PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Chess

Know where you`re coming from, Reg.

I`ve given up on the chess now. Started off well, with a rapidly rising ranking, then it all went downhill once I started learning openings/tactics. I have a condition that means I`m slow to learn new tasks....but generally find that returning later, the information has been processed, and everything is much easier.

But the final straw for me was playing an excellent game, against a player with a vastly greater ranking, over 2 weeks in which I knew I`d made few mistakes, and I eventually lost, honourably, after a damn good fight. I decided it would be a great learning process to go through the game move by move.

Then I read the analysis..and found very little that I actually understood, and one `blunder` in particular it highlighted which I was convinced was either absolute bollocks or I was just really stupid. Spent 2 days trying to figure out why sacrificing my queen for no reason at the beginning of the game would have been a better move....then decided this just wasn`t the game for me.

So I`d be interested to hear what others say on this.
I'm going to go out on a limb here Bardas and say that I think you're over-analysing it. Which isn't to say that it's a bad thing to analyse games, but for me, at my level, it's not worth dwelling on the fact that I'm never going to make the best moves and that I'm always going to make blunders...that's just how it is for people at our level.

I certainly am not going to spend hours trying to learn the game so that I can be a 1500-2000 player. I'm going to do whatever learning I feel like, and play at the level I am, and am going to enjoy doing that.

It's like sport...let's say you're a 21 min 5k runner.....if you compare yourself to a 15min 5k runner and feel that you'll never be at that standard......which you almost certainly never will......then there'll never be any enjoyment in it.

Thanks, but if I had taken the white bishop, then fartpants' would have shot down with his queen to take mine - and I absolutely can see no way in which White is likely to lose its queen after that. What piece has black got that could force such a move?

@Bardas - I think that a shit algorithm in chess.com has discouraged you after what sounds like an excellent performance! I have no confidence at all that it is reliable.

Honestly, maybe if fartypants is able to analyse the same game, he would perhaps be able to share his thoughts on my clear view that there are also 3 other occasions where the analysis says I'd made a mistake... but in fact if I had taken the algorithm's recommended move, then I'd have lost a valuable piece. But on its own, that screenshot above is damning, IMO.
I haven't analysed that game yet......but what I would say is when one analyses what the engine says it often looks suspect and the only reason that can be is that it can see the bigger picture much further down the line. If it says you should have sacrificed your Q then there is sure to be a big advantage to you in doing that at some point some moves further on. The analysis allows you to follow up that sequence of moves. Thing is, unless you are able to calculate a long way ahead you're not going to see that, which is one of the things that marks out better players vs you or me.

Well played in that game jcf btw. I did send you congratulations (with a few swear words added!) by PM - but I sent them to the wrong person 😬

I am the Liam Lindsay of chess. Score occasionally, not bad in defence except prone to occasional catastrophic errors - as l just proved again in my game with LiS.

I’ll not start a new game until next week. Too much going on for a few days.

I am the Liam Lindsay of chess. Score occasionally, not bad in defence except prone to occasional catastrophic errors - as l just proved again in my game with LiS.

I’ll not start a new game until next week. Too much going on for a few days.
Same for all of us innit.

Has anyone played the 5 minute game? There are some real sharks on there.
Having played a lot of the 10 minute game I reckon I’m about a 850-950 player.
I go on the 5 minute game and I just seem to lose game after game, all to quite clever tricks and openings. I’m currently about 660 rating on there. Frequently beaten with people rated 700-800 who I would usually beat with ease on the standard 10 minute game.

Has anyone played the 5 minute game? There are some real sharks on there.
Having played a lot of the 10 minute game I reckon I’m about a 850-950 player.
I go on the 5 minute game and I just seem to lose game after game, all to quite clever tricks and openings. I’m currently about 660 rating on there. Frequently beaten with people rated 700-800 who I would usually beat with ease on the standard 10 minute game.
I played a few 5 minute games... but it's a waste of time for me. I think I've played 7 or 8. and I can't remember if I've won 1 or 0. Probably 0.

I'm just not switched on enough for fast games. More often than not, I am against massive time pressure in the 10 minute games - which then usually leads to defeat... so 5 minute-games are hopeless!

I think that like any skill, if you're not practised, you need to be slow and deliberate... and as you practice more, routine stuff comes naturally and you don't need time to think. I am hoping that's the case.. and maybe you just need to get better and more experienced at the 10-minute game if you want to have much chance in the 5min game.

I played a few 5 minute games... but it's a waste of time for me. I think I've played 7 or 8. and I can't remember if I've won 1 or 0. Probably 0.

I'm just not switched on enough for fast games. More often than not, I am against massive time pressure in the 10 minute games - which then usually leads to defeat... so 5 minute-games are hopeless!

I think that like any skill, if you're not practised, you need to be slow and deliberate... and as you practice more, routine stuff comes naturally and you don't need time to think. I am hoping that's the case.. and maybe you just need to get better and more experienced at the 10-minute game if you want to have much chance in the 5min game.
I wouldn’t even bother playing the blitz games. First, my brain doesn’t work that quick anymore, but more important the people who play regularly learn blitz openings off by heart. They’ve spent hours doing their homework and you only have seconds to reply.

Point proven.

Stats from my games so far:

BLITZ (5 mins)

Games played 334
Won 155
Lost 167
Rating 734

RAPID (10 mins)

Games played 405
Won 229
Lost 158
Rating 1072