PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

And yet another consequence of Brexit….

Amazon to stop accepting Visa credit cards in UK

Both Visa and its rival Mastercard have raised the so-called interchange fee on cross-border transactions between businesses in the UK and the European Union following Brexit.
So ignore the bullshit trying to appease Brexit voters.

I’ve just had a look at my Amazon account. There’s no mention of a £20 offer to switch my payment method but they are offering a £40 gift card if I get an Amazon MasterCard (which explains why MasterCard is still to be accepted). That’ll come in handy with Christmas coming up but I suspect this is an underhand way of switching customers to their own card thus tightening the grip on power over their “customers”.

No doubt Visa will crawl back with an offer that’ll be agreed at the 11th hour.

And yet another consequence of Brexit….

Amazon to stop accepting Visa credit cards in UK

So ignore the bullshit trying to appease Brexit voters.

I’ve just had a look at my Amazon account. There’s no mention of a £20 offer to switch my payment method but they are offering a £40 gift card if I get an Amazon MasterCard (which explains why MasterCard is still to be accepted). That’ll come in handy with Christmas coming up but I suspect this is an underhand way of switching customers to their own card thus tightening the grip on power over their “customers”.

No doubt Visa will crawl back with an offer that’ll be agreed at the 11th hour.
People should take their business elsewhere, I will.

Definitely (well, definite that enlightened people can see what's happening!)

But as you say, they have built such a monopoly, there are times when it's difficult for a normal busy person to avoid using them.
Used to use Amazon a lot, years ago - partly because I drew my ad revenue in vouchers.

Mainly because there was often no other way to buy stuff here - whether books or spare parts for the washing machine.

Try to use them as little as possible, now - can usually find other places to buy things.

Horrible company that tries to squeeze the last drop out of everything. Including Visa, it seems.

I notice they're only stopping it's use on 16th Jan. Real principle would have been 16th November.

Business eh?
Strange how this coincides with them bringing out their own card.

They are trying the same with shipping companies - threatening not to use them unless they drop prices.

The joys of unfettered capitalism. Still, at least Jeff can buy another rocket!

Used to use Amazon a lot, years ago - partly because I drew my ad revenue in vouchers.

Mainly because there was often no other way to buy stuff here - whether books or spare parts for the washing machine.

Try to use them as little as possible, now - can usually find other places to buy things.

Horrible company that tries to squeeze the last drop out of everything. Including Visa, it seems.
And it’s not always cheaper on Amazon, but it is convenient

And it’s not always cheaper on Amazon, but it is convenient

Im as guilty as the next person. But theyre doing what monopolies do. We'll all be sorry in the end. We need to rediscover diversity and local trade if we're to survive in the long term. It makes no sense to come out of COP nodding seriously and then carrying on doing the exact opposite of whats required.

Amazon squeezing Visa, or Visa squeezing the retailers? Who blinked first once the rules allowed them.

The Amazon Mastercard tie up has been around for years, not sure it's any sort of new marketing tactic. I don't think this is quite teh story it's getting portrayed as "plucky Visa/nasty Amazon". It was an EU imposed cap previously so maybe they were squeezing Visa at least, if it wasn't a viable fee then presumably Visa could have just not been a payment option presumably.

Visa last month began charging 1.5 per cent of the transaction value for credit card payments made online or over the phone between the UK and EU, and 1.15 per cent for debit card transactions, up from 0.3 per cent and 0.2 per cent respectively.

Amazon squeezing Visa, or Visa squeezing the retailers? Who blinked first once the rules allowed them.

The Amazon Mastercard tie up has been around for years, not sure it's any sort of new marketing tactic. I don't think this is quite teh story it's getting portrayed as "plucky Visa/nasty Amazon". It was an EU imposed cap previously so maybe they were squeezing Visa at least, if it wasn't a viable fee then presumably Visa could have just not been a payment option presumably.

So they are going back to what they did a few years ago.

Probably a bit of both, to be honest - corporate shenanigans are often filthy!

I will point out that I am no fan of Visa, either - they are often guilty of squeezing smaller retailers with charges, knowing they can't fight back. That's even more sinister when you consider the drive among some politicians for purely digital currency, doing away with cash.

As Portishead Pete said, look local, look independent. That's the only way!

Probably a bit of both, to be honest - corporate shenanigans are often filthy!

I will point out that I am no fan of Visa, either - they are often guilty of squeezing smaller retailers with charges, knowing they can't fight back. That's even more sinister when you consider the drive among some politicians for purely digital currency, doing away with cash.

As Portishead Pete said, look local, look independent. That's the only way!
the guy who services our cars did away with his card machine due to the costs, we just transfer the money directly to his bank account. He trusts us as we have used him for years.

I don’t have a credit card anymore. Cash or debit card all the time now, fortunately we are at a stage where we have no worries Cash wise.
I get a new credit card every year.

My season cards are always bought with a 0% purchase card and paid off during the 10 months of the season.

You have to make them work for you.

the guy who services our cars did away with his card machine due to the costs, we just transfer the money directly to his bank account. He trusts us as we have used him for years.
I am very wary of electronic money after the EU showed that it would happily stop you taking out your own money or even seize it from your bank account.

Much prefer cash - but, they brought in laws stating that some transactions have to be by card/electronic. Seems to be the way things are going.

I am very wary of electronic money after the EU showed that it would happily stop you taking out your own money or even seize it from your bank account.

Much prefer cash - but, they brought in laws stating that some transactions have to be by card/electronic. Seems to be the way things are going.
Been having this discussion a lot recently. I live a virtually cash-free existence. I literally never touch the stuff these days. My entire financial life lives on a screen. Numbers get added to my phone screen, and some other numbers get taken off again.

Once the computers get turned off and my phone battery dies, what do I actually have?

To be honest at this point I'd rather have a microchip inserted under my skin. At least it's mine.

Been having this discussion a lot recently. I live a virtually cash-free existence. I literally never touch the stuff these days. My entire financial life lives on a screen. Numbers get added to my phone screen, and some other numbers get taken off again.

Once the computers get turned off and my phone battery dies, what do I actually have?

To be honest at this point I'd rather have a microchip inserted under my skin. At least it's mine.
Yup - the bank run here, and the seizure of money from bank accounts in Cyprus really showed the weaknesses of such a system. I have to use online banking, Paypal etc., with little choice in that. But, I do like to have the option of cash that the government or European Central Bank cannot take from me.

If you took the vaccine, then Bill Gates has already made sure you have a microchip implant. Don't go near any 5G towers :D :p

You could imagine that the 'cash' you believed you had in the bank could in future get treated like bonds where the statement you receive through the post specifies the bond value, but lower down you see a lesser surrender value. With the central bank determining on any day what market value adjustment plus charges they would apply to cash withdrawals.

Yup - the bank run here, and the seizure of money from bank accounts in Cyprus really showed the weaknesses of such a system. I have to use online banking, Paypal etc., with little choice in that. But, I do like to have the option of cash that the government or European Central Bank cannot take from me.

If you took the vaccine, then Bill Gates has already made sure you have a microchip implant. Don't go near any 5G towers :D :p
If Bill wants to track me around the house and sitting on the toilet then he can fill his boots 🤪