PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Cats

justinr73

Patron
Whilst I've always been fascinated with big cats at the zoo, I never thought I'd have my own feline friend.

However, I allowed myself to be persuaded and ended up with a silver british shorthair tabby kitten called Ivy last summer.

She's great!

Anyone else similarly inclined?

We've a black and white house cat that's as soft as fook and just does bugger all but eat, sleep and a bit of excercise when prompted.

Parents have a Norwegian Forrest cat that's a horrible fecker that will hardly let you get near it without walloping you or spitting at you...But they love it so ?

Jack Daniels has mentioned his cats previously so you might get a bit more from him

have 2 desert cats from the UAE.
one is blind but you'd never know....

causing me a problem at the moment though a one is spraying all over the house!

has anyone had to deal with spraying problems and if so how did they solve it?

preferably I'm looking for a solution. without having to kill the cat!

Glad that you are enjoying your new companion, Justin.

We have 18 cats in total, although a few live outside.

Always difficult to stop spraying, Deany - it is usually related to a particular cause of stress. If you can isolate and deal with that, it stops the problem. Easier said than done, though.

have 2 desert cats from the UAE.
one is blind but you'd never know....

causing me a problem at the moment though a one is spraying all over the house!

has anyone had to deal with spraying problems and if so how did they solve it?

preferably I'm looking for a solution. without having to kill the cat!
re spraying. Cut its bollocks off.

They kill an estimated 55 million wild birds in the UK alone. Never mind all the other kinds of creatures they torture without eating.

Glad that you are enjoying your new companion, Justin.

We have 18 cats in total, although a few live outside.

Always difficult to stop spraying, Deany - it is usually related to a particular cause of stress. If you can isolate and deal with that, it stops the problem. Easier said than done, though.

Greece?... 18 cats?........ You're farming and eating them aren't you?

They kill an estimated 55 million wild birds in the UK alone. Never mind all the other kinds of creatures they torture without eating.

Our doesn't.... It won't go further that 10 feet from the back door then it's had enough and comes back in for a kip.

re spraying. Cut its bollocks off.

already had the snip (the cat not me).
he didn't spray for years it only started fairly recently.
nightmare as the house whiffs....

as Sepp said I'm trying to isolate the cause but I ain't having much joy figuring that out.

18 cats Sepp?
must cost a fortune in food bills!

I took several in off the street during my time overseas. sadly the others are no longer with us.

it's hard as an animal lover to turn a blind eye and leave them to suffer. I imagine you feel the same and that's how you ended up with so many!

I paid 3 grand to bring 3 desert cats back with me when I moved home. I couldn't leave them to go back to the street!

Last edited:

I had a cat once that didn't bother with the normal catch. The occasional small rodent but it once tried to get a live seagull through the catflap and on another occasion, darted past the living room and into the downstairs WC. I went to investigate, the cat shot out and sat on the stairs looking at the toilet door. I looked in the toilet and there was a fuckin stoat in there. Had to get a vet in with a fishing net to catch it.

already had the snip (the cat not me).
he didn't spray for years it only started fairly recently.
nightmare as the house whiffs....

as Sepp said I'm trying to isolate the cause but I ain't having much joy figuring that out.

18 cats Sepp?
must cost a fortune in food bills!

I took several in off the street during my time overseas. sadly the others are no longer with us.

it's hard as an animal lover to turn a blind eye and leave them to suffer. I imagine you feel the same and that's how you ended up with so many!

I paid 3 grand to bring 3 desert cats back with me when I moved home. I couldn't leave them to go back to the street!

It does cost a bit - about 150 Euros a month. Luckily, veterinary care is very cheap in comparison to the UK.

There are very few animal charities here, so we ended up taking in the waifs and strays. We had 25 at one point, but it is a hard country here and the attrition rate is high!

It does cost a bit - about 150 Euros a month. Luckily, veterinary care is very cheap in comparison to the UK.

There are very few animal charities here, so we ended up taking in the waifs and strays. We had 25 at one point, but it is a hard country here and the attrition rate is high!

Ay. I can relate.
so many cats and dogs I saw die in front of my eyes in the UAE. horrible to see.

On a happier note it's not just us westerners that care for animals.
I once remember going to the local shop to buy cat food. there was an Arab guy in front of me in the queue in all his "dish dash" gear buying shit loads of cat food.

the Filipino checkout girl asked him how many cats he had. he said he had over a hundred!

the muslim leaders were getting better there with animal care in the run up to me leaving.

the sheikh of Sharjah invested a lot into animal rescue centres. Dubai was already pretty good at it and RAK was also decent.

I ended up near RAK in the last couple of years over there and they helped me in sorting out my cats and to get them prepared for travelling to the UK.

Last edited: