Ched Evans

Would you welcome the signing of Ched Evans at PNE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retfordpete

Forum Patron
Patron
No idea why Ken’s name is here, sorry!
No, he isn't. There's no such terminology as 'innocent' in law. He was found 'not guilty', which simply means there was insufficient evidence to bring about a conviction.

It doesn't mean he's innocent. All you have to do is read what Evans himself admitting to doing that night, and if you don't find that morally repugnant, I don't know what to tell you.
The difficulty with that is that he is innocent until proven guilty. If his guilt has not been proven (and he is not guilty in the eyes of the law) then by definition he is innocent. I’m not commenting on what happened there and have my own views but it is fair to describe someone who was not guilty as innocent on that presumption of innocence. I don’t want him at my club though!

sf

Forum Patron
Patron
I didn't question legality.

I questioned character.
Well I can tell you a bunch of shit about Ricardo Fuller which would have your moral compass going mental.

Some of the players in the squad currently are probably bell ends too.

I still enjoy watching Mike Tyson fights, i'm not going down the pub with him.

My last point on this thread, peck someone else's head.

kitman99

Cleaner of Boots
Patron
O'Rouke has jumped the gun (not for the first time).

We have two hopes on this one.

Firstly the Fleetwood owner decides he wants to keep him, the fact he has sacked his manager over it indicates he might.

The second is that EVERYONE concerned is made aware of a very large proportion of our fan base views on this.

Whether its footballing or non footballing reasons the tidal wave of bad publicity heading our clubs way for a six month loan for a 32 year old does not make sense on any level.
So to confirm, AN is happy with the signing. It isn't one that is put upon him?

Delaney

Forum Patron
Patron
I think everyone can read what Evans has admitted to doing and can make their own mind up on whether that's acceptable, and whether we'd support someone who does stuff like that. We're also not going to change each others minds on that. I think people have got to understand, though, that even though he was found not guilty of rape, people are going to not be able to support and cheer on someone who's done something that crosses a line based on their own personal morality and experiences.

That shouldn't be too difficult to understand (people were refusing to go on while players knelt ffs). People choose to boycott actors, musicians etc based on them doing legal things they disagree with all the time, for instance I love Morrissey and Johnny Rotten's music but wouldn't see either of them live now because of Morrissey's political views and Johnny Rotten's decision to sell out to do a butter advert.

The issue with this signing, I think even if people think that they could support him, is that it's putting a lot of the club's supporters in a position where they feel like they're going to have to choose between their own sense of morality, and supporting a PNE player. This isn't being done because it could get us promotion, or because we've got the opportunity to sign a real top class player for this level, but because Trev's spied a bargain. Signing him would show a real disregard for the supporters imo.

I think to be honest the no fans thing might make this a bit easier, at least parents aren't going to be coming off matches having to explain to their kid what the opposition fans' chants were about, and people who've been through similar things (not saying rape, but just the way he's admitted to treating women) aren't going to be faced with a decision of whether to cheer someone who's done the same to another person or stop going on games. But really, it'd just frustrate me so so much if the club were to put fans in this position for little to no footballing benefit, and I think even those who are fine supporting Evans should be able to sympathise with that.

boeoz

Manager
The difficulty with that is that he is innocent until proven guilty. If his guilt has not been proven (and he is not guilty in the eyes of the law) then by definition he is innocent. I’m not commenting on what happened there and have my own views but it is fair to describe someone who was not guilty as innocent on that presumption of innocence. I don’t want him at my club though!
Indeed, unless that person admitted to something that was almost (but not quite) as awful, which is what happened here. Not guilty of the specific legal definition of rape, perhaps, but still guilty of exhibiting very predatory behaviour.

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron
I think everyone can read what Evans has admitted to doing and can make their own mind up on whether that's acceptable, and whether we'd support someone who does stuff like that. We're also not going to change each others minds on that. I think people have got to understand, though, that even though he was found not guilty of rape, people are going to not be able to support and cheer on someone who's done something that crosses a line based on their own personal morality and experiences.

That shouldn't be too difficult to understand (people were refusing to go on while players knelt ffs). People choose to boycott actors, musicians etc based on them doing legal things they disagree with all the time, for instance I love Morrissey and Johnny Rotten's music but wouldn't see either of them live now because of Morrissey's political views and Johnny Rotten's decision to sell out to do a butter advert.

The issue with this signing, I think even if people think that they could support him, is that it's putting a lot of the club's supporters in a position where they feel like they're going to have to choose between their own sense of morality, and supporting a PNE player. This isn't being done because it could get us promotion, or because we've got the opportunity to sign a real top class player for this level, but because Trev's spied a bargain. Signing him would show a real disregard for the supporters imo.

I think to be honest the no fans thing might make this a bit easier, at least parents aren't going to be coming off matches having to explain to their kid what the opposition fans' chants were about, and people who've been through similar things (not saying rape, but just the way he's admitted to treating women) aren't going to be faced with a decision of whether to cheer someone who's done the same to another person or stop going on games. But really, it'd just frustrate me so so much if the club were to put fans in this position for little to no footballing benefit, and I think even those who are fine supporting Evans should be able to sympathise with that.
Yep - this signing would inevitably pit PNE fan against PNE fan - OK, not within the stadium (unless TH subsequently throws him one of his famous 2-year deals), but online, in all social media. Every game. All the time.

Only a hopelessly remote and disengaged owner would deliberately create a situation like this.

OP
JK

JK

Forum Landlord
Staff member
Patron
Well I can tell you a bunch of shit about Ricardo Fuller which would have your moral compass going mental.

Some of the players in the squad currently are probably bell ends too.

I still enjoy watching Mike Tyson fights, i'm not going down the pub with him.

My last point on this thread, peck someone else's head.

So we can agree Ched Evans is a bell end?

For me it is much more than my personal view.

It will bring a tidal wave of bad PR to out football club from within our own fan base and outside. A very devisive signing of a 32 year old whonhasnt ayed at this level for 10 years on a six month loan deal.

I've seen nothing in recent years to suggest he will improve our starting 11.

So in ballance I think he would be a terrible, unwarranted signing that we should not be making.

That is not "pecking at your head" its having a different point of view.

Last edited:

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Very conflicted about this...
Not happy that he’s signed for us but believe he should be able to play for any club who sign him.
Odd one really.
To be clear, it’s been said that O’Rourke has jumped the gun on the deal having been signed already.

Mr Meeseeks

Forum Patron
Patron
Massively gone down in my estimations. Thought he had more integrity than that.
Trust me when I say I know where you are coming from. You're clearly very passionate on this and nothing will change your stance and I respect that.

Ultimately Alex Neil is employed to win football matches and if he believes that is with Ched Evans up top, then so be it in his eyes. If he's unemployed in 6 months time because we haven't gone up due to lack of a striker no one will pat him on the back and pay his bills because he refused to sign Ched Evans.

Status
Not open for further replies.