PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Ben Davies

Meldrew's Ghost

Patron
AN has just said that Ben was rested on Tuesday because of a hamstring niggle. Another potential hamstring injury to go with Maguire and Robinson (and was Small forest' latest injury also a hamstring?). Add to these the quad injuries to Johnson, Pearson and Browne's quad niggle in the Rovers game. I seriously hope someone is taking a long hard look at our fitness and training regime.

Meldrew's Ghost;n3406578 said:
AN has just said that Ben was rested on Tuesday because of a hamstring niggle. Another potential hamstring injury to go with Maguire and Robinson (and was Small forest' latest injury also a hamstring?). Add to these the quad injuries to Johnson, Pearson and Browne's quad niggle in the Rovers game. I seriously hope someone is taking a long hard look at our fitness and training regime.

I am beginning to have concerns with our medical staff Arsenal got rid of all there medical team because of all the injuries they had for 2 or 3 seasons.
All clubs get injuries but the last 2 season they have been horrendous it can't be all bad luck ?

Not saying they dont know what they are doing.But when Ben Pearson reqd attention on Sat in front of the STF,The pysio came on and started treating the wrong leg much to our amusement and Pearsons anger

Agree , this is becoming a joke , it might not just be the medical staffs fault , training methods , coaching , we are doing somthing , or not doing somthing badly wrong

mapping;n3406618 said:
Agree , this is becoming a joke , it might not just be the medical staffs fault , training methods , coaching , we are doing somthing , or not doing somthing badly wrong

I dunno, I'd be worried about making that conclusion without knowing whether this higher than would be expected or what other clubs get. Its easy to get into confirmation bias territory - looking for evidence to support a theory rather than the other way round.

I've argued on here that it foolish to assume that injuries can only happen by chance as some are doing but that doesn't necessarily mean that the medical staff are incapable.

walmer worried;n3406592 said:
Not saying they dont know what they are doing.But when Ben Pearson reqd attention on Sat in front of the STF,The pysio came on and started treating the wrong leg much to our amusement and Pearsons anger

Saw that - funny as fuck .

then the phsyio edged his bets by attending to both legs at the same time.

* note for handbook - 1st question - where’s the injury ? *

simo;n3406620 said:
I dunno, I'd be worried about making that conclusion without knowing whether this higher than would be expected or what other clubs get. Its easy to get into confirmation bias territory - looking for evidence to support a theory rather than the other way round.

I've argued on here that it foolish to assume that injuries can only happen by chance as some are doing but that doesn't necessarily mean that the medical staff are incapable.

Looking at historical data from the last few years would give evidence to support a theory

mapping;n3406618 said:

I wonder if our style of play, the high pressing game, has something to do with it. I’m no medical expert but that could explain why our front 4 are more susceptible to injury.

Other than that I’m just stuck at blaming the curse. I was talking to a Burnley fan about the first time they went jo to the premier league. They had a relatively small squad but went the entire season without any long term injuries or suspensions to key players. That’s the sort of luck a club like ours needs to go up, but every time we get a sniff we always seem to lose key players.

Over the years we have had different players, managers, coaching staff, medical staff, training methods, styles of play, etc. The only constant is the pitch and training ground and I have even scratched my head about the pitch somehow being different due to the old plastic pitch underlay.

Can the people who are trying to blame the injury list on our training methods please remember that these are the training methods that had us finish 7th last season and currently have us on a 9 game unbeaten run.

I posted previously about stretching all muscles prior to training and matches. Much depends on the type of stretched used. I used CRAC which stands for contraction relaxation antagonistic contraction. Two people are needed. The one being stretched and the stretcher. The one being

I notice this morning that Sanchez at manure is out for a few months with a hamstring injury picked up on the training pitch, it just shows that however the quality of your medical team is these things still happen.

I always thought that Matt Jackson and Tom Little at PNE were well thought of in their field of expertise?

simo;n3406686 said:
Has anyone done that then?

I would bring someone in from the outside with fresh eyes to see if we are missing something, sometimes when your that close in its hard to see the wood for the trees.

I understand what your saying paddy but seriously, it may have nothing to do with the football training individually, it could be a certain drill followed by a certain exercise, for example, if we did a shooting drill followed by some plyometric exercise that is overstressing the hamstring ...... you can make that list as long as you like........

agree re the flexibility comment , there are quite a few techniques used , are we doing them all , are we overstretching ? Its a minefield, get some fresh eyes to take a look.

sanchez and man u , looks like an isolated incident, we have had two seasons of it ,

We have a team whose work ethic is second to none. They push their bodies to the absolute limit in virtually every game, I suspect that work ethic is built from the training ground. If you push your body to the limit eventually something has to give. Thats all it is, nothing wrong with our meds team/training methods, its about the players working so damned hard that eventually injuries happen.

Look at Callum for example, hes been chasing absolutely everything recently.

mapping;n3406625 said:
Looking at historical data from the last few years would give evidence to support a theory

Only if you looked at that data set against other clubs, and even then you should really consider squad size, age and other variables. Otherwise, as Simo says you're verging into confirmation bias.

"Methods: Fifty-one football teams, comprising 2,299 players, were followed prospectively
during the years 2001 to 2009. Team medical staffs recorded individual player exposure and
time-loss injuries. The first-team squads of 24 clubs selected by UEFA as belonging to the
best European teams, 15 teams of the Swedish First League and another 15 European teams
playing their home matches on artificial turf pitches were included. A muscle injury was
defined as “a traumatic distraction or overuse injury to the muscle leading to a player being
unable to fully participate in training or match play”.
Results: In total, 2,908 muscle injuries were registered. On average, a player sustained 0.6
muscle injuries per season. A squad of 25 players can thus expect about 15 muscle injuries
per season. Muscle injuries constituted 31% of all injuries and caused 27% of the total injury
absence. Ninety-two per cent of all muscle injuries affected the four major muscle groups of
the lower limbs: hamstrings (37%), adductors (23%), quadriceps (19%) and calf muscles
(13%)"

Found this outline of a study of muscle injuries in football on Google. Seems like we might get a similar number to what you'd expect, but have the misfortune of them seeming to affect players who play in the same position at the same time leaving us short. Also although our squad is 25(ish?) we'd consider ourselves down to bare bones if Small forest, Burke or Crowe were selected, other richer Championship teams have huge squads with internationals and players with PL experience on the bench so may miss players less (or seem to to those looking from the outside)

Delaney;n3406853 said:
"Methods: Fifty-one football teams, comprising 2,299 players, were followed prospectively
during the years 2001 to 2009. Team medical staffs recorded individual player exposure and
time-loss injuries. The first-team squads of 24 clubs selected by UEFA as belonging to the
best European teams, 15 teams of the Swedish First League and another 15 European teams
playing their home matches on artificial turf pitches were included. A muscle injury was
defined as “a traumatic distraction or overuse injury to the muscle leading to a player being
unable to fully participate in training or match play”.
Results: In total, 2,908 muscle injuries were registered. On average, a player sustained 0.6
muscle injuries per season. A squad of 25 players can thus expect about 15 muscle injuries
per season. Muscle injuries constituted 31% of all injuries and caused 27% of the total injury
absence. Ninety-two per cent of all muscle injuries affected the four major muscle groups of
the lower limbs: hamstrings (37%), adductors (23%), quadriceps (19%) and calf muscles
(13%)"

Found this outline of a study of muscle injuries in football on Google. Seems like we might get a similar number to what you'd expect, but have the misfortune of them seeming to affect players who play in the same position at the same time leaving us short. Also although our squad is 25(ish?) we'd consider ourselves down to bare bones if Small forest, Burke or Crowe were selected, other richer Championship teams have huge squads with internationals and players with PL experience on the bench so may miss players less (or seem to to those looking from the outside)

Good post . The worrying part is its the same muscle being injured

I seem to remember a few years ago that quite a few players used to play with some sort of tape down the front and back of their thighs. Was this to prevent/protect hamstring injuries? I haven't seen them used recently so maybe it wasn't very effective or else techniques have now moved on.

It's also worth considering how many of our 1st team squad are playing (and training) with minor injuries because they're determined to work their way up the league. From what we've , no one can question their commitment, but a minor injury can lead to them stressing other muscles as they compensate.
The hamstring is a big muscle and constantly stressed. A relatively minor imbalance can over strain it leading to injury. They may hold back a little in training due to their other minor injuries, but put in full effort in the matches, leading to the hamstring injuries.
​​​​​​