burned down I seem to remember and didn't the owner get killed? They still have wines there but more expensive now. Now we can go to any degustation in France and taste as we buy, JP Chenet is good for the money, but bottles won't fit in wine rack! we also like Cote de Deauphinoise again reasonable in price but they all are in France. My personal favourite in white wine is Cote de Bergerac molleaux which tbh is a sweetish white but served chilled is wonderful. like pop. btw pop was so called due to the sound the top made on the coca cola bottle.

Although I'm more a fan of whisky and tend to drink more craft ales at home now, for wine there's absolutely no contest for me - 2015 Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon is hands down the best wine i've ever had - if you ever come across it, I implore you to try it. It's so full of fruity notes when you smell it, it almost smells like Ribena or something!

For white wine, my girlfriend and I are big fans of a Torrontes - Tesco did a 'Tesco's Finest' from Salta for £8 which is lovely.

I went to Monaco a couple of years ago and a friend of mine who was living there insisted I try a rosè he'd been drinking which, to this date, is the only one i've ever liked - OTT chateau de selle 2016 - really nice when I had it.. that could have been something to do with the sun & scenery too though I suppose

Talking of Barolos, I've never tried one - I was bought a bottle of 2014 Ricossa just before christmas which I'm yet to open

Will definitely be making my way through some of the recommendations here - great thread (y)

McGuigan Black Label Merlot 👍
I've been to the McGuigan cellar door in the Hunter Valley a few times, it's one of the few that actually sell their wines internationally (they actually said it was cheaper to buy their wine in Morrisons than direct from them there and then!).
Tyrells are my favourite, with Meerea Park a close second. Doesn't matter which type (Shiraz, Merlot, Cab Sav, etc) all are quality.

I've been to the McGuigan cellar door in the Hunter Valley a few times, it's one of the few that actually sell their wines internationally (they actually said it was cheaper to buy their wine in Morrisons than direct from them there and then!).
Tyrells are my favourite, with Meerea Park a close second. Doesn't matter which type (Shiraz, Merlot, Cab Sav, etc) all are quality.
Nice one Muzza. A couple more to add to my list! 👍

I've been to the Hunter Valley. I do like turning up at a party with a nice semillon.

Willy Willy from Laithwaites is good if you like Aussie shiraz.

I shared a magnum of 2005 Torbreck Les Amis with dinner last evening. Absolutely magnificent and my last bottle ;-(

Here in Catalunya we are spoiled for choice. Me and the missus will be enjoying these two tonight during and after dinner. On the left, a 2018 Cosecha. 2.59 euros.
On the right a 2016 Crianza. 2.70 euros. Both are medium bodied, full flavoured reds with a great taste.
IMG-20200214-181220.jpg

Organic Rioja doesn`t give me a hangover .
Found out by chance last year when given a couple of bottles and had a long night.
No ill effects at all, which is unusual for me after too much red wine.

I`ve repeated this experiment on several occasions to confirm. As you do.

The stuff in Morrisons with wire on is my favourite. Very smooth and mellow.