Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

Waltz

First Team
Remainers are saying you must give your neighbour your garden.. and hope that at some stage he is willing to give it back because you no longer want to share your back garden with him.

Na.. it's total rubbish. It's a death sentence to anyone who takes their music career seriously. The voting is obviously political. You might have the greatest song in the history of music but if your country has done too little on climate change or dared to leave the EU prepare for nil pointe.

I always think we should just a philosophical doctrine by its off spring. The enlightenment produced the Renaissance, Thatcherism produced the EPL and European nationalism produced Eurovision both the latter are pathetic overblown abominations.
Have Russia or, Ukraine done a lot or, nothing in terms of climate change? When did their applications to join the EU arrive in Brussels? Funny as fuck. Tried to mimic the Orson Welles quote but, mangled it instead. πŸ˜‚

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
Na.. it's total rubbish. It's a death sentence to anyone who takes their music career seriously. The voting is obviously political. You might have the greatest song in the history of music but if your country has done too little on climate change or dared to leave the EU prepare for nil pointe.

I always think we should just a philosophical doctrine by its off spring. The enlightenment produced the Renaissance, Thatcherism produced the EPL and European nationalism produced Eurovision both the latter are pathetic overblown abominations.
If i bother watching it's usually just the voting because it was mildly amusing to watch Cyprus always give greece douse point. And try and predict the next EU crisis via the voting. My money is on Italy getting a beating and vying with the UK for bottom spot. Ireland will do very well with some song featuring the words "back" and "stop"
"You put a border in here.. Hey hey lets all do the backstop"
I have to disagree - partially, at least (there is some politics and bloc voting, but the effects of that are overblown, IMO, especially for the popular vote).

Ex-pats have an effect, that's pretty certain, so Greece always gives Albania points and Germany gives Turkey points, for example.

A lot of it is shared culture and heritage - although language isn't as much of an issue now, people tend to vote for music they like. So, countries in the Balkans vote for each other and Turkey because they write songs that they can understand musically and culturally.

The other is publicity - I often hear Eurovision entries on the radio long before the contest - if it is a good and well marketed song, people will play it.

One of the best ways to predict the winner would be to visit the gay bars of Mykonos - if a Eurovision entry gets the crowds going there, it has a chance!

Most of all, it has to be a good song nowadays - some of the recent winners have been cracking pop songs. Far from ending careers, it can make careers - someone here winning the contest is given the same kudos as an Olympic gold medal winner and becomes a big star. Perhaps that is why the UK never does well - you treat it as a joke when others take it very, very seriously. :D

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
Remainers are saying you must give your neighbour your garden.. and hope that at some stage he is willing to give it back because you no longer want to share your back garden with him.

Loving the laboured analogies btw.....

You do know Eurovision is almost as old as I am don't you? It started in 1956

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
I have to disagree - partially, at least (there is some politics and bloc voting, but the effects of that are overblown, IMO, especially for the popular vote).

Ex-pats have an effect, that's pretty certain, so Greece always gives Albania points and Germany gives Turkey points, for example.

A lot of it is shared culture and heritage - although language isn't as much of an issue now, people tend to vote for music they like. So, countries in the Balkans vote for each other and Turkey because they write songs that they can understand musically and culturally.

The other is publicity - I often hear Eurovision entries on the radio long before the contest - if it is a good and well marketed song, people will play it.

One of the best ways to predict the winner would be to visit the gay bars of Mykonos - if a Eurovision entry gets the crowds going there, it has a chance!

Most of all, it has to be a good song nowadays - some of the recent winners have been cracking pop songs. Far from ending careers, it can make careers - someone here winning the contest is given the same kudos as an Olympic gold medal winner and becomes a big star. Perhaps that is why the UK never does well - you treat it as a joke when others take it very, very seriously. :D
We insist on a crap song, badly performed by a nonentity and then wonder why we get null points......

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
We insist on a crap song, badly performed by a nonentity and then wonder why we get null points......
Exactly - so many people here, whether Greek, Albanian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Russian, Ukrainian etc.. love British pop and rock music (even the ones who can't understand English). They would happily vote for a good British song.

George Ezra's 'Paradise' got loads of airplay over here - something catchy and well-written like that, and the UK would have a chance.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
Exactly - so many people here, whether Greek, Albanian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Russian, Ukrainian etc.. love British pop and rock music (even the ones who can't understand English). They would happily vote for a good British song.

George Ezra's 'Paradise' got loads of airplay over here - something catchy and well-written like that, and the UK would have a chance.
Infamy, infamy,they've all got it in for me ;)

sliper

Manager
If i bother watching it's usually just the voting because it was mildly amusing to watch Cyprus always give greece douse point. And try and predict the next EU crisis via the voting. My money is on Italy getting a beating and vying with the UK for bottom spot. Ireland will do very well with some song featuring the words "back" and "stop"
Although our entry might be a clever bit of reverse psychology a Remainer UK entry called "its bigger than us" just to show Europeans the majority still want to stay in (obviously). Genius

sliper

Manager

It's a bit like teetotallers trying run a piss up. Eurovision exemplifies the gulf between British pop music and the European equivalent. A sort of Britpop exceptionalism in this case British is clearly many times better than the European equivalent its a bit like asking Liverpool to take part in the FA Trophy.

To the serious player it's a bit like asking them to go on loan to Gretna Academicaks to further their career.

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
It's a bit like teetotallers trying run a piss up. Eurovision exemplifies the gulf between British pop music and the European equivalent. A sort of Britpop exceptionalism in this case British is clearly many times better than the European equivalent its a bit like asking Liverpool to take part in the FA Trophy.

To the serious player it's a bit like asking them to go on loan to Gretna Academicaks to further their career.
Eurovision does have Europop element, that's for sure (I really didn't like the winner last year - thought Cyprus' entry was far better). That said,
I'm not a massive pop music fan, but some decent songs won the contest in recent years.

John T

Reserve
Pardon me for asking, but what on earth as the Eurovision Song Contest got to do with Brexit which is what this theme is supposed to be about
Last time I watched part of it, Israel had an entry, how long have they been in the EU or have I missed something?
This topic is long enough already; if you want to talk Eurovision try starting another topic devoted to that PLEASE
Mean while our MP’s drone on and on and on

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Pardon me for asking, but what on earth as the Eurovision Song Contest got to do with Brexit which is what this theme is supposed to be about
Last time I watched part of it, Israel had an entry, how long have they been in the EU or have I missed something?
This topic is long enough already; if you want to talk Eurovision try starting another topic devoted to that PLEASE
My thread and they have permission to spout shite on here ;)

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron
That almost fits in with the tune to The Timewarp.

You hear a cry from the left
And the EU veers to the right
You then throttle the Brits
And screw the Greeks at the same time

Lets do the Backstop again.....

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron
Spoilsport, I was dusting off my Abba flares till you popped up.

PNEPPC

First Team
You are wasting your time. I don't want to share my back garden with a neighbour anymore but I wont be putting a fence up to stop them coming through when they need to. They've decided to put a fence up anyway because I don't want to share the back garden.

But its ENTIRELY my fault for not wanting to share my garden with them any more.

The key word is ENTIRELY. Apparently the EU remain blameless for everything. I'm mystified by that attitude but self-flagellation must be de rigeur amongst many posters on here!
As must ignorance!

As Essex so rightly says, the WTO rules pertaining to Most Favoured Nation state that countries must treat all other countries they trade with equitably. Meaning if there's no border controls between the UK (N. Ireland) and Ireland, then there can't be controls on the UK and other countries.

Here's the ruling:
Article I: General Most-Favoured-Nation Treatment
1. With respect to customs duties and charges of any kind imposed on or in connection with importation or exportation or imposed on the international transfer of payments for imports or exports, and with respect to the method of levying such duties and charges, and with respect to all rules and formalities in connection with importation and exportation, and with respect to all matters referred to in paragraphs 2 and 4 of Article III,* any advantage, favour, privilege or immunity granted by any contracting party to any product originating in or destined for any other country shall be accorded immediately and unconditionally to the like product originating in or destined for the territories of all other contracting parties.