Cats

222Mark

Serial killer of note
Staff member
Patron
Just to note that it is national cat day today. Since Bettys just pilfered all the leftover chicken and stuffing off the bench in the time it took me to take out the bin on the front lawn, if she thinks Im going to give her an additional treat, she can sod off. Every day is Betty day seemingly.
Ha ha, same at our house, every day is national cat day 😄

Portishead

Manager
Any advice from anyone on experience of treatment of diabetes in their cat would be welcomed. Currently have an ailing Betty thats been on insulin for about 2 weeks now. Concerned about longer term prospects and cost implications. Cheers.

222Mark

Serial killer of note
Staff member
Patron
Any advice from anyone on experience of treatment of diabetes in their cat would be welcomed. Currently have an ailing Betty thats been on insulin for about 2 weeks now. Concerned about longer term prospects and cost implications. Cheers.
The in laws had a diabetic cat for years, poor thing was misdiagnosed for quite some time and was treated for salt crystals in his urine, but after some perseverance he was eventually put on the right path medically and he lived for many years.
The diet and regime where very strict, he was only fed Science Diet cat food and he was injected with insulin twice a day, he wasn't allowed to eat anything else, no titbits or anything, just the recommended diet. I think the cost back then was around £40 per month for insulin and syringes( but I guess that varies on the vets). He lived well for about 8 years from diagnoses until old age took him.

Hope Betty is well and under the right veterinary care she'll be around for many more years to come.

Portishead

Manager
The in laws had a diabetic cat for years, poor thing was misdiagnosed for quite some time and was treated for salt crystals in his urine, but after some perseverance he was eventually put on the right path medically and he lived for many years.
The diet and regime where very strict, he was only fed Science Diet cat food and he was injected with insulin twice a day, he wasn't allowed to eat anything else, no titbits or anything, just the recommended diet. I think the cost back then was around £40 per month for insulin and syringes( but I guess that varies on the vets). He lived well for about 8 years from diagnoses until old age took him.

Hope Betty is well and under the right veterinary care she'll be around for many more years to come.

Thanks a lot for that. Reassuring. Trying to get the right Insulin dose at the moment. Shes on special food so hopefully she'll respond soon enough. Wife doesnt like needles unfortunately so at the moment my day is sorted.