PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

Bardas

Putin – khuylo
Patron
I don`t like to even think about the bollocks spewed by Brexiters anymore. The brain-dead parotting of vacuous phrases such as Project Fear, used to belittle anyone disagreeing with their self-delusion and ardent bias confirmation.

Yeah, still pissed off at the feckin` eejits.

Portishead

Patron
I don`t like to even think about the bollocks spewed by Brexiters anymore. The brain-dead parotting of vacuous phrases such as Project Fear, used to belittle anyone disagreeing with their self-delusion and ardent bias confirmation.

Yeah, still pissed off at the feckin` eejits.

The primary symbol of the stupidity is that JRM is now seemingly a permanent fixture in the Cabinet whoever is PM. And he only works after dark.

europne

Patron
Just wondering where all the export benefits are ?

Has anyone seen any?

In my world most European sales have dried up and no fucker is helping me to export to far flung places.....

Anyone got any good news?

Any positives to report....

Oh , and sending stuff to Northern Ireland is a lot more complicated too.

europne

Patron
Let's say I am a little mistrustful of the EU after the past decade - our personal share of the bailout debt is over 100,000 Euros that is shifted upwards!

I'm not necessarily against a windfall tax, btw, but people are overstating how effective they will be - firstly, while countries are proclaiming them because it soothes angry voters, courts in various countries are already striking them down. Secondly, such initiatives in the past always fall far short of the headline figures - I suspect that they won't get anywhere near the 140 billion Euros claimed. There are plenty of loopholes and exceptions, and many of the profits these companies produce have already been hedged against future prices and are not taxable. Energy markets are unbelievably complex (deliberately so, IMO).

Even if you take the optimistic figure, they still fall woefully short of what is needed and the shortfall still falls upon the national debt and taxpayers (Germany is talking about them providing maximum 9 billion out of a total 60 billion cost). We are also not sure how this will feed through into future prices yet - if they rise, then we have merely delayed, not solved the problem. They are also short term measures that give governments an excuse to avoid making the tough decisions about reforming markets, cutting demand, and investing in energy that are needed. In other words, kicking the can down the road like we did after the financial crisis.

As a provocative question, why don't we impose a windfall tax on Covid vaccine manufacturers? :D

And the firms that make the syringes and little glass bottles, and testing kits....

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron

Has anyone seen any?

In my world most European sales have dried up and no fucker is helping me to export to far flung places.....

I used to work for a company selling services and the bit I worked in sold to the EU, that’s now closed completely making 4 people redundant, one is still a good mate and still out of work.

Regardless

-
Patron

Has anyone seen any?

The argument seems to be pretty much "Ah... but the EU" - ignoring all UK's failures. Vindictive rather than pragmatic.

Absolute shitshow. The absolute wrong solution to the difficulties we were facing.

Portishead

Patron
The argument seems to be pretty much "Ah... but the EU" - ignoring all UK's failures. Vindictive rather than pragmatic.

Absolute shitshow. The absolute wrong solution to the difficulties we were facing.

Most notably our joke of a democracy. The one about 'ah well, at least we can vote out our govts'. The one that got in for 5 years with a vote of 30% of the electorate and then has power to do anything it wants irrespective of its manifesto but is doing absolutely nothing because it cant agree on anything.

But thank God we're not in the EU. Better no legislation or regulation than have 'theirs'.