PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Capital punishment

Do you agree with Capital Punishment?

• Yes

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • Yes- but only in exceptional circumstances

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters
Just on the topic of Jury Duty, it made me laugh how people were turning up in their best suits thinking that they’d be picked on how they looked. I went smartly dressed for the first couple of days before thinking i Just want to be comfy, so I wore my trackies for the rest of the time😂

As Ando said, you can be sat there, bored stiff for days, before you get a case, that’s if you get one.

I had to wait until the end of Wednesday of the first week before I was picked. That trial finished on the Tuesday Morning and I was picked again later that day.
I did it 2017, it started the day of the Manchester Arena bomb. Within the first hour I got picked for a 3 week fraud case. Out of the 3 weeks I was only in court on 7 days with strict instructions from the judge not to go to work.

It was one of the most interesting things I've ever done and we had some proper fall outs trying to convince some of the other jurors of his obvious guilt.

The one jury duty I had was an aggravated burglary crime. I can only think the defendent was advised wrongly by his solicitor as his guilt was obvious from the first 30 mins of his 3 day trial.

When we all retired as a jury we felt guilty ourselves as we all just agreed his guilt immediately.

We got some cards out to stretch it for a while to make the bastard sweat a little.

Listening to his precons before sentencing was an experience in itself.

The one jury duty I had was an aggravated burglary crime. I can only think the defendent was advised wrongly by his solicitor as his guilt was obvious from the first 30 mins of his 3 day trial.

When we all retired as a jury we felt guilty ourselves as we all just agreed his guilt immediately.

We got some cards out to stretch it for a while to make the bastard sweat a little.

Two years !!!!

For ONCE I agree

I was on one of those too
Or rather a Drink Drive offence, and not just a few over either
We had to spend hours listening to his Lawyer pleading that because he had run off and hidden behind a hedge, he wasn't breathalyses at the scene, so he shouldn't have had a blood test at the station
It took a bit longer than a few minutes has we had a couple of ‘bleeding hearts’ on the jury

We eventually posed the question ‘’so we let him off and He kills one of your kids next week’’ eh

After a few minutes the rapidly agreed with the rest of us

And yes on sentencing he had a few ‘previous’ as well

Punishment?
XX years removed from society with most of your rights and life’s general enjoyments removed.
Or
An end to your life - leaving effectively nothing.

where I struggle is the American system, years of not decades of appeal after appeal which in some cases ends up being a life sentence
But is it really punishment Edgy ??

What sticks in my throat is that some of the criminals have a better life than innocent people on the outside....

They get a nice bed every night, they get fed and watered, they get access to playstations and TV’s.... I don’t really see that as punishment.

What sticks in my throat is that some of the criminals have a better life than innocent people on the outside....

They get a nice bed every night, they get fed and watered, they get access to playstations and TV’s.... I don’t really see that as punishment.
urban myth.

Privileges have to be earned, they arent just a right.

I have found this lockdown very hard but have always had the pleasure of my loved ones being around me or at the other end of a video call.

As a former prison visitor at HMP Preston I can assure you the meals the inmates get are sustainance level, nothing more.

Oh and imagine how it feels having a shit in front of 2 other inmates or come to that them doing the same whilst in a room smaller than a single bedroom.

They learn to adapt, yes, to make the most of what they have, the human spirit is resilient, but little things we all take for granted like Beer, even a cola from a fridge just dont happen.

As for excercise, a walk around the yard for an hour or so and then banged up again until the next meal time.

urban myth.

Privileges have to be earned, they arent just a right.

I have found this lockdown very hard but have always had the pleasure of my loved ones being around me or at the other end of a video call.

As a former prison visitor at HMP Preston I can assure you the meals the inmates get are sustainance level, nothing more.

Oh and imagine how it feels having a shit in front of 2 other inmates or come to that them doing the same whilst in a room smaller than a single bedroom.

They learn to adapt, yes, to make the most of what they have, the human spirit is resilient, but little things we all take for granted like Beer, even a cola from a fridge just dont happen.

As for excercise, a walk around the yard for an hour or so and then banged up again until the next meal time.
Former prison visitor
Good on you

Whenever this topic comes up I'm reminded of this clip, I'll never tire of watching Ian Hislop take the piss out of Priti Patel, she really is dense 😂

What an exceptionally hopeless person she is
i am so passionate about gender bias and equalit, especially seeing more women with senior roles
she doesn’t help the cause at all

I don't agree with capital punishment, even though not a SINGLE person who has been executed has EVER gone on to commit further crimes. Ever.

Whenever this topic comes up I'm reminded of this clip, I'll never tire of watching Ian Hislop take the piss out of Priti Patel, she really is dense 😂

She would make an amazing character on Little Britain.

Have you ever been in a prison? I went to a high security prison (as a visitor!) and yes, they had clean beds, a gym and basic recreational facilities but the whole atmosphere was horrible. Cages everywhere and everything was public, prisoners couldn't even have a shit in private. I couldn't wait to get out of the place. and I only had an afternoon to put up with it.