Chess

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
Good game @jcfartpants but I'm so angry with myself. If I'd come K-h2 before Q-a6, I'm pretty sure you'd have been in trouble. After that, I was just plain angry and wasn't thinking straight, not that it mattered, I'd lost as soon as I played that move.
Thing is in these games with mortals even if you make a bad move there's still time to recover because it's highly likely that the opposition will make a bad move subsequently.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Anyone feel like sharing their current rankings?

I've kind of stabilised in the range around mid-upper 500s on the 10 minute game (I'm 491 in the 5-minute game). I've kind of cut out a lot of absolute rubbish... but on the other hand, I don't seem to make headway either... losing probably a bit more than I win still (overall it's been 39% Win. 57% Lose)

1632773456818.png

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Another screenshot... purely as a "learn" in case it's useful for you guys (and nothing to do with me feeling smug 😇)

I got into a hopeless situation... so decided to play for stalemate. Tried to tie up my other pieces... but my opponent just ate them up anyway as I danced my king towards a corner. I'll let the screenshot tell the rest. Moral is that the more powerful your position, the more care you need to take when going for the end-game! He thought he was casually coming in for the kill and carelessly left me nowhere to go :ROFLMAO:

Maybe I'm weird (ok, I know I am)... but getting a draw from that position was far more satisfying than winning!

1632780382493.png

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
Another screenshot... purely as a "learn" in case it's useful for you guys (and nothing to do with me feeling smug 😇)

I got into a hopeless situation... so decided to play for stalemate. Tried to tie up my other pieces... but my opponent just ate them up anyway as I danced my king towards a corner. I'll let the screenshot tell the rest. Moral is that the more powerful your position, the more care you need to take when going for the end-game! He thought he was casually coming in for the kill and carelessly left me nowhere to go :ROFLMAO:

Maybe I'm weird (ok, I know I am)... but getting a draw from that position was far more satisfying than winning!

View attachment 4800
It's an interesting point. Most people in white's position will know how to mate with those pieces, but there are often people who don't, so sometimes it's worth playing on to see if they can work it out, especially if they are getting low on time.

For white to mate black with two Qs, two Rs or a Q and an R is dead simple where there's no cover.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
Anyone feel like sharing their current rankings?

I've kind of stabilised in the range around mid-upper 500s on the 10 minute game (I'm 491 in the 5-minute game). I've kind of cut out a lot of absolute rubbish... but on the other hand, I don't seem to make headway either... losing probably a bit more than I win still (overall it's been 39% Win. 57% Lose)

View attachment 4796
I've not actually played any 5 minute games and though they might be fun I think it becomes more of a "who can make the least mistakes" game, rather than who is actually playing good chess.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
It's an interesting point. Most people in white's position will know how to mate with those pieces, but there are often people who don't, so sometimes it's worth playing on to see if they can work it out, especially if they are getting low on time.

For white to mate black with two Qs, two Rs or a Q and an R is dead simple where there's no cover.

I’ve played a lot of (too many) games now - but that’s 3 times I have managed to get a draw by deliberately giving them an opportunity to fall into a stalemate trap when I have been down to one or two pieces.

When this guy got his second Queen - and then went and got a third Queen instead of just finishing me off, my hopes rose that he was getting cocky and would not think of that possibility.

It’s a particularly funny board - to think we both ended up with the same result!

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
I’ve played a lot of (too many) games now - but that’s 3 times I have managed to get a draw by deliberately giving them an opportunity to fall into a stalemate trap when I have been down to one or two pieces.

When this guy got his second Queen - and then went and got a third Queen instead of just finishing me off, my hopes rose that he was getting cocky and would not think of that possibility.

It’s a particularly funny board - to think we both ended up with the same result!
The question is, how did you manage to end up with just your king against someone who couldn't finish you off with a 48 count advantage ;) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron

And I'll remember that if we get to the endgame. That's quite a useful skill to have...don't think I've ever got a stalemate out of a losing position.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
phpCRXjOJ.png

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
I've been playing a few 5-min Blitz games which I'd not done before until someone on here mentioned playing them. Always thought they'd induce too many mistakes and therefore not enough thought......which is what happens!! But what I've noticed is that going back to 10-min games after playing 5-min games makes you feel like you have a whole lot longer to make moves.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Sorry about the slow play jcf... LiS will no doubt suffer the same. I am playing only on a computer that I often don't use for most of the day Was a tough game... settled, I think, by one error half in the early part. I really enjoyed being able to take my time and think things through.

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
Sorry about the slow play jcf... LiS will no doubt suffer the same. I am playing only on a computer that I often don't use for most of the day Was a tough game... settled, I think, by one error half in the early part. I really enjoyed being able to take my time and think things through.
No probs for me.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
@jcfartpants @Bardas @LostinSpace On chess.com... there's the option to analyse the match in full (once per day for non-subscribers). It looks very comprehensive but I don't understand something. It sometimes says "Missed Win" when there appears absolutely no way that a win was anywhere close. Am I misunderstanding something? Example here.

White knight had just moved to F7 to threaten my queen. I chose to move my queen rather than take the knight (which would have led to me losing my rook, even though technically, I probably should have done so, as I'd have got a knight and bishop in exchange for it).

So, in analysis, does "Missed Win" just mean I missed taking a piece, or is it telling me that I really did miss a match-winning opportunity? Surely it's the latter but how could moving rook to f7 have given me the opportunity to force a win? (indeed after every game, there's a simple analysis that gives you a count of Mistakes, Blunders & Missed Wins... and surely Missed Wins must mean missed-win-opportunities there too). Any thoughts?

1634516675102.png

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
@jcfartpants @Bardas @LostinSpace On chess.com... there's the option to analyse the match in full (once per day for non-subscribers). It looks very comprehensive but I don't understand something. It sometimes says "Missed Win" when there appears absolutely no way that a win was anywhere close. Am I misunderstanding something? Example here.

White knight had just moved to F7 to threaten my queen. I chose to move my queen rather than take the knight (which would have led to me losing my rook, even though technically, I probably should have done so, as I'd have got a knight and bishop in exchange for it).

So, in analysis, does "Missed Win" just mean I missed taking a piece, or is it telling me that I really did miss a match-winning opportunity? Surely it's the latter but how could moving rook to f7 have given me the opportunity to force a win? (indeed after every game, there's a simple analysis that gives you a count of Mistakes, Blunders & Missed Wins... and surely Missed Wins must mean missed-win-opportunities there too). Any thoughts?

View attachment 4931
What is a missed win on chess com?

In chess.com definition, a "Missed Win" is "a move was missed that would have won material or the game", and a "Blunder" is "a very bad move that could lose material or end the game".

So wining the piece rather than the game was the "miss" in this instance

Sorry to those I had games ongoing with, work got in the way so I've stopped for a couple of weeks

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron

View attachment 4931
In addition to Jake's answer, I think the other thing here is that the "engine" can see a long way into the future, whereas we mortals cannot - there may be a match winning move several or many moves down the line that the engine can see.