Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
whoa hang on, what was it Johnson said?

the reality:

Is there a genuinely unbiased view on this Frosty report? It always seemed apparent that the pie was the wrong metaphor- and that Johnson’s position was always selling an impossible bullshit dream of us being able to have our cake and eat it. As discussed yesterday, I think people knew it was impossible - especially signed-sealed-delivered by end of 2020 as BJ promised LOL. But they complicitly nodded along on a slogan.

Very easy for Frost to say that the EU is asking for something unprecedented - hardly surprising when negotiating an unprecedented withdrawal from such a union. .

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
I don’t think he thinks it’s personal. He thinks it’s unreasonable to offer Canada one deal, and not offer the same to the UK. And he thinks thhat an American “writer” (who may or may not be a world class economist) is well qualified to adjudicate on the EU because he has no axe to grind. A pretty grand assumption! Another grand assumption could instead that the American lives several thousand miles away and not in a good position to grasp what the hell’s going on!
Not sure I agree - some of the best critiques of the EU I have seen have been from non-Europeans. For example, US economists have pointed out on many occasions the folly of the Euro and austerity. A view from the outside offering a broader perspective, I guess.

It's not difficult to research and read nowadays - I write a lot about US topics and have had no complaints about my grasp of what is going on!

Last edited:

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Not sure I agree - some of the best critiques of the EU I have seen have been from non-Europeans. For example, US economists have pointed out on many occasions the folly of the Euro and austerity. A view from the outside offering a broader perspective, I guess.

It's not difficult to research and read nowadays - I write a lot about US topics and have had no complaints!
I absolutely did not say the American couldn’t have a good view. He might be a world expert. Or not.
Just pointing out that Sliper relying on an unnamed “writer” to lend gravity to his post - and implying that his non-Europeanness puts his view on a pedestal - is weak. Typically weak!

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
I absolutely did not say the American couldn’t have a good view. He might be a world expert. Or not.
Just pointing out that Sliper relying on an unnamed “writer” to lend gravity to his post - and implying that his non-Europeanness puts his view on a pedestal - is weak. Typically weak!
It was use of 'writer' in inverted commas that I didn't really understand - not sure why you did that. If they wrote an article, they are a writer, are they not?

There is a lot to be said for views detached from the immediate situation - it can give additional clarity and insight by removing the bias of immersion in an issue. Do you think that the EU not allowing the UK to benefit from leaving was fair or not? That, surely, is the crux of Sliper's point - offered as an opinion.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
It was use of 'writer' in inverted commas that I didn't really understand - not sure why you did that. If they wrote an article, they are a writer, are they not?

There is a lot to be said for views detached from the immediate situation - it can give additional clarity and insight by removing the bias of immersion in an issue. Do you think that the EU not allowing the UK to benefit from leaving was fair or not? That, surely, is the crux of Sliper's point - offered as an opinion.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. Ando scored a hattrick @ Deepdale (though he keeps very quiet about it) but that doesnt make him a footballer ;)

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
I'm not sure that's entirely true. Ando scored a hattrick @ Deepdale (though he keeps very quiet about it) but that doesnt make him a footballer ;)
Knew many people writing articles on content sites and blogs over the years - some of questionable quality and ability.

We still called them writers - not necessarily good writers, but writers all the same.

OP
raefil

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Knew many people writing articles on content sites and blogs over the years - some of questionable quality and ability.

We still called them writers - not necessarily good writers, but writers all the same.
Im always writing on here, ive finally made it righter :)

whoa, hang on. something not quite correct about that :(

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
Im always writing on here, ive finally made it righter :)

whoa, hang on. something not quite correct about that :(
Strangely enough, I see a lot of gigs on the freelance site I work on asking for people to write posts on forums (usually spamming some product or political opinion). They are still classed as writing jobs.

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron
Strangely enough, I see a lot of gigs on the freelance site I work on asking for people to write posts on forums (usually spamming some product or political opinion). They are still classed as writing jobs.
How much do they pay?

Asking for a friend.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron

Everyone's a writer these days. Sadly, a huge number of them are fucking hopeless.

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
Everyone's a writer these days. Sadly, a huge number of them are fucking hopeless.
True, but not unusual - I used to play football for a local village team. That means I was a footballer - amateur, not professional, but a footballer all the same.

And I was mediocre, if I am being generous to myself :D

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
True, but not unusual - I used to play football for a local village team. That means I was a footballer - amateur, not professional, but a footballer all the same.

The footballing equivalent of the semi literate scribblers? ;)

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron

You seem to become a different animal whenever on this topic. That makes little sense.

kingpne

Forum Patron
Patron

I played the game to a very high level, but am not a footballer.

So you’re just as much as a footballer as I am and was - don’t be putting yourself down! :)