Chess

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
Weird I found you via email and it's lt me send one and there was one from Bardas waiting for me so maybe it was something on the browser? Only used the app so far sorry
I downloaded the app but I think it was the wrong one, there's no way I can see to connect with anyone. Another problem is that it defaults to my Apple id email address, so it might know it's me!

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
I found @jakehake by searching but it won't let me send a friend request. Any suggestions?

I'm on the web page and it isn't user friendly, at least to a newbie.
I found @jakehake by searching but it won't let me send a friend request. Any suggestions?

I'm on the web page and it isn't user friendly, at least to a newbie.
I don't know mate.....I;ve tried to search for you by email and you don't come up.

I tried to search for Bardas's username and it doesn't come up but he has found me jcnobber. We're now playing a game but even if I search for his username now it still doesn't come up :unsure:

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
Yeah..that was me.
JC `s has come through now.
I see it's given you a starting rating of over 1300 which it did with Jake. I can't remember what my rating was when I joined - looking back it appeared to be 500 :unsure: .

When you play a friend you play as a "daily" game and that will give you a a different rating than if you play "rapid" (10 min game), or Blitz (3 min game).

My "Daily" rating is 1081 but that's only ever having played against one friend who isn't very good.

My "Rapid" rating is 945 and that's having played nearly 400 games. Highest I've been on "Rapid" is 1018.

Haven't played any Blitz games as I'm not sure it's the best for learning the better moves due to the extreme time pressure.

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
I don't know mate.....I;ve tried to search for you by email and you don't come up.

I tried to search for Bardas's username and it doesn't come up but he has found me jcnobber. We're now playing a game but even if I search for his username now it still doesn't come up :unsure:
Have you verified your email address? I made that mistake at first. There was an email sitting in my inbox which I hadn’t seen.

Bardas

Forum Patron
Patron
Ignore the rating...I`ve played 7 10 minute games, won 4, lost 3, and am about 400. Not good at all.

I`m having some difficulties, tbh...but they`re not insurmountable. I have a condition called dyspraxia...it basically means it`s very hard to learn new skills, but once you do a task enough, you can get very good indeed. ( David Beckham has a form of it....note the accurate free kicks, through practice, but not much that`s spontaneous).

The problem I`m having now is the chess pieces. It`s happened to me before....use a different chess set, or format, and I`m struggling. I didn`t understand that 40 years ago, but do now. I keep, for instance, throwing away my Queen..I simply don`t `see` it at times.

I just need to play a lot of games, quickly, and establish some neuron connections....so I`m gonna be playing, and losing, but the aim at this stage isn`t to win.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
Ignore the rating...I`ve played 7 10 minute games, won 4, lost 3, and am about 400. Not good at all.

I`m having some difficulties, tbh...but they`re not insurmountable. I have a condition called dyspraxia...it basically means it`s very hard to learn new skills, but once you do a task enough, you can get very good indeed. ( David Beckham has a form of it....note the accurate free kicks, through practice, but not much that`s spontaneous).

The problem I`m having now is the chess pieces. It`s happened to me before....use a different chess set, or format, and I`m struggling. I didn`t understand that 40 years ago, but do now. I keep, for instance, throwing away my Queen..I simply don`t `see` it at times.

I just need to play a lot of games, quickly, and establish some neuron connections....so I`m gonna be playing, and losing, but the aim at this stage isn`t to win.
Exactly.

If I look at my games I've won 55% Lost 40% and drawn 5%

Playing the 10 minute games obvs adds a lot of time pressure. In the games we will play there's no time limit so you won't make as many mistakes.

Bardas

Forum Patron
Patron

I think there`s more than one way to search. I couldn`t find anyone at first, but do when I go deeper into the menu.

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron

I can't find you either, although I'm not sure i'm doing it right. It's possible that I hadn't verified my account when you tried to find me, it might be worth trying again.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
I can't find you either, although I'm not sure i'm doing it right. It's possible that I hadn't verified my account when you tried to find me, it might be worth trying again.
Done, it worked for your username, I was searching via your email which didn't work!

Bardas

Forum Patron
Patron
Is anyone on here called shortfall of gravitas?

Yeah..that`s me. ( Iain M Banks ref for anyone who reads that author) .Just seen you added to my friends list..whilst playing a 10 min game, AND making my first bad error against JC! :)

Gotta slow down... :)

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
Yeah..that`s me. ( Iain M Banks ref for anyone who reads that author) .Just seen you added to my friends list..whilst playing a 10 min game, AND making my first bad error against JC! :)

Gotta slow down... :)
I was going to ask about your username. Any literary references will be over my head I'm afraid.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
This is the first time I've had multiple games on the go and the problem I've noticed is that if there's a bit of time between the moves, then I've forgotten what my plan was by the time one of you has made the next move :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Of course, when I say plan I mean in the loosest sense of the word!