PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Champions League /Europa League

Walker’s asset is his pace. Apart from that he is pretty average defensively.

James is a quality player.

Personally trippier is the best at defending hence why he won the league with athletico and why he still gets picked for England
Ahead of anyone else. Maybe it’s because he isn’t fast the reason why people don’t rate him but he’s that good at defending he doesn’t need pace.
Excellent player but think he’ll start to decline within 1-2 years

Frankfurt Rangers final would be interesting. Shades of 1960 European Cup semi where Rangers got done 6-1 in Germany and 6-3 at home. They then all turned up at Hampden, c130,000 to watch them beat Madrid in the final.......

Had an easier run than most (Dortmund and Leipzig excepted) but Rangers reaching Europa League final is still an astounding achievement.

Trumps the 2008 run, that’s for sure. Scottish football is even more dogshit now so they’ve done incredibly well

Interesting to ponder whether this would have happened under Gerrard. Might they actually have found an upgrade in van Bronckhorst?

Well done to Rangers. Pleased that another British club has got through to a final. Hope they win. My youngest daughter now lives in Glasgow, and her fella is a Ger unfortunately!! He was on tonight. What a great result.

The ESL-style backdoor clause (clubs who failed to qualify could sneak back in based on coefficient finagling) has been dropped for the 2024 Champions League changes.

The ESL-style backdoor clause (clubs who failed to qualify could sneak back in based on coefficient finagling) has been dropped for the 2024 Champions League changes.

so ive not looked into the details, but England could get 5 teams in the champions league? Think its time to change the name of the competition, how can the 5th best team in a country be in a 'champions' league?
Should go back to the old days of 1 team per country and the rest can go into the uefa cup

I dont like the sound of this

Taking the total number of teams from 32 to 36 in the UEFA Champions League, the biggest change will see a transformation from the traditional group stage to a single league stage including all participating teams. Every club will now be guaranteed a minimum of 10 league stage games against 10 different opponents (five home games, five away) rather than the previous six matches against three teams, played on a home and away basis.

So not all teams will play each other, some will end up with easier fixtures than others, what's wrong with the current group stage format? They keep trying to mess around with things and making them worse in my opinion, the same with the new Euros format they introduced a few years back and future World Cup formats they're going to introduce

Taking the total number of teams from 32 to 36 in the UEFA Champions League, the biggest change will see a transformation from the traditional group stage to a single league stage including all participating teams. Every club will now be guaranteed a minimum of 10 league stage games against 10 different opponents (five home games, five away) rather than the previous six matches against three teams, played on a home and away basis.

So not all teams will play each other, some will end up with easier fixtures than others, what's wrong with the current group stage format? They keep trying to mess around with things and making them worse in my opinion, the same with the new Euros format they introduced a few years back and future World Cup formats they're going to introduce

More games = More TV money for UEFA. Or am I being just a little too cynical?

That was the older proposal - the final format features 8 group games per club, not 10.

But yes, it will use the "Swiss system".

If they want a European league just go for it.

Best 32 based on co-efficient.

Split into 4 equal groups of 8.

Play everyone in your own group twice (14 games) and teams in the other groups once (24 games) giving a 38 game season

Top 2 in each group play-off - quarter final, semi-final, final - to determine the champion.

Bottom of each group is relegated to their own national league.

National champions play 2-4 rounds of knock-out games to determine who gets promoted.

Simples!

Frankfurt Rangers final would be interesting. Shades of 1960 European Cup semi where Rangers got done 6-1 in Germany and 6-3 at home. They then all turned up at Hampden, c130,000 to watch them beat Madrid in the final.......
Maybe i am misunderstanding your post Si , but Real Madrid beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7-3 in the 1960 final..........

If they want a European league just go for it.

Best 32 based on co-efficient.

Split into 4 equal groups of 8.

Play everyone in your own group twice (14 games) and teams in the other groups once (24 games) giving a 38 game season

Top 2 in each group play-off - quarter final, semi-final, final - to determine the champion.

Bottom of each group is relegated to their own national league.

National champions play 2-4 rounds of knock-out games to determine who gets promoted.

Simples!
Did that format just come to you off the top of your head Saint ??

It would have taken me all night to work that lot out.............

Maybe i am misunderstanding your post Si , but Real Madrid beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7-3 in the 1960 final..........
Yes, irony not working online mate. Rangers got mullered home and away and all trooped off to Hampden to watch them down the mighty Madrid. How could they fail having beaten mighty Rangers so comprehensively. Apparently this was why the attendance was so big.

So yes I'm aware of what the score was. Lame attempt at a bit of humour. Apologies