PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Can anyone defend him now?

Should Alex Neil be sacked?

• Yes - Immediately

Votes: 259 79.9%
  • Yes - In the Summer

Votes: 37 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 28 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But surely the only time you’ve seen them was when they played us, which as mentioned appears to be the only time they’re truly competitive. A quarter of all their goals have come against us

They’re the only team to lose more than we have, they’re the only team to play as many long balls as we do (which everyone complains about Neil for) and they are bottom of the league with 6 wins. I don’t get why people want to bring their manager here

If he hadn’t played for north end it wouldn’t even be suggested

What you post does is highlight just how bad our record is against this season.

I think its slightly harsh to judge him on this season and overall the job he's done at Wycombe has been great. They all work their backsides off for him, he plays a style which suits his players which had been found out in the championship (against every manager but ours).

I like Gareth and whilst I think he could give us a bit of a jolt in the short term but agree long-term he isn't what we need.

Everyone is holding Neil accountable (I'm not saying he isnt) for where we are when we are pretty much where our budget says we should be.
An Barnsleys budget?
We really need to stop playing this card
Yep, Hemmings's wage structure still isn't in line with what it should be an collectively himself, PR an AN are all under the spotlight, they are all to blame.
An 86 year old owner who just wants to sit on what he's got, unfortunately is not the way forward, so whoever is in the hot seat next has to install his dynamic an belief into the players, while we pray for a very good summer window, in fact forget praying, it's needed, simple as that.

We need to stop goin on about budgets an punching above our weight type comments though. He's 86! If he doesn't wanna go for it now, he never will!!

But surely the only time you’ve seen them was when they played us, which as mentioned appears to be the only time they’re truly competitive. A quarter of all their goals have come against us

They’re the only team to lose more than we have, they’re the only team to play as many long balls as we do (which everyone complains about Neil for) and they are bottom of the league with 6 wins. I don’t get why people want to bring their manager here

If he hadn’t played for north end it wouldn’t even be suggested
I’ve seen them a couple of times on TV this year and last year aswell as against us, admittedly it’s not a lot to form an opinion off but that goes for pretty much any manager we’d appoint.

The long ball thing I don’t really get, they play through the channels but there’s a purpose, it’s not hit and hope and their players movement is actually really good.

We constantly hear about Neils restraints and what he has to fight against, but this applies to Ainsworth more than any manager in the league.

Like I said he’s not my first choice, but it could be a stroke of genius. Managers have a sell by date and I’d rather we appoint someone who appears to be on an upward curve. Callum Davidson would be another as Durutti suggested.

I’m not sure Gareth Ainsworth would be my first choice but I certainly think he’d struggle to be worse than Neil (and the prospect of a ‘breath of fresh air’ as manager is quite alluring, even if it’s not a good rationale for making the decision). What he’s done with Wycombe is quite remarkable, far more so than what Alex Neil did with Norwich. Although it’s legitimate to ask ‘Wycombe are 24th in the league, why would we want him?’ I think it’s probably also fair to say that there isn’t a manager in the world who would likely have Wycombe any higher than they are given their overall infrastructure, squad and budgets. The difference for me is that there are probably a great many managers who could have North End performing better than we are with the squad we’ve got.

Not sure why so many seem to be against Ainsworth, they (Wycombe) out Footballed us today and so presumably with (so called) better Players he would play the same way as they did today, which certainly wasnt unpleasant to watch.
Out footballed is a massive stretch.

They just wanted it more...

I’m not sure Gareth Ainsworth would be my first choice but I certainly think he’d struggle to be worse than Neil (and the prospect of a ‘breath of fresh air’ as manager is quite alluring, even if it’s not a good rationale for making the decision). What he’s done with Wycombe is quite remarkable, far more so than what Alex Neil did with Norwich. Although it’s legitimate to ask ‘Wycombe are 24th in the league, why would we want him?’ I think it’s probably also fair to say that there isn’t a manager in the world who would likely have Wycombe any higher than they are given their overall infrastructure, squad and budgets. The difference for me is that there are probably a great many managers who could have North End performing better than we are with the squad we’ve got.
Why? Because he is passionate about football and North End, remember that? Passion?

I can’t see AN turning this around now, so a fresh start would probably be best for both sides.

Rarely have I seen a north end side look so disorganised, demotivated and unsure about what they’re supposed to be doing. I’m sure AN wants to fix it, but he doesn’t know how to. Odd team selections, too much emphasis on adapting to suit the opposition and inconsistent tactics are just making it worse. Time to go, sadly.

Come on lets get Ainsworth out of our heads. He isn't going to improve us. Yes Wycombe have looked very good in the two matches against us but jesus christ that isn't hard. If you watched wycombe's other matches against sides who actually want to beat them then I can guarantee you wouldn't want Ainsworth here. It's like when ben pringle come here - played class against us so we signed him. Wycombe were class against us so we want their manager. Not for me.

Done well at wycombe but I want a manager who actually gets his teams to play football on the floor. I am fed up of seeing balls being launched up top to ched, riis and maguire whose heading isn't their strong point.

I’ve seen them a couple of times on TV this year and last year aswell as against us, admittedly it’s not a lot to form an opinion off but that goes for pretty much any manager we’d appoint.

The long ball thing I don’t really get, they play through the channels but there’s a purpose, it’s not hit and hope and their players movement is actually really good.

We constantly hear about Neils restraints and what he has to fight against, but this applies to Ainsworth more than any manager in the league.

Like I said he’s not my first choice, but it could be a stroke of genius. Managers have a sell by date and I’d rather we appoint someone who appears to be on an upward curve. Callum Davidson would be another as Durutti suggested.

To be fair I think people would be surprised how many would apply for the Preston job. Maybe an eddie howe or chris wilder could apply. I don't want ainsworth. I think his style of football is shocking.

When we got Grayson I though big appointment. Same for AN (at the time. )

Talking of passion, can anyone tell me who that bored looking guy in the tracksuit I keep seeing slouching around with his hands in his pockets near the touchline at pne matches is . The one who looks like he can't be arsed , would rather be somewhere else and is clearly fed up with watching that crap on the field.

Talking of passion, can anyone tell me who that bored looking guy in the tracksuit I keep seeing slouching around with his hands in his pockets near the touchline at pne matches is . The one who looks like he can't be arsed , would rather be somewhere else and is clearly fed up with watching that crap on the field.
Riis?

I’ve always backed AN and was firmly in the ‘but who else could come in and do better’ camp , until yesterday that is. It was so tactically poor and had the feeling of a manager who’s run out of ideas. I don’t for one minute think he’s trying to lose on purpose to get sacked or has lost the dressing room, however I just think a change would be best now for all concerned. I’d do it now to give whoever comes in chance to bed in before next season

I’ve always backed AN and was firmly in the ‘but who else could come in and do better’ camp , until yesterday that is. It was so tactically poor and had the feeling of a manager who’s run out of ideas. I don’t for one minute think he’s trying to lose on purpose to get sacked or has lost the dressing room, however I just think a change would be best now for all concerned. I’d do it now to give whoever comes in chance to bed in before next season
Not really any point there will probably be a completely different team next season.

To be fair I think people would be surprised how many would apply for the Preston job
Agree with this. We’re an attractive proposition who’s current manager has been here 4 years, that stability and the decent wages we now pay will mean we should have a good few options to pick from, should we not headhunt another manager.

Bayliss?