PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

Think I can get an Irish one in a year.

Dunno if I’ll bother as airports have been pretty sensible since Brexit, from my experience.

Plus it might upset some of my in-laws.

Sod it, maybe I will!

This sounds like progress.​

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/12/eu-reduce-northern-ireland-border-checks-brexit-uk

EU offers to reduce Northern Ireland border checks to ‘a couple of lorries a day​

The EU has initiated a fresh attempt to end the Northern Ireland Brexit dispute with the UK with a proposal to reduce checks on goods crossing the Irish Sea to a near “invisible manner” involving just “a couple of lorries” a day.

Maroš Šefčovič, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, said physical checks would be made only “when there is a reasonable suspicion of illegal trade smuggling, illegal drugs, dangerous toys or poisoned food”.

The move was described by the Irish prime minister, Micheál Martin, as evidence of “further solutions” and “flexibility” in Brussels.

“I spoke with the British PM late last week. It was a preliminary discussion. We will meet again on these issues, “ he said.
Won’t be long before it happens at the Dover end then?

Can certainly see why this group of tories were so desperate to get out of the EU, we cant have this level of unfairness, can we?

FcwM0yvXwAAhHuy

FcxE6-BXEAECEOE

Britain and the US are poor societies with some very rich people When it comes to average household incomes, the UK may soon need to ask migrant labourers to take a pay cut

Its for individual countries to cap the price, the way france has already done.

Can certainly see why this group of tories were so desperate to get out of the EU, we cant have this level of unfairness, can we?

FcwM0yvXwAAhHuy

They have the power to impose that ? Haven't you been telling us for years that individual Countries can opt out ? I think it's great if the headline is true but it isn't is it?

so it’s like taxing the top, giving it to the poor, just to give it back to the ones at the top🤔

Surely the alternative is to NOT tax the top... then to borrow one or two hundred billion pounds and give it to the ones at the top.

And the borrowed money is on the national debt... which we all have to pay back.

Am I missing something? Because that's just so fundamentally different, I can't see what you (and @Wibble) appear to be not understanding.

Surely the alternative is to NOT tax the top... then to borrow one or two hundred billion pounds and give it to the ones at the top.

And the borrowed money is on the national debt... which we all have to pay back.

Am I missing something? Because that's just so fundamentally different, I can't see what you (and @Wibble) appear to be not understanding.
Sadly, that is always how it seems to work. :(

Sadly, that is always how it seems to work. :(

That's what the UK is doing - but I thought the EU was taking a different approach - with a windfall tax to limit the cost to their individual national debts. I thought that was the point of the post I was replying to. Not fully clued up on it

That's what the UK is doing - but I thought the EU was taking a different approach - with a windfall tax to limit the cost to their individual national debts. I thought that was the point of the post I was replying to. Not fully clued up on it
Let's say I am a little mistrustful of the EU after the past decade - our personal share of the bailout debt is over 100,000 Euros that is shifted upwards!

I'm not necessarily against a windfall tax, btw, but people are overstating how effective they will be - firstly, while countries are proclaiming them because it soothes angry voters, courts in various countries are already striking them down. Secondly, such initiatives in the past always fall far short of the headline figures - I suspect that they won't get anywhere near the 140 billion Euros claimed. There are plenty of loopholes and exceptions, and many of the profits these companies produce have already been hedged against future prices and are not taxable. Energy markets are unbelievably complex (deliberately so, IMO).

Even if you take the optimistic figure, they still fall woefully short of what is needed and the shortfall still falls upon the national debt and taxpayers (Germany is talking about them providing maximum 9 billion out of a total 60 billion cost). We are also not sure how this will feed through into future prices yet - if they rise, then we have merely delayed, not solved the problem. They are also short term measures that give governments an excuse to avoid making the tough decisions about reforming markets, cutting demand, and investing in energy that are needed. In other words, kicking the can down the road like we did after the financial crisis.

As a provocative question, why don't we impose a windfall tax on Covid vaccine manufacturers? :D

we Shouldn’t be borrowing to give folks money to pay higher bills, they should cap the companies AND take a windfall tax off them, the money they make is obscene.