PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

City Centre Investment

Guessing there is no chance of that early 2025 opening ...

Is the Guild Hall still closed due to crumbling concrete?
Shut indefinitely , I wouldn’t be surprised if they announce its demolition soon . Preston desperately needs a good sized venue for gigs , comedy , etc to complement its smaller grassroots venues

Shut indefinitely , I wouldn’t be surprised if they announce its demolition soon . Preston desperately needs a good sized venue for gigs , comedy , etc to complement its smaller grassroots venues

If there is space for it then putting a music/theatre venue inside Animate is a no-brainer.

Even before the concrete revelations the Guild Hall was going to need significant repair from water damage and upgrading in both the main hall and charter theatre if it wanted to serious attract money making acts.

Surely if places like Blackburn and Warrington can bring in high end B-list shows then Preston can?!

I doubt they’ll make wholesale changes to Animate now to incorporate a theatre , but absolutely Preston needs a new one . Even small places like Chorley get bigger acts than Preston these days . We can’t be a city without one . Shame something can’t be worked out with Uclan for 53 degrees to become a regular venue for now until the Guildhall is replaced/repaired

While we are at it...any idea wtf is happening with the empty units opposite wilko on friargate?
Been empty years....so we now have Debenhams, BHS, Wilko and numerous smaller units empty....yet they can fill a newbuild facility with yet more streetfood establishments....towns turning into a real dump.

Oh and bloody church st needs a massive revamp

While we are at it...any idea wtf is happening with the empty units opposite wilko on friargate?
Been empty years....so we now have Debenhams, BHS, Wilko and numerous smaller units empty....yet they can fill a newbuild facility with yet more streetfood establishments....towns turning into a real dump.

The stretch of Church St from the Minster to Manchester Road could do with a bomb dropping on it so they can start again .
As for all the empty units I suppose it’s a case of private landlords wanting unrealistic rents so no tenants take them on , better financial brains than mine can maybe explain why land banking for no income makes sense .

Units opposite wilko were meant to become a new food area but Covid put a stop to it. No hope for it now as all of the outlets that they would target will be going into the new cinema development. Can’t imagine those units will be full anytime soon. Bring back Bar Censa!

Ever known Preston to have so many developments in the centre at one time?

Adelphi Quarter,
New cinema complex, restaurants and car park on the old indoor market,
Shankly Hotel,
Miller Park Hotel,
Caxton Hotel planned for Friargate,
Booths HQ apartments rennovation,
'Urban park' at the bus station...

Have I missed any?

After a bit of googling, that lot has cost around:

Adelphi Quarter - £60m - Uclan planning to spend £200m over a ten year period.
New cinema complex, restaurants and car park on the old indoor market - £50m
Shankly Hotel - £15m
Miller Park Hotel - ?
Caxton Hotel planned for Friargate - ?
Booths HQ apartments rennovation - £2.5m
'Urban park' at the bus station - £2.75m

You would have to be a seriously miserable bastard to put a downer on all this.

The more infrastructure like this, the more independent businesses and big name shops & bars that come to Preston.

Pretty excited to see what Preston looks like in 5 years time.
And nearly 5 years later…….
(bearing in mind we lost 2 years due to covid)
……most of these things happened or are still work in progress.

Lots more major works/buildings planned around the centre. Great to see that after years of stagnation and decline, the centre in on the up once again.

And nearly 5 years later…….
(bearing in mind we lost 2 years due to covid)
……most of these things happened or are still work in progress.

Lots more major works/buildings planned around the centre. Great to see that after years of stagnation and decline, the centre in on the up once again.
Yeah, it seems that Covid killed the plans they had for the St George's Centre on Friargate, wasn't Alchemist and another big name ready to move in to those units across from Wilkos?

Edit - It was Botanist & Mowgli.

The plans actually looked good, looks like Mowgli pulled out because of the quoted rent rather than Covid though, and moved to the Miller Arcade instead.

I’m guessing adult gaming arcade means roulette machines etc, rather than adults going to play Streetfighter right?
Yep, another one has been approved on Fishergate too.

There's been one in St John's for years, and i'm pretty sure there are two on Orchard Street.

I'm surprised there is real demand for them. Five (at least) in one town centre seems a lot.

I guess its because bookies are limited to having a certain amount of machines now. Depressing.

I'm all for filling the units on Friargate, but not with this trash.

There's been one in St John's for years, and i'm pretty sure there are two on Orchard Street.

I'm surprised there is real demand for them. Five (at least) in one town centre seems a lot.

I guess its because bookies are limited to having a certain amount of machines now. Depressing.

Yes, not sure about a gaming arcade, sounds a bit crap, but if they did something like what they did to TV21s in Manchester id give it a try, its a bar with lots of old games consoles on the tables, so you could play old games on things like mega drives, ps2 or other old consoles while having a few drinks, but an arcade just sounds like its going to be full of fruit machines

Yes, not sure about a gaming arcade, sounds a bit crap, but if they did something like what they did to TV21s in Manchester id give it a try, its a bar with lots of old games consoles on the tables, so you could play old games on things like mega drives, ps2 or other old consoles while having a few drinks, but an arcade just sounds like its going to be full of fruit machines
Yeah, this is 100% bandits and roulette machines.

There was one like that a few years back in the old Fox and Grapes pub. It was called Barcadium or Barcadia (something like that anyway). Didn’t last long though

Yeah, this is 100% bandits and roulette machines.

I'm suprised there is still such a market for this as a physical venue given the rise of on-line / mobile varieties.

Can't say it's anything I know much about mind.

I'm suprised there is still such a market for this as a physical venue given the rise of on-line / mobile varieties.

Can't say it's anything I know much about mind.
I know a few lads who have worked in bookies in town over the years and these machines are big with the Chinese students.

They're all loaded and drop daft money into them, not unknown for someone to lose £2k in a short space of time and walk off like it's fine.

Imagine gamblers over a certain age would still prefer the physical machines over their phones too.

I know a few lads who have worked in bookies in town over the years and these machines are big with the Chinese students.

They're all loaded and drop daft money into them, not unknown for someone to lose £2k in a short space of time and walk off like it's fine.

Imagine gamblers over a certain age would still prefer the physical machines over their phones too.

Intresting that.

May open one near the uni aimed specifically at the Chinese students.

Google translate tells me the name should be 北端老虎机 :D

Intresting that.

May open one near the uni aimed specifically at the Chinese students.

Google translate tells me the name should be 北端老虎机 :D
Maybe this application across from St George's has beaten you to it.

Ahhhh, I did wonder too.

They add nothing to the high street unfortunately, but I suppose it’s better than the premises being permanently empty.

Ill not be visiting it

Basically. Like I have said before.

Town is a cesspit.