PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Black life in America

I think it's completely the opposite, since the 70's it's actually going back to being more even

Given that women were only capable of divorcing their spouses from the early part of the 20th century, and that the divorce rate trebled throughout the 70s, I don't think this is the case at all.

Given that women were only capable of divorcing their spouses from the early part of the 20th century, and that the divorce rate trebled throughout the 70s, I don't think this is the case at all.

I think I was more meaning the "Increasingly" statement, whereas they had been the more common petitioner since the middle of last century but that it was actually decreasing in numbers

This 1858 - 2020 according to the ONS (opposite sex couples only) by petitioner
View attachment 9340

Genuinely, that graph has shocked me somewhat. I knew that the divorce rate went through the roof after the 1969 legislation, but didn't realise it had reached a peak around that period.

I'd been reading the other day that whilst divorce rates had been steadily declining since 2000, the gap between females and males initiating divorce had widened since 2010, which can be seen somewhat on the graph, but is nowhere near as dramatic as was made out when put in comparison to the second half of the 20th century.

Genuinely, that graph has shocked me somewhat. I knew that the divorce rate went through the roof after the 1969 legislation, but didn't realise it had reached a peak around that period.

I'd been reading the other day that whilst divorce rates had been steadily declining since 2000, the gap between females and males initiating divorce had widened since 2010, which can be seen somewhat on the graph, but is nowhere near as dramatic as was made out when put in comparison to the second half of the 20th century.

It will be interesting as the last couple of years of covid and then the introduction of the no-fault divorce will probably take a couple of years to balance out and see what impacts that also has on the stats. I was surprised like you about how much it had changed over the years also

It will be interesting as the last couple of years of covid and then the introduction of the no-fault divorce will probably take a couple of years to balance out and see what impacts that also has on the stats. I was surprised like you about how much it had changed over the years also

I must admit I find it particularly amusing that the male divorce rate has stayed practically constant since the introduction of more liberal divorcing reasons.

Yup - the Irish could tell you a lot about putting single mothers into religious institutions!

About the same time she spoke out in support of her friend, Augusto 'Throw People from a Plane' Pinochet when he was arrested. She really was a scumbag.

Thanks for the link Sepp although it reminded of that evil bitch and the secret infant graves that were found on the premises of some of the " daughters of god "......... Truly horrendous.. :(

This 1858 - 2020 according to the ONS (opposite sex couples only) by petitioner
View attachment 9340

Just a random tale but associated .....

Not all of course but I don't think people try hard enough to make things work.. 35 years ago me and the wife almost got to the court steps.The wife was adamant to end it but we had a one year old daughter and I decided to go for custody. The solicitor pretty much laughed and said I had a 95% chance of losing unless she was an unfit mother which she certainly wasn't. I figured that if I tried and lost then at least in years to come I could tell my daughter that I tried my best

I went for it ( my mum and dad said they'd pay the solicitor because I couldn't ) The solicitor couldn't believe it. Right she said, and then rang the wifes solicitor ( not the done thing ) while I sat there and she told him in no uncertain terms that we were going for custody regardless of the likelihood of failure.... Within days me and the wife were sat down talking and trying to reconcile........

No idea if she bottled it, I got lucky, she really didn't want to split or any other reason,( I don't care to be honest ).... Not always plain sailing of course but nearly 40 years later we are still together......... Unless two parents are knocking the shit out of each other or not " playing away" then I'd always recommend trying harder because take it from me that the older you get the more chilled you get and tend to laugh at what you used to fall out over.

And the Brucy bonus above all is that your child has a balanced and decent upbringing with the two parents that both wanted that in the first place before they fell out.

Apologies for the lecture :)

PS..... Not aimed at you Jake just the graph that you posted and anyone who might be going through a break up and can be arsed reading my outpourings :D

I
Are the numbers of couples getting married in the first Interest 'holding up' though?
I 've no figures, but it seems more & more couples aren't actually getting around to Tying the Knot . Even Long-term Relationships aren't being 'sealed' ever.
So the figures showing divorce rates would start from a lower base number.
It's much harder to quantify Couples breakups if they weren't wedded in the 1st instance.

Just a random tale but associated .....

Not all of course but I don't think people try hard enough to make things work.. 35 years ago me and the wife almost got to the court steps.The wife was adamant to end it but we had a one year old daughter and I decided to go for custody. The solicitor pretty much laughed and said I had a 95% chance of losing unless she was an unfit mother which she certainly wasn't. I figured that if I tried and lost then at least in years to come I could tell my daughter that I tried my best

I went for it ( my mum and dad said they'd pay the solicitor because I couldn't ) The solicitor couldn't believe it. Right she said, and then rang the wifes solicitor ( not the done thing ) while I sat there and she told him in no uncertain terms that we were going for custody regardless of the likelihood of failure.... Within days me and the wife were sat down talking and trying to reconcile........

No idea if she bottled it, I got lucky, she really didn't want to split or any other reason,( I don't care to be honest ).... Not always plain sailing of course but nearly 40 years later we are still together......... Unless two parents are knocking the shit out of each other or not " playing away" then I'd always recommend trying harder because take it from me that the older you get the more chilled you get and tend to laugh at what you used to fall out over.

And the Brucy bonus above all is that your child has a balanced and decent upbringing with the two parents that both wanted that in the first place before they fell out.

Apologies for the lecture :)

PS..... Not aimed at you Jake just the graph that you posted and anyone who might be going through a break up and can be arsed reading my outpourings :D

Just looking at the statistics file I used earlier to produce the chart, anecdotally from another table it shows that if you make it to between 35-40 years married then you're likely to last till the end, only in one year of data did enough people choose to split up that it tipped over them the edge after 56 years of marriage

At the other end it's noticeable that in the 60s and 70s around 8-12 years was where most people seem to give up, whereas in the 80s and 90s this had come into between 2 and 6 years, whereas now it's drifting out again, maybe as others note that less are choosing to get married and potentially later in life after getting their relationship errors out of the way

Just looking at the statistics file I used earlier to produce the chart, anecdotally from another table it shows that if you make it to between 35-40 years married then you're likely to last till the end, only in one year of data did enough people choose to split up that it tipped over them the edge after 56 years of marriage

At the other end it's noticeable that in the 60s and 70s around 8-12 years was where most people seem to give up, whereas in the 80s and 90s this had come into between 2 and 6 years, whereas now it's drifting out again, maybe as others note that less are choosing to get married and potentially later in life after getting their relationship errors out of the way

I bloody hope so but in our case not too early " an end "I hope but not too late either as neither of us want to be a burden or lose our marbles :)

I've no idea how those numbers are correlated or why the decades come up with different figures so I have to assume that all theories are valid and reasons very varied and therefore pretty random results...

The over 56 years might make some sense to me..Sadly at that point many may be regressing and not firing on all cylinders with regard to thinking/reason..You're hardly likely to run off and make a new life with someone else at 75 are you although you might wish to be on your own due to a partner that is driving you nuts.

If currently things are " drifting out again " then I'd suggest that no bugger can afford to split up.. It certainly will be the case very soon...

My theory earlier was based purely on sticking together for your children and (imho) that its your joint responsibility to bring up properly until they leave home.......By which time you've chilled ( and are worn) out that much you can't be arsed arguing anymore.. :D