PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

Yes he did I'm afraid.

Mind you, he is a fat, thick bully. Of the many MPs Ive had dealings with over the years, he is the most odious of the lot (Mind you, Priti Patel isnt much better)
Jesus there are some right arrogant sods, yes we paid a price, in ww2 and we could not have achieved what we did without some last minute intervention, but We would have been hammered without outside influence, BUT that does. Not mean we should bang on about a “special relationship” if you get my drift.....

Yes he did I'm afraid.

Mind you, he is a fat, thick bully. Of the many MPs Ive had dealings with over the years, he is the most odious of the lot (Mind you, Priti Patel isnt much better)
Don't know much about him, but he does sound like a bit of a prick.

Sadly, you can go into any parliament in the world and find idiots like him - that was my point. The British are no better or worse than anyone else when it comes to patronising, arrogant, jingoistic sods. I certainly don't buy into the idea that there is a streak of arrogance and looking down on other nationalities ingrained within the wider British psyche - that does not resemble my experiences.

I am a firm believer that most folk are decent and tolerant, whatever nationality, but there are always exceptions. Especially among politicians and media :)

How can you have lived on this Earth amd not noticed it? The Sum doesnt publish it just for fun, its for comsumption. You dont get the same the French or German media to the same disgusting extent. The local Gemran shop in Portishead got ransacked due to the British media frenzy after a Engalnd defeat. Kin Insel Aners.

Good grief, why not just get yourself a sackcloth and ashes and indulge in self-flagellation?

If you think jingoism and patronising behaviour is a peculiarly English trait then you are surely entitled to your opinion. I like people of all nationalities and like Sepp I generally find good people everywhere, no better and no worse in most places. There are certain behavioural trends and values which although not exclusive appear to be more prevalent in some places than others but generally this isn't something I associate with Brits...the media yes perhaps. If I go to see my partners family who are Catalan/French then I am regularly reminded how shit the weather is in England, how superior the food is in France (even when quite often it isn't) etc etc. They 'take the piss' but they mean it. It's called having a laugh.

Racism? I have come across far more people who make racist comments in France than in the UK. Perhaps they are just more overt (honest?) about it but I don't think so. In Spain it is even more prevalent.

Good grief, why not just get yourself a sackcloth and ashes and indulge in self-flagellation?

If you think jingoism and patronising behaviour is a peculiarly English trait then you are surely entitled to your opinion. I like people of all nationalities and like Sepp I generally find good people everywhere, no better and no worse in most places. There are certain behavioural trends and values which although not exclusive appear to be more prevalent in some places than others but generally this isn't something I associate with Brits...the media yes perhaps. If I go to see my partners family who are Catalan/French then I am regularly reminded how shit the weather is in England, how superior the food is in France (even when quite often it isn't) etc etc. They 'take the piss' but they mean it. It's called having a laugh.

Racism? I have come across far more people who make racist comments in France than in the UK. Perhaps they are just more overt (honest?) about it but I don't think so. In Spain it is even more prevalent.
Exactly. I'm not particularly inclined towards nationalism, but I don't see any particular reason to have a downer on the British. I find that the Brits are, on the whole, tolerant and welcoming. The media and some politicians are arseholes, and you will have a proportion of bigots - that's a fair point - but most countries have some arrogant fools who want to highlight differences and promote national superiority while denigrating others. That's human nature.

I can go to Sparta in the tourist season and see people from all nationalities getting on with each other and treating each other as equals - and that includes Brits. On the beaches at Stoupa, Brits, French, Germans, Italians, Dutch, Scandinavians, and many other nationalities all mix happily and generally have a good time. I simply don't see this idea of British trying to educate other nations or teach them history. Of course, others may have had different experiences - I can only go by my own.

If we are looking at how other races stereotype the English, most Greeks have a vision of the English that is completely opposite to the idea of overbearing arrogance. They think that we are reserved, over-polite, kind, tolerant, tough, and try to avoid offending people at all costs. I quite like that :D

Admittedly It is truly appalling.. It truly makes me wonder how the EU hasn't been given up as a bad job. It's either that or incomprehensible Magyar soaps and chat shows.
Great city though.. Still no EU flags.. No one not a single one.. And we've been looking round palaces, castles and government buildings.

Went through two villages yesterday.. Felsogod.. Alsogod.. Was expecting the next to be notquitesogood.

You realise there are no EU flags at the Parliament as the authoritarian right wing anti-immigrant powers that be banned them some years ago?

Likewise almost every flag was flying a Hungarian flag as it was their national day the previous week so the entire centre was a huge dedication to the flag(or the symbolic independence flags which have the middle cut out which we saw multiple)

I probably wouldn’t want to fly an EU flag if I was running any sort of business there for fear of being targeted(some of the more liberal establishments offered discounts to visitors from other members of the EU so maybe they realised some sense that things are maybe better than they used to be a few decades ago)

Last edited:
You cant beat a politician that has is principled.

D2nm04PX4AAes-N

Yes he did I'm afraid.

His middle name is Gino and his mum an Italian.

I can only assume she, understandably, did not love him.

It would explain a lot.

You realise there are no EU flags at the Parliament as the authoritarian right wing anti-immigrant powers that be banned them some years ago?

Likewise almost every flag was flying a Hungarian flag as it was their national day the previous week so the entire centre was a huge dedication to the flag(or the symbolic independence flags which have the middle cut out which we saw multiple)

I probably wouldn’t want to fly an EU flag if I was running any sort of business there for fear of being targeted(some of the more liberal establishments offered discounts to visitors from other members of the EU so maybe they realised some sense that things are maybe better than they used to be a few decades ago)
Who are they Jake?

Not saying this is the route we should take but..........

Why on earth has it taken the best part of 3 years for MPs to be finally allowed to come up with "Positive," ideas rather than being totally excluded from the process by May.

As I see it democracy asked Parliament to arrange to leave the EU, Had this happened from day one Im sure we`d be leaving on thursday.

D2nOtaTWoAUWQQC

Not saying this is the route we should take but..........

Why on earth has it taken the best part of 3 years for MPs to be finally allowed to come up with "Positive," ideas rather than being totally excluded from the process by May.

As I see it democracy asked Parliament to arrange to leave the EU, Had this happened from day one Im sure we`d be leaving on thursday.

D2nOtaTWoAUWQQC

Because Teresa saw Brexit as a way to become a legend in the eyes of history - “ her” deal would be the one that history recalls.

Party politics should be no where near this process - the referendum wasn’t , neither should it’s implementation.

Sorry your internet isn’t working . Here’s a Wikipedia extract

Fidesz is currently considered a national conservative party favoring interventionist policies on economic issues like handling of banks, and a strong conservative stance on social issues and European integration.[47][48][49]Recently, the party has increasingly been described as far-right,[50][51][52][53] and has also been called "soft fascist".[54][55] The Fidesz party has denied such accusations and distanced itself from the extreme right;[56] it has criticized such accusations as politically motivated opposition to its anti-immigrant policies and pursuit of "illiberal democracy".[57][58][59]

Sorry your internet isn’t working . Here’s a Wikipedia extract
My internet is working fine Jake, nice to see your condescending posting manner is too.

Oh, by the way, no where on that report does it say the group you mention banned eu flags at parliament. Can you provide that bit to?

Thanks Jakey.

Because Teresa saw Brexit as a way to become a legend in the eyes of history - “ her” deal would be the one that history recalls.

Party politics should be no where near this process - the referendum wasn’t , neither should it’s implementation.
100% agree, Ive said from day one that this should have been done cross party instead of attempting to create some type of utopia that would benefit only a very small section of the community.

100% agree, Ive said from day one that this should have been done cross party instead of attempting to create some type of utopia that would benefit only a very small section of the community.
Get out,

From day one you’ve been crying we should remain ?

How can you have lived on this Earth amd not noticed it? The Sum doesnt publish it just for fun, its for comsumption. You dont get the same the French or German media to the same disgusting extent. The local Gemran shop in Portishead got ransacked due to the British media frenzy after a Engalnd defeat. Kin Insel Aners.

Thing is everywhere you go there are Brits.. we Brits may be rubbish at languages but we travel a lot and in big numbers I don't recognise this inward looking Brit often derided by Remainers. I don't know maybe it's our weather. You find Brits right around the globe.. And many EU countries are far more insular and less travelled. I think we are as much global as European. Why the hell should we focus on being like less travelled Europeans ?
I don't have a problem at all with Europeans.. I can get by speaking French and enjoy visiting different countries. I have British and southern European ancestry

Just come back from a Hungarian restaurant and had a real good food and a laugh. Viva la difference.

But I have a basic principle I will oppose any executive I can't vote out without compromise. Junker, selymar and Tusk will never speak fir me. I also think the EU is essentially a dressed up Franco German alliance.. The EU isn't Europe.. It's a bureaucratic anti democratic monolith inexorably grinding people down. It has little positive to offer going forward.

I have made no secret I would support a genuine Common Market but the contrived political union with itsmantra "ever closer union" will never work..

i guessed it was Orbán
Weve visited 3 former communist countries and not seen a single EU flag

Thing is everywhere you go there are Brits.. we Brits may be rubbish at languages but we travel a lot and in big numbers I don't recognise this inward looking Brit often derided by Remainers. I don't know maybe it's our weather. You find Brits right around the globe.. And many EU countries are far more insular and less travelled. I think we are as much global as European. Why the hell should we focus on being like less travelled Europeans ?

i guessed it was Orbán
Youre absolutely obsessed!!

Who gives a flying about a flag?

I can see you driving along with your union flag attached to your window whistling rule Brittania.

Would be funny if we suddenly did pull out on Friday and you had to join the long queue to get back in or got thrown in jail for not having the correct visa. :)

i guessed it was Orbán
That is one of the things that some of the federalists within the EU can't/won't understand - these countries only escaped the yoke of a brutal regime 30 years ago. They are enjoying their freedom and building their identity so, understandably, they are wary of giving away powers to a faraway, centralised bureaucracy.

Social and cultural changes like that take generations - maybe there lies the problem with the EU. Back in the 1990s, it could have gone for deeper integration among the core countries, or it could have expanded eastwards and remained a looser confederation of nation states. Instead, they went for both, and it has not worked, IMO.