PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Cardiff City v PNE -10/02/24 - KO:3PM - Championship

Losing Rogers is a big blow, and Matt Crooks is off to the US, another key player for them. We shouldn't be facing them or Hull with any fear.

Hull are absolutely carried by Philogene, that Carvalho who everyone was fawning over has had a very average start.
Boro are a strange team this year. They’ve basically kept the same style they had last year but with completely different inferior players. They play the same suicidal football as the big boys but have no pace to actually exploit teams being sloppy in the press. So they end up losing the ball high up the pitch and getting countered themselves

If Lowe has done his homework, we’ll press them the same way we did Ipswich because that’s where you’ll find success. Go man for man and let one of their defensive mids have all of the ball. Would rotate Ossy and Riis and just let him have his fun for 60 minutes. Would be a good game to get Whatmough back in again because aside from Forss, their forward options atm are nothing special

Losing Rogers is a big blow, and Matt Crooks is off to the US, another key player for them. We shouldn't be facing them or Hull with any fear.

Hull are absolutely carried by Philogene, that Carvalho who everyone was fawning over has had a very average start.

Agree with this. They created next to nothing again today.

Their xG in the last 3 games has been a combined 1.12. I know that xG doesn’t mean everything but on paper they should be creating way more than they currently are.

After their accounts came out this week, a lot of Hull fans are under the impression its shit or bust in relation to promotion,

Playing under a bit of extra pressure?

Boro are a strange team this year. They’ve basically kept the same style they had last year but with completely different inferior players. They play the same suicidal football as the big boys but have no pace to actually exploit teams being sloppy in the press. So they end up losing the ball high up the pitch and getting countered themselves

If Lowe has done his homework, we’ll press them the same way we did Ipswich because that’s where you’ll find success. Go man for man and let one of their defensive mids have all of the ball. Would rotate Ossy and Riis and just let him have his fun for 60 minutes. Would be a good game to get Whatmough back in again because aside from Forss, their forward options atm are nothing special
Another team who play out from the back . Like Ipswich . I would be more than happy if they did that on our pitch . Bobbling all over the place .

Another team who play out from the back . Like Ipswich . I would be more than happy if they did that on our pitch . Bobbling all over the place .
Lol at the boro defenders bobbling. Like Mr Blobby I assume?
It's not gonna happen. We'll lose. Probably heavily.

30 minutes of pap like at Millwall 15 good minutes killed game off in second period never looked like losing
Coach set off at 7.30 arrived at 12.15 next time we go can they set even earlier so I can go round Sophia Gardens

What has returned for me is feeling of optimism before we play. Haven't had it for a while. We aren't the finished article yet. Providing we keep Keane, Riis, Miller and Mads fit then who knows what might happen.

Might as well give it a go each game from now on

Hope Sir Bradley of The Potts and the skipper are ok for midweek.

Got round to watching the highlights and some dodgy defending by us in first half could have caused us a problem but once settled some good football…the pass from Mads to Riis in second half when he missed was fantastic wot a great ball he played into him….don’t think Riis is 100 % yet but once he is and with Mads behind him and Millar on left we could have a lethal attack. Would be great if we had a Millar on the right aswell…hopefully next season.

Got round to watching the highlights and some dodgy defending by us in first half could have caused us a problem but once settled some good football…the pass from Mads to Riis in second half when he missed was fantastic wot a great ball he played into him….don’t think Riis is 100 % yet but once he is and with Mads behind him and Millar on left we could have a lethal attack. Would be great if we had a Millar on the right aswell…hopefully next season.

Have to say that 2 of our defenders have been causing us problems in recent weeks.

I think our central midfield and striker options are the best we’ve had in years. Sort out the wing backs and central defence and we’ll have a very very decent team.

Mads plays three really great through balls on this video. The one putting Riis through in the second half probably being the best of the three (though it was a really nice pass to Whiteman). Two other comments:

What's Keane doing with the back of his socks ? Maybe his calf muscles are just too big! I've not noticed this before (see celebration of the first goal).
And with regard to that first goal, I watched Potts supporting the attack. Excellent enthusiasm and pace to break forward. Then I think cleverly he slows at the right time to be in a good position as Riis cuts in. But then as Riis is about to pull the trigger, if it were me, I'd be absolutely on my toes, ready to react to a rebounds. Potts appears to stop and go very flat footed though - which could have cost him a crucial split second if it had broken in his direction. Maybe he just knew Riis wouldn't miss!

Mads plays three really great through balls on this video. The one putting Riis through in the second half probably being the best of the three (though it was a really nice pass to Whiteman). Two other comments:

What's Keane doing with the back of his socks ? Maybe his calf muscles are just too big! I've not noticed this before (see celebration of the first goal).
And with regard to that first goal, I watched Potts supporting the attack. Excellent enthusiasm and pace to break forward. Then I think cleverly he slows at the right time to be in a good position as Riis cuts in. But then as Riis is about to pull the trigger, if it were me, I'd be absolutely on my toes, ready to react to a rebounds. Potts appears to stop and go very flat footed though - which could have cost him a crucial split second if it had broken in his direction. Maybe he just knew Riis wouldn't miss!

A lot of footballers do this nowadays. Apparently it’s to reduce swelling in the muscle as the game goes on, and improve the blood flow to stop cramp happening as easily

A lot of footballers do this nowadays. Apparently it’s to reduce swelling in the muscle as the game goes on, and improve the blood flow to stop cramp happening as easily

I guess someone has evidence for that. And yet in other sports like long distance running the polar opposite is true, with elite runners using compression socks in order to try to achieve pretty much the same thing!

1707676466359.png

I guess someone has evidence for that. And yet in other sports like long distance running the polar opposite is true, with elite runners using compression socks in order to try to achieve pretty much the same thing!

View attachment 19293
Presumably to do with the constant periods of muscle relaxation involved in football followed by sudden fast contraction when sprinting

Whereas long distance runners have a constant steady contraction period

Whereas long distance runners have a constant steady contraction period
For the good runners that isn't true, the trick these days is break the competition before they break you which means constant changes of pace, and hence contraction periods.