PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

True, but not unusual - I used to play football for a local village team. That means I was a footballer - amateur, not professional, but a footballer all the same.

And I was mediocre, if I am being generous to myself :D

I played the game to a very high level, but am not a footballer.

So you’re just as much as a footballer as I am and was - don’t be putting yourself down! :)

We are going to get exactly what Johnson/Gove etc wanted from the outset: No Deal.

If the EU don't change their position

That may well be the case

In which case we will be completely free of them or at the very least trade on WTO terms
By the way without a Trade Deal? Don’t we already trade very well with The USA?

The Idea that We and Them will never trade with each other is ridicules and just scaremongering

Why even when in the Napoleonic Wars when Napoleon made it illegal for the French to trade it kept happening

I am not saying it will go that far, boats ‘landing at the dead of night in Dover’

But the old saying where there’s Money there’s trade will always apply

I was firmly in the Remain camp, but tbh think that by design, or more likely just plain Tory incompetence , brinkmanship is probably in our best interests now.

So unconcerned. Ish.

Look on the Bright Side of Life...How can a Hard Brexit POSSIBLY make it any worse? :D

If the EU don't change their position

That may well be the case

In which case we will be completely free of them or at the very least trade on WTO terms
By the way without a Trade Deal? Don’t we already trade very well with The USA?

The Idea that We and Them will never trade with each other is ridicules and just scaremongering

Why even when in the Napoleonic Wars when Napoleon made it illegal for the French to trade it kept happening

I am not saying it will go that far, boats ‘landing at the dead of night in Dover’

But the old saying where there’s Money there’s trade will always apply

We aren't changing ours. Would you accept food and goods being imported into the UK that didn't meet British standards?

No you wouldn't.

Well, that's exactly what the UK is trying to enforce on the EU.

Everyone blames the EU, but we're not going an inch either.

How can we expect free trade if our goods don't meet EU standards, it's plain unreasonable.

We aren't changing ours. Would you accept food and goods being imported into the UK that didn't meet British standards?

No you wouldn't.

Well, that's exactly what the UK is trying to enforce on the EU.

Everyone blames the EU, but we're not going an inch either.

How can we expect free trade if our goods don't meet EU standards, it's plain unreasonable.

I wouldn't expect anyone trading with someone in the EU NOT to meet their standards

Just as I would expect anyone trading with us to meet ours
Do you not think if a manufacturer (Of whatever) here at the moment hasn't to meet China’s or the USA Standards?
I bet you if anyone trading with the USA doesn't and it causes Health or other problems will soon fall a ‘cropper’ in their courts
I know from working on Export sales how careful you need to be

Everything including the ‘paperwork’ has to be just so

It doesn’t stop trade though if there is money to be made

Were out of the EU now, get used to it.

The Racists, the Thickos and the Ignorant have got their way.

Welcome to Tory Britain

Were out of the EU now, get used to it.

The Racists, the Thickos and the Ignorant have got their way.

Welcome to Tory Britain

And you wonder why you might get banned?

Racists, Thickos and ignorant are we?
Just because we didn't agree with YOU
Well have another look at the referendum result
There were quite a lot of us
That's why we have left

I wouldn't expect anyone trading with someone in the EU NOT to meet their standards

Just as I would expect anyone trading with us to meet ours
Do you not think if a manufacturer (Of whatever) here at the moment hasn't to meet China’s or the USA Standards?
I bet you if anyone trading with the USA doesn't and it causes Health or other problems will soon fall a ‘cropper’ in their courts
I know from working on Export sales how careful you need to be

Everything including the ‘paperwork’ has to be just so

It doesn’t stop trade though if there is money to be made

I've worked in overseas exports (B2B) most of my career. You mention China and USA, the difference is we don't have free trade with those countries so each order has to be sold to strict specifications as you say.

We've been bullshited all along by the Brexits that we'd get a free trade deal with the EU and be free of EU law. We were promised we'd have our cake and eat it, total bullshit. A lot of people voted Brexit because they were told, and believed, we could.

I've worked in overseas exports (B2B) most of my career. You mention China and USA, the difference is we don't have free trade with those countries so each order has to be sold to strict specifications as you say.

We've been bullshited all along by the Brexits that we'd get a free trade deal with the EU and be free of EU law. We were promised we'd have our cake and eat it, total bullshit. A lot of people voted Brexit because they were told, and believed, we could.

Just like today. Oh it'll all work out. The world wont end. Quite true. If only all these people living for today were the sort that didnt bleat or have a political transformation when the shit hits their fan downstream. As for many it most certainly will.

Well Then

I suspect we do more trade with the USA than any other Country in the EU. (Probably not the EU has a whole) admittedly, but for that we were paying has a member roughly 14 Billion a year

FOR WHAT I ASK YOU?

My answer would be to fund a bureaucratic organisation in Brussels made up largely of Top people who were second rate Politicians in their own Country’s. Past and current Presidents being good examples

If it had stayed has a Common Market I would have had no problems, why such previously Great Independent Countries like France and Germany (never mind Us) gave it up I have never quite understood and probably never will

Well Then

I suspect we do more trade with the USA than any other Country in the EU. (Probably not the EU has a whole) admittedly, but for that we were paying has a member roughly 14 Billion a year

FOR WHAT I ASK YOU?

My answer would be to fund a bureaucratic organisation in Brussels made up largely of Top people who were second rate Politicians in their own Country’s. Past and current Presidents being good examples

If it had stayed has a Common Market I would have had no problems, why such previously Great Independent Countries like France and Germany (never mind Us) gave it up I have never quite understood and probably never will

The EU do more trade with the USA, than any other country but keep saying distance matters in trade.

Well Then

FOR WHAT I ASK YOU?

Here are the actual numbers for last year:

• United States: US$72.6 billion (15.5% of total UK exports)
  • Germany: $46.6 billion (9.9%)
  • France: $31.2 billion (6.7%)
  • Netherlands: $30.3 billion (6.5%)
  • China: $30 billion (6.4%)
  • Ireland: $27.9 billion (5.9%)
  • Belgium: $16.8 billion (3.6%)
So exports to the US are less than those to France and Germany combined.

Also, the EU is a lot more than just a trading body. As, it ensures security of supply, and it is a powerful trade negotiating block which is greater than the sum of its parts.
And then there's the collaborations in science and space programs. That's were a lot of the money goes and it's reinvested in UK Universities and start up companies.
So the net £8billion pa that goes to the EU is largely an investment, not simple expenditure.

Here are the actual numbers for last year:

• United States: US$72.6 billion (15.5% of total UK exports)
  • Germany: $46.6 billion (9.9%)
  • France: $31.2 billion (6.7%)
  • Netherlands: $30.3 billion (6.5%)
  • China: $30 billion (6.4%)
  • Ireland: $27.9 billion (5.9%)
  • Belgium: $16.8 billion (3.6%)
So exports to the US are less than those to France and Germany combined.

Also, the EU is a lot more than just a trading body. As, it ensures security of supply, and it is a powerful trade negotiating block which is greater than the sum of its parts.
And then there's the collaborations in science and space programs. That's were a lot of the money goes and it's reinvested in UK Universities and start up companies.
So the net £8billion pa that goes to the EU is largely an investment, not simple expenditure.

So in your own words the US is our largest individual trading Partner, and that without an official trade deal too

As for the EU Countries, are you really saying we won't 'do' trade with them even if we left with No Deal, sorry that beggars belief
There is a chance China will improve (if we want after this current lot)
I suspect we ‘do’ quite a lot of trade with both Japan and Korea already

And you seem to have Complete forgotten one of the World’s biggest market India

And then there are our other Commonwealth Countries; Canada, Australia and News Zealand to name but three

Open your eyes there’s a whole big World out there, we traded with nearly everyone once, with the right attitude we can ‘do’ it again

We get better trade deals with all those countries as part of the EU than we could on our own.