PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Black life in America

No I’m Mer5eywhiticus

“No one is inherently racist” is a great hypothesis for a PhD or something! There are certain tensions for the driving forces behind man’s evolution.
One is that social cooperation, based on fairness and sharing brings evolutionary advantage. But another is being tribal and being protective of our tribe’s land and resources also brings evolutionary advantage. This brings conflict and fear of difference

On that basis, at one level, I think there is some innate, inherent “racism” within us all. And my suspicion is that our frontal cortex uses intelligent logic to suppress and overcome a more instinctive “tribal” feeling from our old core brain.
Right, that’s another thesis under my belt. I think I’ll solve nuclear fusion next.
Excellent work, sir.

No I’m Mer5eywhiticus

“No one is inherently racist” is a great hypothesis for a PhD or something! There are certain tensions for the driving forces behind man’s evolution.
One is that social cooperation, based on fairness and sharing brings evolutionary advantage. But another is being tribal and being protective of our tribe’s land and resources also brings evolutionary advantage. This brings conflict and fear of difference

On that basis, at one level, I think there is some innate, inherent “racism” within us all. And my suspicion is that our frontal cortex uses intelligent logic to suppress and overcome a more instinctive “tribal” feeling from our old core brain.
Right, that’s another thesis under my belt. I think I’ll solve nuclear fusion next.
i agree with all of that. But it’s not a purely white issue. All humans No matter what race have that instinct. But in my opinion and experience basic human decency is more obvious and is shown throughout the world.
There are obviously outliers.

“I think our society has become so obsessed with group identity we’re pushing it in a counterproductive direction”

No reason for posting this other than it is an interesting development...

So in 2 days, Jenrick has announced that he will sell off public buildings to developers to make huge profits by building over priced homes and now that the priority for protection is not people but Statues!

Yayyyyy

Tory britain everyone.

No reason for posting this other than it is an interesting development...

I read about this yesterday and my first thought was "priorities" is this really one right now, I'd rather the government concentrate on protecting lives rather than statues atm.

I read about this yesterday and my first thought was "priorities" is this really one right now, I'd rather the government concentrate on protecting lives rather than statues atm.
I agree completely although, I think the initial act (re Colston) might just end up being the precipitant of worthwhile change. If meaningful debate can be held and statues etc can become educational rather than permanently destroyed/removed etc. then I think that’s a good end result.

The alternative, where anybody gets to remove anything they find offensive is just as bad if not worse than the current state of events.

David Schneider is wrong. The govt has tried to protect all of those things, with varying degrees of success and proficiency.

I won’t vote Tory but Johnson and his ilk have afforded some protection. It is only their incompetence which I would take issue with.

David Schneider is wrong. The govt has tried to protect all of those things, with varying degrees of success and proficiency.

I won’t vote Tory but Johnson and his ilk have afforded some protection. It is only their incompetence which I would take issue with.
interesting discussion about DJ on the big 4 thread, right now.

He was armed with a knife when he was shot.
From the horse’s mouth.
Does this make you feel better about someone having 7 bullets fired into the back of them? It doesn't for me.

How would our police have coped with the same situation? .. Hmmm they'd have continued to stun the fuck out of him (I imagine) until he dropped it.

I'm really not sure this is the vindication for your point of view that you think it is.

It's a miracle that the guy is even alive to make such an admission after suffering 7 unnecessary bullet wounds.

If you want my honest opinion (you might not) they (the police) would have delt with it differently had it been a white guy 🤷‍♀️

Racism is alive and well and pretending it's not does nobody any favours here or in America.

Last edited:
Does this make you feel better about someone having 7 bullets fired into the back of them? It doesn't for me.

How would our police have coped with the same situation? .. Hmmm they'd have continued to stun the fuck out of him (I imagine) until he dropped it.

I'm really not sure this is the vindication for your point of view that you think it is.

It's a miracle that the guy is even alive to make such an admission after suffering 7 unnecessary bullet wounds.

If you want my honest opinion (you might not) they (the police) would have delt with it differently had it been a white guy 🤷‍♀️

Racism is alive and well and pretending it's not does nobody any favours here or in America.

Five points:

1) UK police don't carry guns so unfair to compare. Stun guns don't kill.

2) There is no relatable example which you can use to compare the US and UK so it is unfair to do so

3) The guy did resist/refuse arrest and had a weapon.

4) The above doesn't warrant 7 bullet wounds. Sadly the US are trigger happy.

5) Racism does indeed exist. Personally I believe the way in which we are trying to eradicate it currently is wrong. Nothing is being done to deal with individual racists, especially online. It is all blanket coverage suggesting things like white privilege and practicing critical race theory as the way to go. It isn't, and will just alienate people.

Five points:

1) UK police don't carry guns so unfair to compare. Stun guns don't kill.

2) There is no relatable example which you can use to compare the US and UK so it is unfair to do so

3) The guy did resist/refuse arrest and had a weapon.

4) The above doesn't warrant 7 bullet wounds. Sadly the US are trigger happy.

5) Racism does indeed exist. Personally I believe the way in which we are trying to eradicate it currently is wrong. Nothing is being done to deal with individual racists, especially online. It is all blanket coverage suggesting things like white privilege and practicing critical race theory as the way to go. It isn't, and will just alienate people.
#4 was my main point, my reaction to snickys post is because it sometimes feels like he revels in victim blaming and he's in denial that racism actually exists, he tries to excuse away very blatant examples.

There is definately a conversation to be had about how we move forward in dealing with racism, acceptance is key though, when people deny racism exists or try and flip it so that they are "the victims" there really is no starting point.