BAE to announce 1000s of job losses

LostinSpace

PNE Exile
Patron
I was gobsmacked watching Sky News earlier, the breaking news banner at the bottom mentioned the 2,000 odd job losses, then said including X from London and Y from (I think) Farnborough, grand total 30 or so, no mention of Wharton!!!!

LostinSpace

PNE Exile
Patron
I'm amazed no ones blamed it on Brexit yet. :)
No, but I honestly expected someone to blame it on the EU! :D

Our government could've helped by equipping our new and very expensive aircraft carrier with British aircraft rather than relying on the Americans. :(

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
No, but I honestly expected someone to blame it on the EU! :D

Our government could've helped by equipping our new and very expensive aircraft carrier with British aircraft rather than relying on the Americans. :(

It's political and a bit of a fuck up agreed................ And when someone tells me how many CR's are involved ( as opposed to VR's ) then I/we might have a basis for a barny.

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron
never mind the blame game for the moment, I know so many really good folk who work there, really feeling for them and their families right now. Not nice, not nice at all.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
So do I..... How many compulsories?
In situations like this, the picture is always very complicated. Equally important are questions about future recruitment of apprentices for example. People leaving on VR who are in the twilight of their careers isn't ideal, but if job losses in any company are matched by a moratorium on recruiting young people, it becomes a double whammy.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
No idea, Libs.
Then there's no issue at present....... They may be oversubscribed with volunteers from around the organisation and others re deployed........... When there's a figure on those forced out of employment then that's the time for sympathy....Sounds a bit harsh but there might not be an issue at all here.

Winkytinky

Forum Patron
Patron
Apparently 750 jobs are to go at warton.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
My neighbour was made redundant in the last round of redundancies at the Salmelsbury/Wharton plants but saved his bacon by agreeing to relocate to Brough in Humberside. Now that plant too are shedding a lot of jobs.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
The consultations have only just begun.... it will be some time before the number of VR's and if necessary CR's are known..
Cheers Ando..... So with a bit of luck it won't be as grim as it appears.... Hope you aren't affected.