PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Carers Allowance.

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Weve touched on this in other threads so I felt it needed a dedicated thread of its own.

Not many things shock me but I was knocked sideways by finding out that a carer will only receive a paltry £67.60 a week for spending a minimum of 35 hours caring for a needy relative.

Also if you still have the energy to do another job earn a single penny over £128 a week and you lose the lot.

I saw this twitter thread which again shocked me.

Yes its true. I had the allowance looking after my Mum, my part time job extended my hours and i went over the limit by about £15 a week. So cancelled my carers allowance so i didnt get in the shit. BTW am still mums carer.

Yes its true. I had the allowance looking after my Mum, my part time job extended my hours and i went over the limit by about £15 a week. So cancelled my carers allowance so i didnt get in the shit. BTW am still mums carer.
Its absolutely appalling.

Just how much money do you carers save us, as a country?

If your mum, for example, went into a care home just how much would that cost the state?

I'm on Carer's Allowance, while I do appreciate the money, it is the only 'income' I get and am likely to get for a long time because of the dynamics of life at home.
The £67.60 I receive only came after a process that involved jumping about all sorts of hurdles and hoops.

When you break it down, I get £9.66 a day, when a person in healthcare at a band 2-3 gets that just for an hour's worth of caring for an individual.

Like I say, I appreciate the benefits system, for all it's problems, it is an amazing thing to have when it works. I do however wonder whether the amount could be bumped up, even to £90 a week.

Such a derisory sum given the time & energy needed to provide care at least 37 hours a week for another person.

Just imagine the pressure and costs on hospitals & social services if Carers stopped ‘caring’

i could go on for longer about how much this hacks me off but as a former carer of someone who is no longer with us it will open up old wounds.

Such a derisory sum given the time & energy needed to provide care at least 37 hours a week for another person.

Just imagine the pressure and costs on hospitals & social services if Carers stopped ‘caring’

i could go on for longer about how much this hacks me off but as a former carer of someone who is no longer with us it will open up old wounds.
Keep well my friend.

Not forgetting the fact that people on State Pension can be entitled to CA but aren’t paid it because of their overlapping State Pension. It can act as a gateway to other benefits and allowances but it’s an utter scandal.

Scotland have been paying an extra £231.40 every 6 months, yet another example of a devolved nation being more generous with pensions and benefits.

Incidentally, various expenses can be deducted from your earnings so you might still be entitled even if your gross earnings are over the limit.

Not forgetting the ultra generous, mind blowing £10 Xmas bonus paid on the 1st Monday in December 💷💷💷💷💷

And if you're a student, either at school or doing a University degree, our computer will say a big fat "NOOOOO" to your claim. If you are at college or any other educational course, we'll want to put your tutor to the trouble of completing a form, telling us exactly how many hours you are studying both in and out the classroom. If it totals 21 hours or more, then it's "hard cheese matey", there are no dollars coming your way.

Oh, and if you happen to be looking after a terminally ill person, your claim will no longer be fast-tracked like it used to be. After 6 weeks of wondering what the hell is happening with your claim, fully expect to telephone us and wait in a queue for 45 minutes to ask us to hurry up. That's if you're not cut off.

As you can tell, I don't like my job very much 😤🤦‍♂️

Weve touched on this in other threads so I felt it needed a dedicated thread of its own.

Not many things shock me but I was knocked sideways by finding out that a carer will only receive a paltry £67.60 a week for spending a minimum of 35 hours caring for a needy relative.

Also if you still have the energy to do another job earn a single penny over £128 a week and you lose the lot.

I saw this twitter thread which again shocked me.

I'm on Carer's Allowance, while I do appreciate the money, it is the only 'income' I get and am likely to get for a long time because of the dynamics of life at home.
The £67.60 I receive only came after a process that involved jumping about all sorts of hurdles and hoops.

When you break it down, I get £9.66 a day, when a person in healthcare at a band 2-3 gets that just for an hour's worth of caring for an individual.

Like I say, I appreciate the benefits system, for all it's problems, it is an amazing thing to have when it works. I do however wonder whether the amount could be bumped up, even to £90 a week.

Dunno where the princely sum of 69 quid comes from but I got 49... And then ssp ( 90 quid) for 5 months afterwards, lost my job etc.. Start a poorly paid job on Monday but for decent people so I'm happy.... 40 years none stop of paying NI........ And I'd do it all again and again....Fuck privatisation.

Dunno where the princely sum of 69 quid comes from but I got 49... And then ssp ( 90 quid) for 5 months afterwards, lost my job etc.. Start a poorly paid job on Monday but for decent people so I'm happy.... 40 years none stop of paying NI........ And I'd do it all again and again....Fuck privatisation.
Everyone gets the same rate - unless they get another benefit which can reduce the amount.

Glad you’ve got something sorted!

Everyone gets the same rate - unless they get another benefit which can reduce the amount.

Glad you’ve got something sorted!
Or maybe if you're paying back deductions for a crisis loan etc, or having Child maintenance payments taken off.

Not forgetting the ultra generous, mind blowing £10 Xmas bonus paid on the 1st Monday in December 💷💷💷💷💷

And if you're a student, either at school or doing a University degree, our computer will say a big fat "NOOOOO" to your claim. If you are at college or any other educational course, we'll want to put your tutor to the trouble of completing a form, telling us exactly how many hours you are studying both in and out the classroom. If it totals 21 hours or more, then it's "hard cheese matey", there are no dollars coming your way.

Oh, and if you happen to be looking after a terminally ill person, your claim will no longer be fast-tracked like it used to be. After 6 weeks of wondering what the hell is happening with your claim, fully expect to telephone us and wait in a queue for 45 minutes to ask us to hurry up. That's if you're not cut off.

As you can tell, I don't like my job very much 😤🤦‍♂️

I fell foul of this despite only being timetables for lectures/seminars for 14 hours per week - will remote studying have an impact on claims going forward or is it pretty much a case of if the uni/college classes the course as ‘full-time’ it’s a no?

I fell foul of this despite only being timetables for lectures/seminars for 14 hours per week - will remote studying have an impact on claims going forward or is it pretty much a case of if the uni/college classes the course as ‘full-time’ it’s a no?
With education, its not simply your lecture / seminar time that is taken into account. We also look at your "expected" study time outside of the institution (essays, dissertations, placements etc). And even then, it's not the number of hours you actually spend on private study - it is the number of hours a student is "expected" to study in order to successfully complete their course.

So, if Joe Bloggs says he only does 2 hours per week private study, but the educational establishment says he should be private studying for 10 hours per week, then it is the 10 hours we take into account - and add that on to the hours of study in the classroom setting 👍

What I should also add is that a 3 year degree course is automatically treated as being "full time". If we receive such a claim, we'd disallow it straight away without any further enquiries being made. It's the same with school children, even when they turn 16. They are treated as being in Full Time Education until the last Friday in June and any claim would be automatically disallowed.