PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Barky's Head

Think that was Barkhuizen's first assist of the season, but he was top of another list going into the weekend - most chances created without an actual assist.

So perhaps his decision making is actually ok, he just needs the player he passes to to finish the chance...

I'm not a great fan of Barky, altough i accept though he's a good squad player for us and he's AN's blue eyed boy. I find it hard to believe though that he'd get a move to a bigger club than us on a decent contract. Refusing a new contract might just be part of the long game to get a better deal here as DJ did and succeeded in. Happy for him to stay, not bothered if he leaves is my take on it all.

Comments like this annoy me. He plays a lot of the time because he probably runs more miles then anyone in the team and actually does more for the team than Barker which is why he never players. He didn't play well at the start of the season but he seems to have overcome that now. He started about 44 games in a team that finished 7th last season and the majority this. He's not 'AN's blue eyed boy.' He's just a very good player who deserves to play.

Comments like this annoy me. He plays a lot of the time because he probably runs more miles then anyone in the team and actually does more for the team than Barker which is why he never players. He didn't play well at the start of the season but he seems to have overcome that now. He started about 44 games in a team that finished 7th last season and the majority this. He's not 'AN's blue eyed boy.' He's just a very good player who deserves to play.

You say yourself he didn't play well at the start of the season but he's still played the majority of games. So whether he was adding to the team or not, he still played. Everybody's entitled to their own views on a player whether you like it or not. However at the end of the day, it's AN's view that counts and he prefer's Barky in the team than out of it.

You can tell things are going well again because good players start to get slated!
I think people are offering opinions on the situation. It's a football forum which is what they are supposed to do! Without trawling back through the posts, i'm not sure he's getting slated, but he certainly divideds opinion. Nowt wrong with that.

I like him. I think it's strange that he won't sign a new deal, as our level is his ceiling imo, but I guess that'll be upon advice from his agent.

Confidence player for sure. He probably reads this forum.

Wrong move, Tom.

You say yourself he didn't play well at the start of the season but he's still played the majority of games. So whether he was adding to the team or not, he still played. Everybody's entitled to their own views on a player whether you like it or not. However at the end of the day, it's AN's view that counts and he prefer's Barky in the team than out of it.

In fairness we were lacking in options for the first half of the season. Barker didn’t really do much. As soon as we had options he sat out for a few games and got a much needed break. His pace, work ethic and energy are key to what Neil wants to do.

He may not have contributed enough towards the start of the season offensively, but defensively he’ll always add to the team. With the likes of Burke and Barker, players will just get a free run at our full backs. Frankly they weren’t good enough offensively when they played either. Barky can frustrate with his first touch and decision making but his speed and movements in behind defences cause major problems for other teams.

The best finishers don't think. It is instinctive.

Barky is an overthinker. Almost as if he is trying too hard!

In each split second decision, you can imagine weighing up the consequences of every permutation - and being overwhelmed in the moment.

It's all here ... https://www.sports-psychology.com/how-to-stop-overthinking-in-competition/

Jedi warriors will be familiar: Feel the force young Tom!

PS Many of his shots miss the target completely. It's logical to try and hit the biggest space in the goal. But Tom's go wide. Wonder if he'd have more joy going close to the keepers feet when one on one. You see many strikers finish this way.

In each split second decision, you can imagine weighing up the consequences of every permutation - and being overwhelmed in the moment.

It's all here ... https://www.sports-psychology.com/how-to-stop-overthinking-in-competition/

PS Many of his shots miss the target completely. It's logical to try and hit the biggest space in the goal. But Tom's go wide. Wonder if he'd have more joy going close to the keepers feet when one on one. You see many strikers finish this way.

Yep totally agree instinctive is ideal but needs to be coupled with ability. Check out 'Mo Salah shoots through tyre' by entering into google browser

Let's be honest, if his decision making was better he'd be playing in the Prem. He's rapid, brilliant work rate etc. I've given him a lot of stick, probably unfairly in hindsight, but we're lucky to have him and I'd much rather have him in our side than for the opposition.

Well, I didn’t know that. Quite surprised to be fair. Unless they are taking the piss and offering him peanuts.

By the way, why does he always have his hand in a bandage? Must have been like that for near on 12 months now
I asked him on Twitter about the bandage and he replied that it protects a bone he broke in his wrist. Guessing it is more used to stop it breaking again rather than it still being broken. If it's still broken he must be either a slow healer or keep breaking it.

"over thinking" can impact performance on a number of ways such as reinvestment. You could also look at ironic processing as a factor. "I must not miss, must not miss"... "ah, I missed".

Not much wrong with his head tonight.
Noticed him limping off the pitch at the end though.........hope it's not the curse of the hamstring.
Put in a shift now needs to get contract signed.

As US President Johnson said " better to have him inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in"

Still frustrating sometimes but he was very good again tonight, especially first half.

He just occasionally looks like he has no idea what to do after he beats his man.