Attendances

Peter Bulmer

Forum Patron
Patron
That's brilliant, very interesting. Our crowds are very good for us.keep it up folks, be nice to maybe reach 15000.

prestonfan1231

First Team
You can also tell when Finney retired as well, attendance dropped from 24k to 16k even though we was still in the old division 1

Also strange that our avg attendance in our 2014/15 promotion season was lower than our first 3 seasons in league.

RVW

Manager
You can also tell when Finney retired as well, attendance dropped from 24k to 16k even though we was still in the old division 1

Also strange that our avg attendance in our 2014/15 promotion season was lower than our first 3 seasons in league.
you have lost me on that last point. What exactly do you mean?

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron
Ive posted this several times, glad its here again.

It shows, very clearly, that our attendances have been pretty consistent, through the decades, at this level.

deepdaledreamer

Forum Patron
Patron
Interesting to see that in 1962 attendance had dropped to around 11,600.
Only a couple of Years after his retirement but virtually half the Finney era crowds.
I don't think at that time that there where many away fans (apart from nearby Towns and local Derbies) so really our Home attendances are pretty much the same as 58 years or so, ago.

Roger Mellie

Forum Patron
Patron
Only a couple of Years after his retirement but virtually half the Finney era crowds.
I don't think at that time that there where many away fans (apart from nearby Towns and local Derbies) so really our Home attendances are pretty much the same as 58 years or so, ago.
To be fair, I would say there is a lot more distractions and alternative means of entertainment today than there was in the 50s/60s not to mention the price of admission nowadays in comparison.

We're doing ok, we get big crowds for the big teams when we're doing well, but when we're not then crowds will dwindle, everyone who has an interest in our club should now be showing themselves, because if we got to Wembley in the play off final there would be 30,000 there all of a sudden, we need them before then. I will be at Deepdale tomorrow at a round trip of 425 miles. My Club are worth every penny, because I Love my club. COYW. 👏

deepdaledreamer

Forum Patron
Patron
To be fair, I would say there is a lot more distractions and alternative means of entertainment today than there was in the 50s/60s not to mention the price of admission nowadays in comparison.
Yep, I agree that is a reason for Todays Crowds being similar to the post Finney era, albeit as has been said from an increased population.
What I found interesting was the almost instant halving of Crowds when Finney retired and at that time there wasn't the same distractions or alternatives as now.
Almost certainly the reason for the decline in support is the lack of top flight Football since 60/61?
Anyway, whatever the reason we are just getting ready to set off from Morecambe!!
What would be interesting would be to know how many out of Towners make up the Home attendance

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
I agree that there didn't appear to be as many away supporters back in the 60's. No segregation back then so there would be no breakdown of home/away support. It was in the 70's and 80's that attendances really dipped. Apart from the fact we weren't very good attendances across the game had shrunk I think. Only regularly got back to 5 figure gates at the turn of the century when we got back in Championship for the first time in a couple of decades.

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
Said it before
And I will say it again
The only attendance I am worried about is my own as it’s all I can affect!
Latest one doing the rounds is cheap tickets to get people on as we are in a play off space
Sod them I say, if you aren’t there for the long haul then you pay the same as everyone else for the good bits ?

Wisemen say

Forum Patron
Patron
Yep, I agree that is a reason for Todays Crowds being similar to the post Finney era, albeit as has been said from an increased population.
What I found interesting was the almost instant halving of Crowds when Finney retired and at that time there wasn't the same distractions or alternatives as now.
Almost certainly the reason for the decline in support is the lack of top flight Football since 60/61?
Anyway, whatever the reason we are just getting ready to set off from Morecambe!!
What would be interesting would be to know how many out of Towners make up the Home attendance
Many people went to watch Finney play just as much as support or watch North End, my dad has often told me that North End would not announce the team until as late as possible on match days if Sir Tom was not playing so as not to effect the attendance.
He said fans finding out Sir Tom was not playing walking up Deepdale Road would turn around in droves and not go to the game and when they announced on the ground playing at number seven today is Harry Anders instead of Sir Tom, howels of derision would ring round the ground.