PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Cardiff City v PNE -10/02/24 - KO:3PM - Championship

About the blue card suggestion by the IFAB, not many in favour of this idea. I heard someone on the radio with a novel idea today, I thought it would be a decent punishment instead of a card. The bloke was on about matches when he played schoolboy football, and the gym teacher punished bad play/fouls etc with 5/6 laps of the pitch as punishment.

Could be good instead of a second yellow, 6 laps of the pitch for the guilty player, then if that didn't work, next foul or punishment would be another card, resulting in a sending off.

It's just IFAB coming up with something to justify its existence. There are already sanctions in place for the offences that they are talking about introducing it for.
All they have to do is apply the laws as they are written. Too many players are allowed to show dissent continually with no sanction, allowed to delay restarts without being spoken to and repeatedly make petty fouls. All those offences should result in a caution but rarely are, start showing the yellow card and they’d have no choice but to stop.

I’d also like goalkeepers to be penalised for holding the ball too long. They’re allowed 6 seconds by the laws of the game, 16 seconds isn’t uncommon - and stop them doing the ludicrous falling to the floor with the ball in the last few minutes and lying there like they’re clutching a precious treasure.

All they have to do is apply the laws as they are written. Too many players are allowed to show dissent continually with no sanction, allowed to delay restarts without being spoken to and repeatedly make petty fouls. All those offences should result in a caution but rarely are, start showing the yellow card and they’d have no choice but to stop.

I’d also like goalkeepers to be penalised for holding the ball too long. They’re allowed 6 seconds by the laws of the game, 16 seconds isn’t uncommon - and stop them doing the ludicrous falling to the floor with the ball in the last few minutes and lying there like they’re clutching a precious treasure.
The clutching the ball thing really irritates me, it’s wasting time and should be punished by a card !!

About the blue card suggestion by the IFAB, not many in favour of this idea. I heard someone on the radio with a novel idea today, I thought it would be a decent punishment instead of a card. The bloke was on about matches when he played schoolboy football, and the gym teacher punished bad play/fouls etc with 5/6 laps of the pitch as punishment.

Could be good instead of a second yellow, 6 laps of the pitch for the guilty player, then if that didn't work, next foul or punishment would be another card, resulting in a sending off.

I distinctly remember getting sent for a lap of the field about 35 years ago for a somewhat cynical foul.

Think our gym teacher knew that six laps would have killed me.

How was Storey in there!
You score in the high 7s just for winning unchallenged headers.
That’s how. We were top for aerial duels won and because not a single defender scored this gameweek (which is usually how the defenders are chosen for TOTW), Storey ended up ranking as one of the highest. Daft system

We could have a nice green card for anyone who looks at the ref funny and a nice shade of puce for anyone who enters the pitch at Deepdale with orange boots, the worry is though, the pitch may be a bit big when they are down to five a side with all the sendings off. 🤣

Shirt Pulling / Grappling / Arms Tightly Around The Body in the box at Set Pieces.

The Ref see's it, has a word then they continue and the Ref does nothing. Grinds my gears.

So many obvious penalty box shirt pulls the weekend just gone and VAR does nothing yet anywhere else on the pitch ie a breakaway and it is an automatic Yellow Card.

Should be a penalty every time, if it results in 10 penalties per match, then so be it until the players see sense.

The only possible benefit I can think of for a blue card / sin bin is that the player / team gets punished immediately. Squad sizes for the top teams are that big that the players don’t care about taking a yellow for the team and arguably they don’t get punished.

Shirt Pulling / Grappling / Arms Tightly Around The Body in the box at Set Pieces.

The Ref see's it, has a word then they continue and the Ref does nothing. Grinds my gears.

So many obvious penalty box shirt pulls the weekend just gone and VAR does nothing yet anywhere else on the pitch ie a breakaway and it is an automatic Yellow Card.

Should be a penalty every time, if it results in 10 penalties per match, then so be it until the players see sense.
Totally agree with this JD……

And they should stop blowing their whistle before the corner kick or whatever to warn them. Let what is happening develop and take the necessary action once the ball in play.

The 14 man side will certainly slow the set pieces down in rugby.

Will the footy ref add on wasted time to the 10 minutes or add on time to the end of the half??

If it cuts out dissent and/or managed to reduce red cards then great but footy seems to be struggling with new laws and the implementation of them these days….
I think a few years ago I heard it stated that you could expect to ship 7 or 9 points when a man down in rugby. But my impression is that with more sin bins now (for better or worse, depending on your point of view) teams have made more effort to make plans to deal with it better and it doesn't seem to make a massive difference any more. e.g. England managed to win that one v Argentina in the World Cup down to 14 for virtually the whole game. I don't think it hurts the spectacle particularly but it does change the nature of the game.

In football I think we'd obviously see a fair bit of slowing down and bus-parking which might not work out as well.

On dissent more widely they could deal with it at a stroke by actually punishing it properly at the time. Disrespect the ref and you get a yellow. It would be a shitshow for a few weeks as players adjusted but hand out a few suspensions and they'd soon learn. But the authorities don't have the bollocks to do it properly.

Totally agree its either a penalty or a free kick for the defence. When you start getting scorelines like 13-8 the coaches will soon put a stop to it. I would also award a foul throw against ant player who does not take a throw in roughly where the ball crossed the line.