PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Barky's Head

And for all we say 'it's a short career'.... it is also, for most, the very best years of your life... halcyon days... like a shooting star. Yes, securing your future is a really important factor... but I'd advise any youngster to seriously take account of the value of playing football every week in front of thousands of people - building life memories... and not spending them in the reserves. Carlo Nash made 243 league appearances... of which only ten were in the last 7 years of his career after he left PNE.

Money is important... but it's too easy to focus MUCH to much on it.
It's a tough decision for sure and not one to take lightly.Maybe that's why he hasn't signed as Chip Barm posted, as opposed to rejected as he's weighing it up.
We'll never know but I hope he stays as he is a big player in the way we play currently.

I just spent 5 mins reading this in the hope that it specifically states that after brexit the agreement will ensure PNE can participate in European tournaments should we qualify.

Barky strikes me as someone who could spend the rest of his career with us unless we get promoted and establish ourselves in the Prem. Will always be at the very least useful at this level without being good enough to attract covetous glances from elsewhere.

He’s refusing to sign a new contract. That’s a worry for me. He’d be difficult to replace on our budget
The days about worrying whether a player signs a contract have gone, at least for me they have. Get used to it, players/agents have all the power now, and no dispute about that.

That is why when we cashed in on a Hugill or a Cunningham, it didn't bother me, as losing players who have their head turned today is inevitable, and better to "cash in" than let them walk for free. (I can't see too many clubs lining up to sign Barky, can you?).

Having said that, for me, Barky wouldn't be as big a loss as Hugill inasmuch as we have other players with as much if not more goal threat, whereas losing Hugill has taken some time to replace, and I am hoping that between them the likes of Stockley/Moult/Maguire can help in that area without being exactly the same type of player.

Re Barky, we have when fit, Robinson, Bodin, Potts and possibly even Ginnelly that may be suitable or even better replacements, not identical players, but more than adequate to replace Barky if he goes. We are not discussing a superstar here, just an average Championship player, or do you think differently?

I’ve no idea what Barkhuizen and the like are on per week, I’d guess somewhere between 5 -8 k, if they have their heads screwed on surely they are going to be pretty financially secure in later life.
If they end up blowing it all, like in some cases, like gambling etc, then that’s their own stupid fault.

Farmboy, too verbose. This would have done it: "Oi ! Barkhuizen, Noo, if you can't even be trusted with money."

That's the gist, right ?

I’ve no idea what Barkhuizen and the like are on per week, I’d guess somewhere between 5 -8 k, if they have their heads screwed on surely they are going to be pretty financially secure in later life.
If they end up blowing it all, like in some cases, like gambling etc, then that’s their own stupid fault.
I'd be surprised if he's on that much.
Like many he came from a low league so won't have been on much previously

Contrary to what some on here have said, I think Barky would definitely do better, or at least be more productive in terms of goals elsewhere.

We all saw how lethal he was in a front 2 under Grayson. I'd argue he's now more important to us than in his first season due to his defensive output and workrate but it all comes down to what he enjoys more - scoring goals or being a very important cog in a team.

Criticism and discussion of a player is fair. I sense that people hold Barkhuizen in high regard for his work rate and the attributes that make him a dangerous player. Correctly deployed, he is a constant threat to the opposition. For me, the flair players should be allowed a certain license to try something and to fail.
Barkhuizen could be best described as an enigma. He has pace, composure and a good snapshot. Yet, he can't beat a full back for love nor money and can't dribble. There is so much talent in one way, and the occasional fluff-melt in ways you wouldn't expect. Perhaps he sets the bar high with the former, and this makes the latter appear so dramatically below standard.
Let's face it, if he had the dribbling of McGeady and the passing range of Gallagher, Barkhuizen would be playing elsewhere. For now, he's a North End player, and he's scoring goals.

Pearson’s decision making is much better.

Pass the buck in the centre circle and let someone else get slagged off for missing the chances.
In a season where really the vast majority of PNE fans have to be pretty content & realise that a crippling injury list has probably taken away our chances of the play offs. There has been a lack of hysterical, knee jerk ridiculous statements witnessed on this forum. THIS however, is one of the most ridiculous ones that I have seen is a long time. Anyone that doesn't know & appreciate Pearsons role in our team seriously needs to give their head a wobble.

On Barky. I like him & after a dip of what seemed like months & wondering whether he justified the amount of starts he had, he has found his mojo again. Decision making is not his strongest attribute & I am of the opinion that that can be improved with coaching. He is , however, a very good athlete who's pace will always worry teams. you can always guarantee a decent shift from him too. I am surprised that he is not signing a new contract & obviously I don't know the detail around the terms being offered. They may be derisory? I am also of the view that from a footballing point of view he is better off here. If he leaves we do have the likes of Bodin, Ginnelly who can take his place

I'm not a great fan of Barky, altough i accept though he's a good squad player for us and he's AN's blue eyed boy. I find it hard to believe though that he'd get a move to a bigger club than us on a decent contract. Refusing a new contract might just be part of the long game to get a better deal here as DJ did and succeeded in. Happy for him to stay, not bothered if he leaves is my take on it all.

I think he has to be one of the most under-rated PNE player since Sedgwick and could easily get a better contract in this division, although from a football point of view moving would be a gamble.

20 goals in 78 starts for PNE and he still gets stick.

He's a big game player, always seems to score in derby games in particular, and a player who the managers obviously fully trusts.

End product and decision making must improve but his movement and pace alone causes huge problems for teams, and he can always be relied upon to put in the hard yards up and down the pitch for the team.

Important player, hope he signs a new deal.

Agree 100%. Barkhuizen is a real asset to us when fit. I believe his goals/games ratio is also very good. I would be genuinely sad to see him leave in the next couple of windows, we'd miss his contribution when he's gone. He would add value to the any of the top 6 squads in this division IMO.

In a season where really the vast majority of PNE fans have to be pretty content & realise that a crippling injury list has probably taken away our chances of the play offs. There has been a lack of hysterical, knee jerk ridiculous statements witnessed on this forum. THIS however, is one of the most ridiculous ones that I have seen is a long time. Anyone that doesn't know & appreciate Pearsons role in our team seriously needs to give their head a wobble.

On Barky. I like him & after a dip of what seemed like months & wondering whether he justified the amount of starts he had, he has found his mojo again. Decision making is not his strongest attribute & I am of the opinion that that can be improved with coaching. He is , however, a very good athlete who's pace will always worry teams. you can always guarantee a decent shift from him too. I am surprised that he is not signing a new contract & obviously I don't know the detail around the terms being offered. They may be derisory? I am also of the view that from a footballing point of view he is better off here. If he leaves we do have the likes of Bodin, Ginnelly who can take his place

Good post.

Agree with your comments about both Pearson and Barky.

He’s refusing to sign a new contract. That’s a worry for me. He’d be difficult to replace on our budget

From what I've been told it isn't exactly that he's outright refusing. An agreement was in place and the goalposts were moved. From what I know, he is enjoying his time with us.

I would imagine and hope, in time he'll sign.

You don't know what you've got till it's gone. He is more valuable than many realise and he is improving under the influence of our excellent coaching staff.

His decision making wasn't too shabby at Bolton either.

I'm not a great fan of Barky, altough i accept though he's a good squad player for us and he's AN's blue eyed boy. I find it hard to believe though that he'd get a move to a bigger club than us on a decent contract. Refusing a new contract might just be part of the long game to get a better deal here as DJ did and succeeded in. Happy for him to stay, not bothered if he leaves is my take on it all.

Yes indeed. The term "refusing" is probably wrong here. Its all a negotiation, eventually if both parties want it enough then a solution will be found.