PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Are the players over-coached?

The Barkhuizen argument is an interesting one. I crunched the numbers a while ago from his first half season with us and deduced that Barkhuizen starting in a Grayson team was akin to starting 1-0 up. Alex Neil hasn't been able to get that level of performance out of him.
Alex Neil has stifled Barkys attacking threat to the point where it's now almost non existent.
Sinclair will go the same way.
They'll make decent defenders though...............

Alex Neil has stifled Barkys attacking threat to the point where it's now almost non existent.
Sinclair will go the same way.
They'll make decent defenders though...............

9 goals and 5 assists this season for Barky isn’t non-existent.

Can someone please explain the merits of having every player in the box when the opposition have a corner?
Another AN master plan that invites pressure as there's no outlet so even if we win the defensive header it comes straight back.
Leaving one on or near halfway means they leave one of two to mark him, so we outnumber them in our area for the corner and have potentially an out if we get possession.
Simple or maybe I'm simple.............

Its been interesting reading @Staffordwhite 2 books, particularly the players that played under Irvine, all said that he was the most tactically aware manager they ever played under. Yet it was only when he seemingly let the players off the shackles, am I allowed to say that? :) that we went on that truly amazing end of season run to make the play offs.

The 2 games against Sheffield Utd looked like they'd been put back on again.

Perhaps AN, like others have said, should now just say, like Irvine appeared to do, say to them lets revert back to what we we werereally good at and just let them go for it.

To the op absolutely yes, where are our creative footballers? Who would say to Messi right lad nothing flash, keep possession play it the way you are facing. Kids through to men’s football are now robots playing to a system, any natural spark or ability is being coached out of them!

Thinking back we’ve never been the same since they started looking at why we had so many hamstring injuries.....I wonder if something changed.

Thinking back we’ve never been the same since they started looking at why we had so many hamstring injuries.....I wonder if something changed.
They probably got told to stop doing all the pressing.

And without that gimmick, we do look pretty workmanlike.

Its like painting by numbers but with players. The only problem is when we get near their goal and the required numbers are not there to 'paint' we don't know what to do, and start to pass back and sideways, colouring patches already painted, until we run out of steam, lose position and if we are lucky concede a foul or as so often happens make a mistake that lets the opposition in to score.
Painting by numbers, or playing to precise instructions, will only get us so far. We need to let players show flair, inventiveness and initiative. Otherwise the game is not worth watching.
We have become lethargic, predictable and boring ...................

Its like painting by numbers but with players. The only problem is when we get near their goal and the required numbers are not there to 'paint' we don't know what to do, and start to pass back and sideways, colouring patches already painted, until we run out of steam, lose position and if we are lucky concede a foul or as so often happens make a mistake that lets the opposition in to score.
Painting by numbers, or playing to precise instructions, will only get us so far. We need to let players show flair, inventiveness and initiative. Otherwise the game is not worth watching.
We have become lethargic, predictable and boring ...................
Last night Exeter tried to play football that was quite nice to watch , especially second half, but when near the 18 yd box tried to be clever and walk it in. On the other hand Northampton played a direct game, kept getting the ball in the box ASAP and peppered the Exeter goal especially with headers from the two guys up front [hope Stockley was watching] Guess who won 4-0.

Neil has listed a number of players who play as the lone striker who would walk into our team. Appears to have slightly missed the point.

He's making excuses for excuse's sake at this point and thankfully the majority of PNE fans can see right through them.

Neil has listed a number of players who play as the lone striker who would walk into our team. Appears to have slightly missed the point.
"The system is perfectly fine because if we had different players it would work really well" (I'm paraphrasing).

It's a view I suppose.

The more I listen to AN and the more you realise he seems to be missing what the majority of fans are witnessing with each game.
I hope for tomorrow he gets things right and allows the team to play with more freedom and creativity and does not send a team out that seems more intent with trying not to lose the game than actually trying to win it. 🙄