Chess

Bardas

Forum Patron
Patron
I used to play a great deal when young, and studied the game to an almost excessive level for a few years. I lost interest in my mid teens after realising I`d only ever be a mediocre player. Getting beat all the time does little for enthusiasm..and beer and girls came along.

Have been thinking about rekindling my interest since watching `The Queen`s Gambit`, though, which had me totally fascinated by the game once again.

Have a vague sort of plan to take it up again after my ( not far off) retirement, for pleasure and to try to keep the mind sharp, when I have the time and energy to put into it.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
I used to play a great deal when young, and studied the game to an almost excessive level for a few years. I lost interest in my mid teens after realising I`d only ever be a mediocre player. Getting beat all the time does little for enthusiasm..and beer and girls came along.

Have been thinking about rekindling my interest since watching `The Queen`s Gambit`, though, which had me totally fascinated by the game once again.

Have a vague sort of plan to take it up again after my ( not far off) retirement, for pleasure and to try to keep the mind sharp, when I have the time and energy to put into it.
I'm on Chess.com Bardas. You can play anyone at anytime with pretty well any time limit. When you play, it automatically and randomly puts you up against someone of a similar rating. Or you can play a friend irrespective of their rating.

If you fancy a game on there give me a shout. Btw I'm floating around the 1000 rating mark for a 10 minute game. I suspect that if you've studied the game properly you'd be playing at a higher rating than me.

Bardas

Forum Patron
Patron
I'm on Chess.com Bardas. You can play anyone at anytime with pretty well any time limit. When you play, it automatically and randomly puts you up against someone of a similar rating. Or you can play a friend irrespective of their rating.

If you fancy a game on there give me a shout. Btw I'm floating around the 1000 rating mark for a 10 minute game. I suspect that if you've studied the game properly you'd be playing at a higher rating than me.

I`m so rusty ( it`s been decades, literally, since I played regularly) I`d not be worth your effort, I`m afraid.

But North End is for life....we`ll both be around in a few years if I do reach a decent standard again....and I`ll certainly give you a shout then ! :)

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
I`m so rusty ( it`s been decades, literally, since I played regularly) I`d not be worth your effort, I`m afraid.

But North End is for life....we`ll both be around in a few years if I do reach a decent standard again....and I`ll certainly give you a shout then ! :)
I bet you a tenner that if you played you'd soon knock off losers like me :ROFLMAO:

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron

I’ve just realised that’s the same place I used to play on. There is an app isn’t there? As long as you’re prepared for games to run for days when I forget to check back I’m happy to play. Will see if I can remember my logon

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
Does anyone on here play?

I used to play when i was school and was pretty good, I was captain of the school team.

I've hardly played at all since then so I'll be very rusty. Like @Bardas beer and girls did it for me. :)

Just a few days ago, I down loaded an app but haven't got round to trying it yet so might give Chess.com a try. When I've had a bit of practice I'm happy to give anyone on here a game.

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
I’ve just realised that’s the same place I used to play on. There is an app isn’t there? As long as you’re prepared for games to run for days when I forget to check back I’m happy to play. Will see if I can remember my logon
I quite fancy that, is it a case of taking breaks or do you just play one move at a time and wait for opponent to respond?

My biggest problem is finding a couple of hours to play a game properly.

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
I quite fancy that, is it a case of taking breaks or do you just play one move at a time and wait for opponent to respond?

My biggest problem is finding a couple of hours to play a game properly.
If it's the same app yeah you just do a move at a time then it pings when your opponents do the same. Sometimes you may have a few moves in a few hours of you're both about. Other days might only manage one each

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
I can play but am crap. One of those online chess games, set to expert level, used to get me in checkmate within about four moves.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
I used to play when i was school and was pretty good, I was captain of the school team.

I've hardly played at all since then so I'll be very rusty. Like @Bardas beer and girls did it for me. :)

Just a few days ago, I down loaded an app but haven't got round to trying it yet so might give Chess.com a try. When I've had a bit of practice I'm happy to give anyone on here a game.
All the site GMs coming out of the woodwork now.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
Yep there's an app. There's options. With friends we set the game at 7 days or summat so you can play a move when you're ready - obviously takes the time pressure element out of the equation but it's unlikely that you'd be able to play a 10-minute game at the same time unless pre-arranged.

With random games you can set the time limit to whatever and within about 2 seconds the app automatically allocates you to a similarly-ranked opponent. There's hundreds of thousands of folk online at any one point.