PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

For a man of such superior intelligence, you do so often reach for the belittling sharp reply to people. It's not often been me - but having seen you do it often to others, I will treat it with the disdain it deserves.
I really couldn't give a flying toss what you think tbh, so your can save your disdain for someone who cares. I really have completely run out of fucks to give on here of late.

I agree with almost all the post - except I do think Mer5ey’s hypothetical question has relevance as a focus of debate. It’s interesting to consider the creation of that EU/UK border - if it had been created by the Irish rather than by us.

I already gave my view on the scenario- and I genuinely hope for some reasonable comment on it. Basically, I see no way in the world that the Irish would have held a referendum committing themselves to membership of the EU - where the Ireland/ Northern Ireland border was not the focus of enormous scrutiny and negotiation beforehand.

My eyes will pop out if anyone disagrees with that! And IMO, this should bring home the abject failure and stupidity of what our Tory masters did when convincing people to vote for it.
I don’t entirely agree but it’s a fair answer and I believe it’s your honest opinion. Cheers Reg.

The GFA could never have happened without the EU and the customs union. Prior to 1992 there were customs posts at all the border crossing points. Over time the number and nature of checks reduced as more bilateral agreements were signed, but checks were still taking place.

You cannot hypothesise that everything remained the same except for the RoI joining and the UK not joining back in the day because things were in a constant state of flux from 1922 onwards
So much so that the CTA predates freedom of movement within the EU by about 50 years.

I don’t entirely agree but it’s a fair answer and I believe it’s your honest opinion. Cheers Reg.

I have played your hypothetical game! So go on then - pick apart my response - particularly the one I gave to raef - because it looks pretty incontestable to me! What wouldn’t you entirely agree with?

I think the notion that those in the republic would have considered the north first, before making an economic decision, is flawed. Ireland is not homogenous in its desire for island unity above all else. There are many in power who are far more pragmatic than that.
That said, I do think it would have merited more discussion than this shower of goons gave it.

I think the notion that those in the republic would have considered the north first, before making an economic decision, is flawed. Ireland is not homogenous in its desire for island unity above all else. There are many in power who are far more pragmatic than that.
That said, I do think it would have merited more discussion than this shower of goons gave it.

Hmmm. IMO you’ve “not entirely agreed” with a couple of things I didn’t really say! :sneaky: But that’ll do for now.

They want to get my neighbour into one of those jobs, early twenties no disability that you can see, but sits at home all day smoking weed....

Funny how people are now complaining about the details of our Brexit deal when they all voted for something with absolutely no details.

Would you sign any legal document without knowing the details, anyone with half a brain cell wouldn’t do that.

And now the shambles is unraveling the chaos has started, with lots more hidden by the pandemic, and Saint Boris of the Vaccination in a completely untouchable place as he has never told a lie, or answered a question.

As the shambles shows up more, coupled with a post pandemic depression, fasten your safety belts.

I preferred to stay in because it’s a divorce, and everyone will suffer, but I have to confess that the behaviour of the EU after a democratic vote means I’m thinking we are better of out of it, but not for the original Brexit arguments.

It’s a shambles of horrendous proportions.

And Bullshit Boris remains a hero after lieing through his ass........

Funny how people are now complaining about the details of our Brexit deal when they all voted for something with absolutely no details.

Would you sign any legal document without knowing the details, anyone with half a brain cell wouldn’t do that.

And now the shambles is unraveling the chaos has started, with lots more hidden by the pandemic, and Saint Boris of the Vaccination in a completely untouchable place as he has never told a lie, or answered a question.

As the shambles shows up more, coupled with a post pandemic depression, fasten your safety belts.

I preferred to stay in because it’s a divorce, and everyone will suffer, but I have to confess that the behaviour of the EU after a democratic vote means I’m thinking we are better of out of it, but not for the original Brexit arguments.

I’ve disagreed with you before over this but I think we’re pretty much on the same page.

Funny bit is the right wing tabloids are trying to blame the EU. It was Johnson's decision to sign the agreement ffs.

Biggest laugh of all is the Sun talking about the good old British sausage whereas in reality it's far wider than that. The patronising cunts, says a lot about what they think of their readership. It reminds me of a Yes Minister episode in the 80's. 😂

G

Good post, that - agree with much more than I disagree with.