PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Chess

done me like a kipper jcf. I’ve been running away from LiS since the start, and fear the same fate is not too far off in my game against him - unless he forgets and gets timed out in a fortnight.

Is the chat function on there for subscribers only?

Anyway- these no time-limit games are really interesting. Sometimes the pace means you forget something and make a bad error - but on the other hand, it’s really good to have time to really think and analyse. It’s shocking how slow I can be at spotting threats and opportunities - and I must miss so much in the rapid games. But I imagine that playing unlimited time games will be a good way to get the brain moving - ultimately able to think faster.

done me like a kipper jcf. I’ve been running away from LiS since the start, and fear the same fate is not too far off in my game against him - unless he forgets and gets timed out in a fortnight.

Anyway- these no time-limit games are really interesting. Sometimes the pace means you forget something and make a bad error - but on the other hand, it’s really good to have time to really think and analyse. It’s shocking how slow I can be at spotting threats and opportunities - and I must miss so much in the rapid games. But I imagine that playing unlimited time games will be a good way to get the brain moving - ultimately able to think faster.
Anyone can use the chat function. I'll be logging on soon to make my next moves (against you and JC) so will send you a test message.

You've been doing that for the 2 days since your last move lad :rolleyes: .......get a shift on.;)

Help please... So this "Super brainy" chess computer... I'm just analysing a game I played v fartypants - and to me there are several occasions where the computer wanted me to do some crazy moves. Most strikingly here, where it wanted me to lose my queen! Am my missing something, or is the computer crap?

Fartpants had just taken a Pawn with his white Bishop, putting me in check. A nice move that I didn't see coming. If I'd have been under mega time pressure, I might have taken his Bishop with the black King. But I soon spotted the danger and instead moved my King forwards to e7 - so that it protected my Queen. But, as you see... the computer is telling me that was wrong and I should have taken the white bishop. But surely surely surely, the white queen just then comes and takes my queen, and no way can that be anything but a complete disaster???

I could show you 3 other occasions in the analysis of that game where, IMO, it wanted me make a move that would have cost me a valuable piece, with no apparent payback. Should I be losing faith in that analysis tool?

1635347006787.png

Know where you`re coming from, Reg.

I`ve given up on the chess now. Started off well, with a rapidly rising ranking, then it all went downhill once I started learning openings/tactics. I have a condition that means I`m slow to learn new tasks....but generally find that returning later, the information has been processed, and everything is much easier.

But the final straw for me was playing an excellent game, against a player with a vastly greater ranking, over 2 weeks in which I knew I`d made few mistakes, and I eventually lost, honourably, after a damn good fight. I decided it would be a great learning process to go through the game move by move.

Then I read the analysis..and found very little that I actually understood, and one `blunder` in particular it highlighted which I was convinced was either absolute bollocks or I was just really stupid. Spent 2 days trying to figure out why sacrificing my queen for no reason at the beginning of the game would have been a better move....then decided this just wasn`t the game for me.

So I`d be interested to hear what others say on this.

Help please... So this "Super brainy" chess computer... I'm just analysing a game I played v fartypants - and to me there are several occasions where the computer wanted me to do some crazy moves. Most strikingly here, where it wanted me to lose my queen! Am my missing something, or is the computer crap?

Fartpants had just taken a Pawn with his white Bishop, putting me in check. A nice move that I didn't see coming. If I'd have been under mega time pressure, I might have taken his Bishop with the black King. But I soon spotted the danger and instead moved my King forwards to e7 - so that it protected my Queen. But, as you see... the computer is telling me that was wrong and I should have taken the white bishop. But surely surely surely, the white queen just then comes and takes my queen, and no way can that be anything but a complete disaster???

I could show you 3 other occasions in the analysis of that game where, IMO, it wanted me make a move that would have cost me a valuable piece, with no apparent payback. Should I be losing faith in that analysis tool?

View attachment 5062

I think the algorithms will always weight taking a piece over a defensive move. If you lost your queen then the likelihood of White losing their Queen in a couple of moves is possible looking at that board i.e. Bb4+

I think the algorithms will always weight taking a piece over a defensive move. If you lost your queen then the likelihood of White losing their Queen in a couple of moves is possible looking at that board i.e. Bb4+

Thanks, but if I had taken the white bishop, then fartpants' would have shot down with his queen to take mine - and I absolutely can see no way in which White is likely to lose its queen after that. What piece has black got that could force such a move?

@Bardas - I think that a shit algorithm in chess.com has discouraged you after what sounds like an excellent performance! I have no confidence at all that it is reliable.

Honestly, maybe if fartypants is able to analyse the same game, he would perhaps be able to share his thoughts on my clear view that there are also 3 other occasions where the analysis says I'd made a mistake... but in fact if I had taken the algorithm's recommended move, then I'd have lost a valuable piece. But on its own, that screenshot above is damning, IMO.

Thanks, but if I had taken the white bishop, then fartpants' would have shot down with his queen to take mine - and I absolutely can see no way in which White is likely to lose its queen after that. What piece has black got that could force such a move?

@Bardas - I think that a shit algorithm in chess.com has discouraged you after what sounds like an excellent performance! I have no confidence at all that it is reliable.

Honestly, maybe if fartypants is able to analyse the same game, he would perhaps be able to share his thoughts on my clear view that there are also 3 other occasions where the analysis says I'd made a mistake... but in fact if I had taken the algorithm's recommended move, then I'd have lost a valuable piece. But on its own, that screenshot above is damning, IMO.
Like I said Bb4+ which would mean white had to defend against mate leaving the queen to be taken by the rook (if the queen was pulled back to block mate its lost also)

6CD55F79-9592-47CC-86A5-CD6195463236.jpeg