PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

Might look into that if I get a chance - time is scarce at the moment! I like his agriculture/ecology stuff because he does have a good background knowledge of the subject.

I am very sceptical of modern environmentalism - it is too riddled with soundbites, oversimplistic solutions to immensely complex problems, and is tainted by the corporate dollar, PR, and lobbying. Too many of the politicians, journalists, and activists making a noise about it don't ask the important questions and don't always understand agriculture or fisheries, seeing the countryside and oceans as abstract concepts rather than living communities. Bloody city folk :D :p
The book addresses the subject a a whole. I think you'd really enjoy it.

Might look into that if I get a chance - time is scarce at the moment! I like his agriculture/ecology stuff because he does have a good background knowledge of the subject.

I am very sceptical of modern environmentalism - it is too riddled with soundbites, oversimplistic solutions to immensely complex problems, and is tainted by the corporate dollar, PR, and lobbying. Too many of the politicians, journalists, and activists making a noise about it don't ask the important questions and don't always understand agriculture or fisheries, seeing the countryside and oceans as abstract concepts rather than living communities. Bloody city folk :D :p

Isnt the bigger picture that if you dismiss 'modern environmentalism' because its been hijacked by the corporate greedies, then youve got nowhere to go and are doomed. Isnt it better to embrace the environmental tidal wave warts and all but condemn the capitalist freeriders?

Isnt the bigger picture that if you dismiss 'modern environmentalism' because its been hijacked by the corporate greedies, then youve got nowhere to go and are doomed. Isnt it better to embrace the environmental tidal wave warts and all but condemn the capitalist freeriders?
I still advocate for environmentalism, but am very wary of the hijacking, tokenism, and false promises - which can lead to ineffective or even bad policies.

Carbon credits, for example, are oft abused. Oil companies displaying their green credentials to deflect away from the fact that they are destroying vast tracts of the environment. Politicians like Trudeau saying one thing and doing another. I don't dismiss modern environmentalism, but certainly do criticise.

I still advocate for environmentalism, but am very wary of the hijacking, tokenism, and false promises - which can lead to ineffective or even bad policies.

Carbon credits, for example, are oft abused. Oil companies displaying their green credentials to deflect away from the fact that they are destroying vast tracts of the environment. Politicians like Trudeau saying one thing and doing another. I don't dismiss modern environmentalism, but certainly do criticise.
I wouldn't claim expertise on this but I often think the market ideology approach to the environment is doomed and unworkable.

Thinks like carbon offsetting, pollution credit payments and the such like seem to shift a problem - it's not 'money' that the earth needs, it's better husbandry of our natural resources.

Someone shitting in your garden rather than using your toilet and paying you money to clean the shit up with enough spare to plant a nice tree still leaves you with a big turd in the garden.

(As an aside that is a poor analogy because there is probably some benefits for our shit to be retained in our gardens for composting but that's a separate discussion!)

Fkm8nuVWIAoevsG