PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Attacking Brand

noelpne

Patron
A bit harsh Noel! I can emphatically confirm that I am not Peter Ridsdale, I am not related to Peter Ridsdale and I've never sold him a second hand motor.
I'm just an ordinary nobber called Tony who happens to live in Switzerland.
Please accept Apologies, Toni.

My reasoning is from some Comedy Programme, (hope you can recall this??) and him-at-Deepdale reminds me of that dodgy salesman.

Sorry again, Toni.

OB1

Patron
Troy Parrott before he signed for us

Feels like he's either due a great run, or we've knocked what's good about him out of his system.

Or he’s playing in the level above what he’s capable of?

That doesn’t show how many chances he missed in League 1 last season so we don’t know the conversion rate, and you get far more time to think against poorer goalkeepers at that level. He only scored 10 in the most attacking team in the league, so he’s not exactly clinical even in a lower league

noelpne

Patron
I don’t even think it’s Riis and Parrott that are the biggest issue with our lack of goals. Granted both haven’t been at their best so far this season but there’s a lot worse strike forces in this division.

That right hand side of Storey and Potts is killing us imo. Fair play to Storey he’s been excellent defensively but he’s a CCB all day long. Potts going forward is really, really bad as well. If our plan is to always use the left side of Hughes, DJ and Brady then it’s not hard for teams to nullify us.
Potts wasn't getting the service that perhaps he should be getting. He's not getting passed to enough. Either (A) the guy(s) with the ball isn't/aren't getting instruction to utilise the RWB , or (B)it's "something personal"against Potts, by more than one team-mate. I don't for a second think it's (B).
Pott's positioning has improved since the opening game at Wigan, but he still needs work on running with the ball in the general direction of the flag, to cross to the centre.
He needs to raise his confidence levels to take the defenders on & needs someone to help him. Most players would in his position would:as attackers are almost always outnumbered.
I believe Brad Pott's best use as the rhs Wing Back , is to receive more of those high deep almost diagonal crosses that Brady on the other side launched over so successfully. If not Brady doing that, Fernandez , or at a push, DJ ?
But there has to be someone in support of our (usually Brad at) RWB , to help him. Only the very top guys can do a reasonable job on their own up there.

Troy isn't a goal scorer at this level simple as, league one is his level just look at his record it speaks for itself. He won't ever play for Tottenham much if ever and will eventually be sold on to the lower leagues or abroad, for me a mistake bringing him here , sorry 😞
Harry Kane got 9 in 35 championship games, 5 in 18 league one games. Let's not write Parrott off just yet.

Mashimbo

Rampant
Patron

That doesn’t show how many chances he missed in League 1 last season so we don’t know the conversion rate, and you get far more time to think against poorer goalkeepers at that level. He only scored 10 in the most attacking team in the league, so he’s not exactly clinical even in a lower league
Fair enough, he's shit then.

pne1881

Patron

pne1881

Patron
I'm certainly not hoodwinked by such gestures but neither do I blame him for the current situation given the striking options at his disposal.

Agree but he has to take some of the blame.

It's his job to get the best out of what we've got.

Libertine

Patron
Yep, not sure how some people aren't comprehending this.
Riis himself says he's been getting chances. Judging by that interview where he says if he's not playing he's off he's not one just to blow smoke up anyone's arse.

Tino

Patron
I'm certainly not hoodwinked by such gestures but neither do I blame him for the current situation given the striking options at his disposal.
But last season when we had Riis and Archer we scored 16 in 18 games (21 in 22 games from January onwards) before the flurry in the last 2 matches.

And from 22nd Jan to 15th April only Riis, Archer and DJ scored.

The managers attacking free flowing brand is all in his head, but he’s said it often enough some people are believing it.

Still we should have signed 2 more players in the summer window.

Tino

Patron
Personally I think Browne and DJ are living off past glories, they’re not consistently good enough for a championship midfield.
DJ was involved in 23% of our goals last season. Hardly distant past glories. He’s just off form at the moment.

I‘d have moved Browne on before his last contract extension. But I think his hip problems meant there were few or no takers. Quite damning for someone with that many appearances at championship level.

Warton PNE

Patron

Exactly this.

In the first clip, it is against Andorra. Andorra, who are placed at the dizzy heights of 152 in the FIFA world rankings.

Pennyhome

Patron
DJ was involved in 23% of our goals last season. Hardly distant past glories. He’s just off form at the moment.

I‘d have moved Browne on before his last contract extension. But I think his hip problems meant there were few or no takers. Quite damning for someone with that many appearances at championship level.
Think your right regards his hip issue

But then why did we offer him such a high paid contract when we extended?

york white

Patron

Parrott had the most blocked shots in L1 last season. And you can see why. He always wants one touch too many and allows defenders and goalies to get blocks in. Archer was a master of taking strikes early (look at the lashers goal) and finishing clinically.

SwissToni

Patron
Please accept Apologies, Toni.

My reasoning is from some Comedy Programme, (hope you can recall this??) and him-at-Deepdale reminds me of that dodgy salesman.

Sorry again, Toni.
No worries mate. I do remember the programme...although I never found it particularly funny. Ridsdale certainly comes across as a spiv to me, so you're not wrong.