PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Athletics Thread

Regardless

-
Patron
Worth its own thread - but really I wanted an excuse to post this story :D

Start with the massive news :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: that world champion sprinter Noah Lyles absolutely smashed Usain Bolt's world record time (19.19s) in a 200m race... crossing the line in 18.90s

They had used high technology to create an big televised event - to have top runners running in different stadia around the world, to run simultaneously and so appear on TV 'side by side'. All that hard work to synchronise everything.... but seeing Lyles' fantastic time immediately raised suspicions. It took them 5 minutes to realise that the officials had placed his starting blocks in the wrong place... so he had 15m head start over everyone else. What a cock up :D

Start with the massive news :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: that world champion sprinter Noah Lyles absolutely smashed Usain Bolt's world record time (19.19s) in a 200m race... crossing the line in 18.90s

They had used high technology to create an big televised event - to have top runners running in different stadia around the world, to run simultaneously and so appear on TV 'side by side'. All that hard work to synchronise everything.... but seeing Lyles' fantastic time immediately raised suspicions. It took them 5 minutes to realise that the officials had placed his starting blocks in the wrong place... so he had 15m head start over everyone else. What a cock up :D

When they'd set the track up they went straight to the VAR studio.

Useless.

Noahs Ark gradually sank as Lyle realised the result wasn't quite so sweet after all.

My goodness, Ingebrigtsen is massive and going to be almost as big as Usain Bolt in a few years IMO. Duplantis in the pole vault looks pretty immense too but I guess the event he does will put a limit on his superstar status.

Further down- did anyone see Kelly Hodginson (from Leigh) win the 800m gold tonight? Only turned 19 this week. Looked great!

My goodness, Ingebrigtsen is massive and going to be almost as big as Usain Bolt in a few years IMO. Duplantis in the pole vault looks pretty immense too but I guess the event he does will put a limit on his superstar status.

Further down- did anyone see Kelly Hodginson (from Leigh) win the 800m gold tonight? Only turned 19 this week. Looked great!

Bold of you to assume I'm watching any running event over 400 meters in length

I've been fortunate to watch Keeley since she was an under 11 running for Leigh Harriers. Her coach at the time Margaret Galvin did a great job and she always appeared destined for a very good future, however I don't think anyone could have predicted how well she would actually do and what she would achieve by the age of 19 (just)
Trevor Painter who is Jenny Meadows husband and who was Jenny's coach took over Keeley's coaching in 2019 due to Margaret's health, Trevor has obviously taken Keeley to the next level. Jenny and Keeley are similar athletes which I guess has helped. I believe Keeley has a real chance of making the Olympic final and if we get a level playing field, who knows, even a medal.

British women's middle distance is in a very strong place at the moment with some incredible talent coming through, Ellie Baker and Izzy Boffey also made the final as relative youngsters in the 800m and we had success in the 1500 & 3000m. Some of the big guns opted to miss the European indoors to focus on the Olympics, with the exception of Laura Muir, they may find it hard to actually get a place on the plane to Tokyo.

With regard to Jakob Ingebrigtsen, I agree what an incredible talent, who has surpassed the achievements of his extremely talented older brothers, what a family of runners

side topic but related; does anyone know anything about harriers and how to get involved with the junior side, like what age it starts from etc? found the website to be utter shite at explaining at juniors joining, what the process is etc.

if anyone has any clear advice please pm

I've been fortunate to watch Keeley since she was an under 11 running for Leigh Harriers. Her coach at the time Margaret Galvin did a great job and she always appeared destined for a very good future, however I don't think anyone could have predicted how well she would actually do and what she would achieve by the age of 19 (just)
Trevor Painter who is Jenny Meadows husband and who was Jenny's coach took over Keeley's coaching in 2019 due to Margaret's health, Trevor has obviously taken Keeley to the next level. Jenny and Keeley are similar athletes which I guess has helped. I believe Keeley has a real chance of making the Olympic final and if we get a level playing field, who knows, even a medal.

British women's middle distance is in a very strong place at the moment with some incredible talent coming through, Ellie Baker and Izzy Boffey also made the final as relative youngsters in the 800m and we had success in the 1500 & 3000m. Some of the big guns opted to miss the European indoors to focus on the Olympics, with the exception of Laura Muir, they may find it hard to actually get a place on the plane to Tokyo.

With regard to Jakob Ingebrigtsen, I agree what an incredible talent, who has surpassed the achievements of his extremely talented older brothers, what a family of runners

Great stuff pbc. Presumably you or a family member involved.

Jemma Reekey surely on the plane to Tokyo as well.

Bold of you to assume I'm watching any running event over 400 meters in length
1500m the limit for me and that’s if we’ve got a decent runner in it.

Watched Sir Mo in his triumphs in 2012 though in the 5000 and 10,000 though.

That 10,000m win is one of the best sporting moments of recent times.

1500m the limit for me and that’s if we’ve got a decent runner in it.

Watched Sir Mo in his triumphs in 2012 though in the 5000 and 10,000 though.

That 10,000m win is one of the best sporting moments of recent times.

Guess a T20 cricket match is beyond your limit, let alone a test match- and do you sit through a full footy match or just turn up at half time, ready for the climax? 😁

I know what you mean. 2/4 laps is long enough to get some decent tactical battles developing - yet all be done and dusted quickly. But if you have the time, the ebb and flow of a marathon can be really absorbing.

side topic but related; does anyone know anything about harriers and how to get involved with the junior side, like what age it starts from etc? found the website to be utter shite at explaining at juniors joining, what the process is etc.

It's up in the air at the moment with obviously no training taking place at present. As a rule a youngster can apply to join from age 8 at which stage there is a general session covering all disciplines of athletics, in summer it's held at Cottam, in winter indoors at various high schools. I hope that helps, PM me if you want any more info and I will try to help.

Great stuff pbc. Presumably you or a family member involved.

Jemma Reekey surely on the plane to Tokyo as well.
Jemma Reekie deffo in the mix as you say.

I'm involved, coached a young girl at the time who battled it out with Keeley at under 11 and under 13 over cross country and on the track. The young lady who I coached switched events to 400m hurdles (I coached the 400 side of things, hurdles is too technical for me)and they both ended up going to the European under 18 Championships in Hungary. Keeley won the 800m my athlete came 5th in the final. One is now European Champion the other in the States on a scholarship. Hopefully she will continue to improve out there and maybe come back knocking on the door of the UK team, has the ability but been held back by injuries over the past 12 months. They remain great friends.
I currently have 6 athletes who I coached out in the USA, one being my daughter and another due to go out in August.

Jemma Reekie deffo in the mix as you say.

I'm involved, coached a young girl at the time who battled it out with Keeley at under 11 and under 13 over cross country and on the track. The young lady who I coached switched events to 400m hurdles (I coached the 400 side of things, hurdles is too technical for me)and they both ended up going to the European under 18 Championships in Hungary. Keeley won the 800m my athlete came 5th in the final. One is now European Champion the other in the States on a scholarship. Hopefully she will continue to improve out there and maybe come back knocking on the door of the UK team, has the ability but been held back by injuries over the past 12 months. They remain great friends.
I currently have 6 athletes who I coached out in the USA, one being my daughter and another due to go out in August.
Not jealous at all here mate, but living the dream springs to mind

OK, yes I am jealous. Seems like you're having not only a whale of a time time but doing a great job too!!

Could I suggest Blackburn Harriers, I know they have an excellent Junior section and the facilities at witton Park are 2nd to none.

Thanks a lot will investigate 👍🏻
A couple of my kids are at Preston Harriers, or at least were until about a year ago!! They train at UCLAN but there's something going on there which I'm not too sure about. Think they're getting kicked out. The guy who we first liaised with to get them involved a few years back passed away recently but will see if I can dig out some alternative contact details and let you know

A couple of my kids are at Preston Harriers, or at least were until about a year ago!! They train at UCLAN but there's something going on there which I'm not too sure about. Think they're getting kicked out. The guy who we first liaised with to get them involved a few years back passed away recently but will see if I can dig out some alternative contact details and let you know
cheers bigtallsi!
just had a few pms with @pbc373 actually, and got a bit more of a grip on things
outside current restrictions applications are considered and theres waiting lists etc, and to be honest, probs just due to popularity of the sport full stop, accessibility looks a bit more tricky than say it is for sports like football

but good info cheers to everyone who have chipped in (y)

Be interesting to see how this girl develops - young sports’ prodigies normally fall by the wayside- but she just completely smashed the world 5km record for her age (12).

16:40, which is believed to be 26 seconds faster than the previous world’s best officially recorded time.

Be interesting to see how this girl develops - young sports’ prodigies normally fall by the wayside- but she just completely smashed the world 5km record for her age (12).

16:40, which is believed to be 26 seconds faster than the previous world’s best officially recorded time.

Unbelievable time for her age and I congratulate her. My opinion is she is doing far too much mileage for age. I'd sadly expect her to burn out in a few years time and other health issues, both physical and mental will arrive with it.

Here's an article on Bobby Clay, a young lady I watched from 13 years of age. A sad storey and there are plenty of other similar stories out there. There is enough in the media now to educate both parents and coaches, sadly some people want the glory and now and to hell with the consequences. I don't really blame parents for this sort of thing happening, but coaches should know better. That said if you have an obsessive athlete and parents it is difficult to track exactly what they are doing outside of organised training sessions.

Unbelievable time for her age and I congratulate her. My opinion is she is doing far too much mileage for age. I'd sadly expect her to burn out in a few years time and other health issues, both physical and mental will arrive with it.

Here's an article on Bobby Clay, a young lady I watched from 13 years of age. A sad storey and there are plenty of other similar stories out there. There is enough in the media now to educate both parents and coaches, sadly some people want the glory and now and to hell with the consequences. I don't really blame parents for this sort of thing happening, but coaches should know better. That said if you have an obsessive athlete and parents it is difficult to track exactly what they are doing outside of organised training sessions.

That’s a really salutary tale. Is Bobby hopeful of an elite (or semi-elite) athletics career? Or is the damage too much?

I trust that this girl’s coaches will be watching her closely.

I must say that I have always been surprised that Park Run allow 4yr olds to participate in adult 5k “races”.