PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Anti-Spit Masks

MJB

Club President
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/06/met-police-pause-plan-to-introduce-spit-hoods

What are your thoughts on the introduction of these anti-spit masks?

i can't see an issue with them to be honest. Being spat on is one of the most disgusting things that can happen to someone. Add to that the danger of contracting something nasty makes them a no brainer

Liberty are making noises saying they degrading and dangerous for the nasty pieces of shit who spit at police, doctors and nurses etc. I reckon they need to spend a bit of time dealing with these scumbags.

spitting is disgusting, if anyone, when being arrested, does that then I couldnt give a stuff is these are used.

no problem, if someone spits, they deserve one putting on them.

wouldn't like to see them used as the norm.

could happily stick one on the folks that think it's ok to spit in the street too, disgusting habit.

Last edited:
Preston police use boxing / martial arts type padded headguards in these circumstances already and in cases where people try to self harm by banging their heads. Makes perfect sense in my view.

Isn't the argument against these, that they are more than likely to be used against people who are generally pretty vulnerable? Ok, there will be some who are just pissed and that's fine, but let's face it, the police aren't exactly renowned (at least that's the impression I have) for treating mentally ill people well.

Isn't the argument against these, that they are more than likely to be used against people who are generally pretty vulnerable? Ok, there will be some who are just pissed and that's fine, but let's face it, the police aren't exactly renowned (at least that's the impression I have) for treating mentally ill people well.

I don't think it matters whether or not the person doing the spitting is mentally unwell or not, if they are spitting it causes a risk to police, doctors, nurses etc, they need to be stopped by whatever appropriate means.

Not sure if you can catch any real nasties through saliva, maybe Hep B if you were really unlucky, and I think nurses and paramedics etc are vaccinated against that, not sure about the police though? Still it's a vile thing to do regardless of any health risks. I'd have no problem with them on that basis alone.

The Director of Liberty has a depressingly blinkered view. If these OTT "Liberal Lefties" would just rein back a bit, they might make more progress. I understand the sentiment that spit hoods don't belong in a civilised society... but neither does grotching aggressively in other people's eyes. To completely rule out spit hoods is just so ridiculous that normal people just stop listening to the noise coming out of their mouths... and so the really important messages that Liberty could deliver end up getting lost.

“Police have the power to use force against citizens when they have to – using handcuffs, arm restraints, leg restraints, pepper spray, batons. The suggestion that officers need to be able to cover people’s faces and heads is as far-fetched as it is frightening. Spit hoods belong in horror stories, not on the streets of a civilised society.”

I don't think any normal person would be against the use of these masks if someone has spat at a policeman. But what if a policeman thinks that a person MIGHT spit? You need to preemptively put it on... and then you're onto a slippery slope. A really difficult decision.

The Director of Liberty has a depressingly blinkered view. If these OTT "Liberal Lefties" would just rein back a bit, they might make more progress. I understand the sentiment that spit hoods don't belong in a civilised society... but neither does grotching aggressively in other people's eyes. To completely rule out spit hoods is just so ridiculous that normal people just stop listening to the noise coming out of their mouths... and so the really important messages that Liberty could deliver end up getting lost.

I don't think any normal person would be against the use of these masks if someone has spat at a policeman. But what if a policeman thinks that a person MIGHT spit? You need to preemptively put it on... and then you're onto a slippery slope. A really difficult decision.
I listened to the spokesperson from liberty, on the radio, and in fairness they said virtually those words.

They do have concerns about disabled people stating a case where an 11 year old Autistic girl had been masked by one of these. Apparently her illness was such that spitting was part of her every day life.

Its also fair to say the Police arent trained in mental health issues and decisions are often madein the spur of the moment.

Should these ever become the norm, when someone is arrested than I feel Liberty making a very good point in raising awareness.

If there weren't pressure groups like Liberty, God only knows what state this country would be in.

If there weren't pressure groups like Liberty, God only knows what state this country would be in.

True. And it could be better if they worked smarter.

It's a human trait, when we get in groups, to feed off each others' passion for a subject and I guess that pressure groups sometimes talk themselves into a frenzy of anti-establishmentarianism and end up crying wolf too often.

True. And it could be better if they worked smarter.

It's a human trait, when we get in groups, to feed off each others' passion for a subject and I guess that pressure groups sometimes talk themselves into a frenzy of anti-establishmentarianism and end up crying wolf too often.

Except this isn't crying wolf. The police do a difficult job, but they (and the prisons and thus ultimately the governments) don't really do themselves any favours in terms of how we deal with offenders, alleged or real.

Except this isn't crying wolf. The police do a difficult job, but they (and the prisons and thus ultimately the governments) don't really do themselves any favours in terms of how we deal with offenders, alleged or real.

If the truth is that the Guardian's story (in the OP) was not a good representation of what she said, then fine. I was reacting to that article, in which she indicated that there was absolutely no place for spit masks in this society.

There seems to be general agreement that amongst normal people that there is a place for spit masks.

Its a good point especially as we now have a Govt that is going headlong into "Altering," I`ll put it politely, our human rights.

If the truth is that the Guardian's story (in the OP) was not a good representation of what she said, then fine. I was reacting to that article, in which she indicated that there was absolutely no place for spit masks in this society.

There seems to be general agreement that amongst normal people that there is a place for spit masks.

Is that based on the folk who frequent this forum?