PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Car insurance

plus the fact repairers and main dealers massivley over charge for parts and repairs knowing that most are paid for by insurance companies.
Agree, absolutely this, certainly as a contributory factor. There is a lot wrong within the system and things that need tightening up.
We have an example recently.
Just over 2 years ago, someone (looked like a white Van probably) scraped (crashed is too strong a word) all down the side of the passenger side of the car, presumably when making a right turn. We had no idea who did it so had to pay for it ourself, booked it in for the next week, they had it 3 days, gave us a little run around and charged us £645.
October just gone School Bus scrapes down the side of the drivers side, we knew who did it, so went through insurance, no real damage (certainly no worse than the previous incident) just a rub down and respray, had to go to a certain Garage in Poulton Le Fylde.
They had it for 3 Months and for 3 Months we had a hire Car through Enterprise.
How much would that have cost the other insurer?
i shudder to think.
Repairers making money by holding onto it for way longer than needed and presumably with a link up to Enterprise re 'commissions'.
A personal example but i reckon representative of why insurance is getting ridiculously high, there is rot in the system.

Oh and we had to take it back in half way through to be checked over, funnily enough it needed 2 new tyres that where supposed to be our fault (ha) but the £70 excess i paid to cover any 'damages' while we drove it, covered that (hmmm).

One of my lads past his test and got a car just over 12 months ago.
20 plate Fiesta and the insurance was about 3k a year. Ridiculous but OK, first time driver and 19 yrs old at the time.
12 months later, 20 years old, no claims speeding fines.....nothing.
Serving police officer.
Been quoted £3,700 by his existing insurers.
Fuckin robbing bastards. How can they even start to make a case for increasing the insurance at all, never mind by £700.00.
They should be fuckin ashamed.
Wankers!!!
Disgraceful….. 23% uplift is taking the piss.

I trust that you are shopping around ??

My car was hit by a stupid cunt just over 12 months ago. I had a hire car for 4 weeks before the insurance approved bodywork repair place had even looked at my car. A further week went by before they told me they couldn't find the required body panels in the UK.

A further week of toing and frowing went by and I got them to pay me a figure of xxxx that they said it would cost to repair and my car back. I took my car to an independent body shop and the parts I sourced myself. They repaired the car at a cost of 25% of the amount the insurance approved bodywork place paid me and I pocketed the difference. Plus 6 weeks of them paying for my hire car.
We took a car in as a part exchange a few years ago that was a cat D write off, it turned out that it ended up being written off as it had sat at the bodyshop for so long the total cost of the hire car given to the cars owners exceed their damaged cars value, their car only needed a boot lid as something had fallen onto it and dented it.

plus the fact repairers and main dealers massivley over charge for parts and repairs knowing that most are paid for by insurance companies.

They always have done. Just as there have always been fraudsters. Neither excuse therefore explains why all of a sudden this year, the premia have gone through the roof. And why shopping around is making little difference this time. Unless its the first time youve tested your premium level.

Repair costs are insignificant compared to the costs for (alleged) personal injury claims (whiplash etc). Insurance companies have teams investigating fraudulent claims but there success is somewhat limited. No wish to offend anyone, but Preston and in particular the Calon Estate used to be a national hotspot pre pandemic.

Just had my renewal quote through.

Last year: £367
This year: £503

9 years no claim, not a single accident.

Thieving, robbing, gutless twats. Don't try to convince me otherwise!

It's only going to result in more car drivers skipping insurance to get to work to pay for the bottom of their Maslows which is going to feed back into higher insurance costs.
Need less regulation imo.

One theory as to why Car insurance has gone up by such a wedge is that most car insurance companies are just part of the whole insurance industry .
There has been a lot of building damage , due to flooding in the UK lately, and the one is being used to subsidise / prop-up the losses in the other.

One theory as to why Car insurance has gone up by such a wedge is that most car insurance companies are just part of the whole insurance industry .
There has been a lot of building damage , due to flooding in the UK lately, and the one is being used to subsidise / prop-up the losses share prices in the other.

There has been a lot of building damage , due to flooding in the UK lately, and the one is being used to subsidise / prop-up the losses in the other.

so true, for example, Euro Garages bought Asda from Walmart expecting to service the debt through Asda profits, Asda cannot service this debt and need the support of EG petrol stations (now being branded Asda Express) to cover this.

The repair train adds so much to the cost of repairs and you will find insurers simply "writing car off" these days as it's quicker and easier to complete and settle, your car can sit in an approved repairer for months waiting for a space, waiting for parts etc etc, hire car (again a rip off) funded by the insurers (us) at 5-10 times the rate you would pay walking into Enterprise for other daily rental companies to simply hire a car ( I know this as recently I supplied a local guy with a 4x4 at £600 per month where Enterprise had agreed a rate of £225 per day for a similar vehicle), always shop round not immediately accepting your auto renewal from your current insurer.