PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Athletics Thread

Unbelievable time for her age and I congratulate her. My opinion is she is doing far too much mileage for age. I'd sadly expect her to burn out in a few years time and other health issues, both physical and mental will arrive with it.

Here's an article on Bobby Clay, a young lady I watched from 13 years of age. A sad storey and there are plenty of other similar stories out there. There is enough in the media now to educate both parents and coaches, sadly some people want the glory and now and to hell with the consequences. I don't really blame parents for this sort of thing happening, but coaches should know better. That said if you have an obsessive athlete and parents it is difficult to track exactly what they are doing outside of organised training sessions.

Flippin ekk! That's some story.

We've spoke on athletics, one of my favourite sports to watch and I keep an arm's length interest but the more I learn about it the more antiquated and just plain fucking weird it sounds. That's a general view of course, but it's miles off being as inclusive and welcoming as most other junior sports even with their cliques. Sad.

Flippin ekk! That's some story.

We've spoke on athletics, one of my favourite sports to watch and I keep an arm's length interest but the more I learn about it the more antiquated and just plain fucking weird it sounds. That's a general view of course, but it's miles off being as inclusive and welcoming as most other junior sports even with their cliques. Sad.
Sadly I can't disagree, here's a report on UKA from 2020, some truly shocking revelations in it. It's disgraceful at the top and at club level it's in the main run by dinosaurs.

Since this report things have got no better, leading the various leagues to write to UKA stating there has been no improvement and demanding change. It's a shame as there are some fantastic hardworking volunteers, parents and very talented youngsters in the sport.

That’s a really salutary tale. Is Bobby hopeful of an elite (or semi-elite) athletics career? Or is the damage too much?

I trust that this girl’s coaches will be watching her closely.

I must say that I have always been surprised that Park Run allow 4yr olds to participate in adult 5k “races”
I don't really know, it's possible. There was a young North West runner Jess Coulson, now Piasecki who pretty much suffered the same fate, although perhaps never as bad as Bobby. Jess is a wonderful young women who has devoted time going around the country educating coaches and female athletes of the dangers young women face. She spoke to my group and struggled to hold back the tears when she relived her experiences. The good news is Jess has recovered and has been selected for the marathon at the Tokyo Olympics, so hope for Bobby

Athletics is in the bin.

Some New Zealand bloke who wasn’t very good at weightlifting has had a sex change.

So this bloke is now female, broken womens world records, won multiple gold medals, and will now compete in the Olympics as a woman. The fucker still looks like a bloke.

Farcical. All the guys who aren’t top level male athletes all filing for sex changes so they can win.

Some absolute class athletics from Gateshead tonight in atrocious conditions. The lovely Dina. Asher-Smith blew away a good field in the hundred. Laura Muir smashed to the 1500m - not such a class field... but the best bit was just watching them battle the wind and rain. Especially the pole-vaulters. Looked a bit dangerous actually - and a rare defeat for Duplantis.

But all completely overshadowed by tragedy in China - where 21 runners have been killed in an ultramarathon - including some elites :(

Not looking good for Mo Farah in his quest for another medal at the Olympics. He didn't achieve the qualifying standard in the 10k at the British Trials at weekend, finishing second Brit behind Marc Scott. Scott already has the qualifying standard so is on the plane. Farah has 3 weeks to run the standard which he was 20 odd seconds outside of on Saturday. It won't be easy to find a competitive 10k between now and then, so he may have to switch to the 5k which he could run at the British Champs at the end of June. Added to that Farah is complaining of nursing an ankle injury.

Not looking good for Mo Farah in his quest for another medal at the Olympics. He didn't achieve the qualifying standard in the 10k at the British Trials at weekend, finishing second Brit behind Marc Scott. Scott already has the qualifying standard so is on the plane. Farah has 3 weeks to run the standard which he was 20 odd seconds outside of on Saturday. It won't be easy to find a competitive 10k between now and then, so he may have to switch to the 5k which he could run at the British Champs at the end of June. Added to that Farah is complaining of nursing an ankle injury.
Yep big shame for Mo. Mind you, if he manages to scrape through, I really don't want his rep tarnished by a lowly performance in Japan, despite how much he wants to go for it. Like the Usain Bolt thing all over again - bowing out on a blip.

Do you reckon he's a drugs cheat pbc?
Btw, I've no agenda or opinion, his Olympic races have all been incredible.

Do you reckon he's a drugs cheat pbc?
Btw, I've no agenda or opinion, his Olympic races have all been incredible.
I wouldn't like to say on a public forum. Some athletes push the rules as far as they can, if others don't, is it a case of more fool them. For instance you could take asthma medication, without suffering from asthma as long as they were not banned substances. You could push your iron levels up to the max, even if they were adequate to begin with. There is a school of thought that even taking paracetamol can reduce the onset of pain during a race. The use of TUE's.
I know quite well one of the ex British Athletics Doctor's, he resigned after a training camp to Font Romeu as was not comfortable with such things and felt he was not being backed by UKA.

On a separate issue Danny Mills the ex England International who made his name at Leeds, has a son called George who is having an exceptional season, ran 3.36 for 1500 last night in Prague, on the back of a 1.46, 800 ten days ago. One to watch out for, maybe not this year but perhaps when it comes to qualifying for the major tournaments over the next few years. Some real talent ahead of him though, so needs to continue his improvement.

Our middle distance both in the men's and women's is really strong at present and we are as close to the halcyon days of the Coe, Ovett, Cram & Holmes etc as we have ever been. Unbelievably we have 6 women under 2 minutes for 800 already this year, 5 with the Olympic qualifying standard. The British Champs at Sports City should be excellent at the end of the month.

A world record has just been set. “Backyard” Ultra marathons have had growing popularity. Objective: Everyone starts a loop of 4.167 miles. They must complete it and be ready on the start line exactly 1hr later - or they are eliminated. No breaks. If you want to sleep, you better run quick and grab 5 mins shut-eye before the hourly bell goes again. This goes on and on until only one runner remains, who must complete one lap more to be declared the winner. Everyone else is a “Did Not Finish”.

133 runners set off in Suffolk 3 days and 4 hours ago. After 36 hours, there were still 4 left but after 37, it was down to two. Now… the remaining two lads (aged 35&41) are still battling each other and not giving up.

76 laps completed (the previous world record was 75). 316 miles. They completed the last lap (4.17m) in an incredible 49 minutes. To me it feels dangerous now but bloody hell, those guys are some endurance athletes.

A world record has just been set. “Backyard” Ultra marathons have had growing popularity. Objective: Everyone starts a loop of 4.167 miles. They must complete it and be ready on the start line exactly 1hr later - or they are eliminated. No breaks. If you want to sleep, you better run quick and grab 5 mins shut-eye before the hourly bell goes again. This goes on and on until only one runner remains, who must complete one lap more to be declared the winner. Everyone else is a “Did Not Finish”.

133 runners set off in Suffolk 3 days and 4 hours ago. After 36 hours, there were still 4 left but after 37, it was down to two. Now… the remaining two lads (aged 35&41) are still battling each other and not giving up.

76 laps completed (the previous world record was 75). 316 miles. They completed the last lap (4.17m) in an incredible 49 minutes. To me it feels dangerous now but bloody hell, those guys are some endurance athletes.
There was a TV program about this a few months ago. Amazing athletes.

They were on lap 80 last time I looked - one looks fresh as a daisy, the other like the walking dead but I still wouldn't like to call a winner.

Friends' Facebook pages posting (still) pictures.

Actually, the fresh one has dropped out. As per the rules I described earlier, the other guy must complete one more 4.2m lap within the hour to win. If he fails, there will be no winner. All will have failed to finish!

Athletics is in the bin.

Some New Zealand bloke who wasn’t very good at weightlifting has had a sex change.

So this bloke is now female, broken womens world records, won multiple gold medals, and will now compete in the Olympics as a woman. The fucker still looks like a bloke.

Farcical. All the guys who aren’t top level male athletes all filing for sex changes so they can win.

Maybe all those world records that still stand from the ‘80s would finally be in danger......

British youngsters putting in some excellent performances this week. 23 year old Josh Kerr broke Seb Coe's 37 year old record of the fastest 1500m time run on American soil running 3.31.55. Oliver Dustin a Cumbrian lad who I think is 21 ran a world leading 1.43.82 in Nice.
From a local point of view Patrick Dever a Leyland lad won the 10,000m at the American Universities NCAA championships and followed it up by running just outside the Olympic Standard in the 5000m. Tiarnan Crokren from East Lancs ran the qualifying time for the European U23 Championships in the 1500m