PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Birds that visit your garden

Never seen a nuthatch.

Convinced I saw a golden eagle savaging something in a field in a hilly region of France a while back.
I hadn't seen one until this one now comes every day, it looks like a dirty chaffinch which is a little on the tubby side, he's timid tho' and doesn't stay very long, but quick enough to grab a few seeds then he's off. We also get some long beaked tits....just thinking I wish Nobber was on here today, he'd have a field day with all these long beaks and tits. Your sighting of a golden eagle may have been a red kite which is pretty big with coloured feathers and soars down on small vermin like mice etc.

This is a Lorikeet that was on our balcony when I lived in McMahons Point.
5bNZ8SW.jpg

This was the balcony view.
Lr4Ng7m.jpg

This is a Cockatoo on the balcony of an apartment we stayed at in Manly.
FnHiL4F.jpg

When I was over at our place in Spain last week, there were loads of hoopoes and azure winged magpies in the gardens. Both are stunning birds. About 15 minutes drive away there's a massive protected area called the Odiel Marshes (Marismas del Odiel) where there's one of the largest breeding areas in Europe for spoonbills. Also there are loads of grebes, flamingoes, redshanks and stone curlews. It really is quite the sight. Around the area there are loads of storks too.

When I was over at our place in Spain last week, there were loads of hoopoes and azure winged magpies in the gardens. Both are stunning birds. About 15 minutes drive away there's a massive protected area called the Odiel Marshes (Marismas del Odiel) where there's one of the largest breeding areas in Europe for spoonbills. Also there are loads of grebes, flamingoes, redshanks and stone curlews. It really is quite the sight. Around the area there are loads of storks too.
Have heard hoopoes here but never managed to see one. A few weeks ago, I saw a group of about 30 ravens (my favourite bird) circling overhead, something I have never seen before. This is a fantastic area for birdwatching - we have all sorts of birds resident here and the valley is a major migration route.

Not quite my garden but we took a ferry over to Rathlin Island the other day, taking advantage of a rare bit of decent weather.

About 160 people live on it these days and it’s where Robert the Bruce hung out for a bit in a cave.

There’s an RSPB site there where I was pleased to be able to see my first puffins.

Or possibly the same puffin several times!

We are fortunate enough to live on a migratory route as well and depending on seasons have a huge variety of visiting birds. Quite a few have been confident enough to feed by hand.
We get eagles and buzzards soaring over the house most days, Jays, Hoopoes, ravens and magpies....We have two pairs of collored doves that have visited for years, either the same two or continuous family as they nest in the garden. All kinds of garden tits and serrins and siskins, robins and much more. We feed them all winter, though less in the summer. They are a delight to watch.