Are the players over-coached?

JohnPNE

Manager
I think he has a point in the fact that one up front does/can work. Anybody who thinks just playing with two strikers is going to make us start scoring goals obviously doesn’t know football because our strikers are shit. I would rather have one shit striker up front than two shit ones side by side.

however what our players need to do is support our strikers more. We need barky and Sinclair close to the strikers rather thanstill marking their left winger just in case he gets the ball.

Delaney

Forum Patron
Patron

Neil has listed a number of players who play as the lone striker who would walk into our team. Appears to have slightly missed the point.
Sounds like a manager pissed off that the owner hasn't backed him to get one of the most important players he needs for his system trying to say to other clubs that if they buy him a top striker he'll get them up.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
I think he has a point in the fact that one up front does/can work. Anybody who thinks just playing with two strikers is going to make us start scoring goals obviously doesn’t know football because our strikers are shit. I would rather have one shit striker up front than two shit ones side by side.

however what our players need to do is support our strikers more. We need barky and Sinclair close to the strikers rather thanstill marking their left winger just in case he gets the ball.
Of course it works, with the right front man. I think the frustrations from the fans is we don't have the right front man so stop playing it for 90 minutes every single game.

Try something new, mix it up, have some fluidity, allow the wingers to swap without having to be told, give someone a free role, tell Maguire to stay within the width of the penalty box, maybe try 2 further up the pitch for more than 5 minutes before you panic because the opposition actually had a bit of space etc etc etc.

Of course it works, with the right front man. I think the frustrations from the fans is we don't have the right front man so stop playing it for 90 minutes every single game.

Try something new, mix it up, have some fluidity, allow the wingers to swap without having to be told, give someone a free role, tell Maguire to stay within the width of the penalty box, maybe try 2 further up the pitch for more than 5 minutes before you panic because the opposition actually had a bit of space etc etc etc.
Completely agree with this - said as much in another thread. It's not AN's fault he hasn't been backed in the transfer market but we are where we are; adapt or die.

lenny

Manager
He’s either just told Derby exactly how we are going to play , but they probably knew that any how we are so predictable. Or it’s a ruse and we are going to change our shape to something completely different. I know which one I think it is unfortunately .

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
There’s a lot in this
For those who’ve coached youngsters you will know what i mean
You spend hours coaching, mentoring and offering pastoral care
Then they go on the pitch and suddenly mum and dad or even uncle brown know oh so much better
And before you know it the player has spun themselves into the ground in a myriad of confused advice

pne_monster

Manager
There’s a lot in this
For those who’ve coached youngsters you will know what i mean
You spend hours coaching, mentoring and offering pastoral care
Then they go on the pitch and suddenly mum and dad or even uncle brown know oh so much better
And before you know it the player has spun themselves into the ground in a myriad of confused advice
Maybe over coached, maybe conflicting information, maybe information that to the players doesn’t fit with what they’re seeing on the pitch?

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
Maybe over coached, maybe conflicting information, maybe information that to the players doesn’t fit with what they’re seeing on the pitch?
Yes
plus theres how we absorb information. Visual, kinaesthetics, written. Etc. Drawing pictures of the nets, a ball and and an arrow on a damp clipboard isn’t for everyone

pne_monster

Manager
Yes
plus theres how we absorb information. Visual, kinaesthetics, written. Etc. Drawing pictures of the nets, a ball and and an arrow on a damp clipboard isn’t for everyone
Well, the “learning styles” philosophy has drawn some criticism recently but I get your point.

llanroc

Forum Patron
Patron
I know the game’s moved on, but talking to Mike Elwiss for NES2, he recalled how Harry Catterick gave him instruction after instruction about what he should do in all sorts of situations.

Mike said that when he got on the ball, he couldn’t play his natural game and was trying to remember what he was supposed to be doing according to Harry’s instructions.

As such, he got caught in two minds and ended up doing nothing. After a few games, he knocked it on the head, nodded politely to the manager then ignored him and went back to playing his ‘normal game’ ie - scoring goals. :)

I think the same when I see some of our lads now. They look as if they are so well-drilled, any flair or spontaneity is taken away from them and their first thought is ‘now, what am I supposed to do here?’.

They’ll also have seen our only genuine flair player (Harrop) is benched, seemingly for not following orders. :(

Cracked me up at Luton last week when Bodin and Stockley were delayed coming on because they were getting instructions - in the 89th minute.:unsure:

How about ‘Quick! You two! Get out there and score a bloody goal!’

Isn’t it time, especially given our run of results, for AN to drop the ‘tactical genius’ approach and get back to letting these lads just play?
Spot on. It’s very noticeable these days with the full backs rarely venturing beyond the half way line.

I‘m sure the OP is spot on, and it’s time to trust in our players abilities. AN, for me has shown what a good Manager he is, but imo he has his favourites and can be a very stubborn so and so when it comes to tactics.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
"The system is perfectly fine because if we had different players it would work really well" (I'm paraphrasing).

It's a view I suppose.
Thats what i took from it reading between the lines.

Our strikers work hard but arent good enough. The system works. It's amazing with such poor striking options we are where we are