PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Chippy Tea: How Do You Eat Yours?

What have I started ?

We were on holiday in south west France.. and saw this crowd sitting tables and eating... with a superb view down the valley.

As we got closer we could see it was a fish and chip van doing a roaring trade in the middle of rural france.. and not just with the ex pats.

My preference is haddock, chips, a sprinkling of salt and that special yellow curry sauce... is it tea time yet ? Pour Le Feeesh et Ship !
These Asians have a lot to learn about proper curry.

Is this being tight, generous or wasteful? My missus will always say 'how about you get this, I'll get that, and we can share the chips'? I never, ever share my chips and tell my missus she's not having ANY off my plate but would gladly buy her her own portion of chips even knowing some of them will end up in the bin. I do the same with take-away curries if ever she suggests sharing the rice or naan breads. I'll gladly pay the extra if it means eating my own chippy tea in peace. My missus says tight and wasteful. I say generous.
whoaaa

Hang on

You put your fish and chips on a plate?

Is this being tight, generous or wasteful? My missus will always say 'how about you get this, I'll get that, and we can share the chips'? I never, ever share my chips and tell my missus she's not having ANY off my plate but would gladly buy her her own portion of chips even knowing some of them will end up in the bin. I do the same with take-away curries if ever she suggests sharing the rice or naan breads. I'll gladly pay the extra if it means eating my own chippy tea in peace. My missus says tight and wasteful. I say generous.
There's a compromise that could be made here, instead of buying two portions of chips and having some wasted just get one large portion (which in my experience is generally about a portion and a half) you could take the equivalent of a full portion and your wife gets the rest 🤷‍♀️

If you're putting salt on anything it has to be Himalayan Pink Salt. No substitutes.
Himalayan pink salt? WTF is that pompous crap. We’re northerners, the equivalent here is Beacon Fell Grit.

I’ve been to quite a few of the current top 100 restaurants in the world but fish and chips would be my death row meal of choice.

I cook with a variety of vinegars but I’d never pour any on my chips.

Salt is of course the crack cocaine of the Gods.

Gravy shouldn’t be in the same room as a fish.

If the chips are just on the right side of greasy then any further condiments can be superfluous, although curry sauce can enhance the experience on occasions (especially if you’re introducing bread and butter into the equation).

Never a truer word spoken.

I always found Whelan’s of Latham we’re just the right amount of greasy to never need anything on them at all, apart from a dash of salt.

It's heaven.
Mayonnaise, not prison.

Mayonnaise on chippy chips? Into the bin you go you heathen
There was a place on Church St that we frequented after Raiders and they did chips with a pink garlic mayo concoction that was awesome! Can't remember the name of it now. It was down the hill from Raiders and on a corner (on the same side as Action Records). I'm talking 1996 was probably the last time I went there.

Seeeee! :)

Yeah, I don't need no salt on me chippy tea, not if I've got me curry sauce.
*fucking hell, they don't have that over here* :-(
You’d make a fortune, ‘Muzzas Pommie Sauce’