PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

City Centre Investment

it was always going to be a difficult task to put additions to the top floor of the old Post Office building but from this I dont think a worse effort could have been made of doing it.

167950776_10159331475327889_7310572832365373261_n.jpg

Was always going to look a tad odd, I must admit, however the bigger crime in my opinion was that beautiful building in such a good location being left unused.

Will be a great addition once open.

Was always going to look a tad odd, I must admit, however the bigger crime in my opinion was that beautiful building in such a good location being left unused.

Will be a great addition once open.
Absolute crime. You look at what you must go through with planning to ensure things such as an extension are aesthetically appropriate and in keeping This is beyond me
i really have no faith at all in the council whatsoever

Absolute crime. You look at what you must go through with planning to ensure things such as an extension are aesthetically appropriate and in keeping This is beyond me
i really have no faith at all in the council whatsoever
The greatest crime ever committed in Preston stands but a few feet away from that building across the flag.

How on earth the decision was made to demolish and not rebuild one of THE most stunning buildings on this great island is an absolute travesty.

Therefore it should come as no great shock what has been done to the Old Post Office.

The greatest crime ever committed in Preston stands but a few feet away from that building across the flag.

How on earth the decision was made to demolish and not rebuild one of THE most stunning buildings on this great island is an absolute travesty.

Therefore it should come as no great shock what has been done to the Old Post Office.
Stunning wasn't it and a travesty.

My mother worked in Winckley Square.

Each morning after getting the bus from the Lane Ends she used to look up at the clock to make sure she wasn't going to be late.

March 16th 1947 it wasn't there.

Apparently a good amount of it ended up in the Ribble at London Road - at low tides you can still see it

As mentioned in the nightclub thread, the former home of Arabellas, Aqualenium, Rumes, PR1 and most recently Mokäi burnt down last night in a blaze that required 10 fire engines to bring it under control. Not sure if it has caused any damage to the neighbouring Old Dog.

Some good and bad memories of that end of town but this would, IMHO, be a great time for the Council to make a statement and flatten that whole row to start the regeneration of the area.

Of the 12 units from the former superbike shop to the Minster, 5 are shut with 2 derelict and the remaining 5 are takeaways and a newsagents. The upper floors in most are a mess and I would hazard a guess at saying they are probably rarely used, if at all.

Obviously all easier said than done, especially if suggested on Twitter, the Rigby estate owns any of it, but if the former nightclub is that badly damaged it would be the perfect catalyst to start the ball rolling.

The old Ritz cinema has burnt down??
There used to be Rydings shaver shop next door, my dad would pop in for new blades etc, while he perused the window display my eyes would wander to the posters of what was showing at rhe Ritz... It tended to show... Adult films... Confessions of a... Emanuelle etc... Recall asking what an X film was and told some rubbish about it being for foreign people!

As mentioned in the nightclub thread, the former home of Arabellas, Aqualenium, Rumes, PR1 and most recently Mokäi burnt down last night in a blaze that required 10 fire engines to bring it under control. Not sure if it has caused any damage to the neighbouring Old Dog.

Some good and bad memories of that end of town but this would, IMHO, be a great time for the Council to make a statement and flatten that whole row to start the regeneration of the area.

Of the 12 units from the former superbike shop to the Minster, 5 are shut with 2 derelict and the remaining 5 are takeaways and a newsagents. The upper floors in most are a mess and I would hazard a guess at saying they are probably rarely used, if at all.

Obviously all easier said than done, especially if suggested on Twitter, the Rigby estate owns any of it, but if the former nightclub is that badly damaged it would be the perfect catalyst to start the ball rolling.
Needs to be well thought through with the Minster in mind. What it doesnt need is some piecemeal, identikit type development there.

Needs to be well thought through with the Minster in mind. What it doesnt need is some piecemeal, identikit type development there.w
Wishfull thinking, but i would flatten the block and open it up into a square so the Minster is more visible. There is a carpark behind the nightclub, so plenty of space. You could have some decent food and drink establishments on the southern perimeter with lots of outside seating and good lighting, a bit like the shambles square in Manchester.

Wishfull thinking, but i would flatten the block and open it up into a square so the Minster is more visible. There is a carpark behind the nightclub, so plenty of space. You could have some decent food and drink establishments on the southern perimeter with lots of outside seating and good lighting, a bit like the shambles square in Manchester.

Great idea and with a gathering/event space as well.

While it does need development I'd be sad to see the Old Dog and Warehouse flattened.

Church St needs flattening - end of.

It's a colossal dump of an eyesore with 10 a penny chicken ranches.

The only half decent building is the Blue Bell and oddly enough that's looking a bit tired.

And has anyone recently been past Prestons former number one music venue the Lamb?

Oh deary deary me......

Church St needs flattening - end of.

It's a colossal dump of an eyesore with 10 a penny chicken ranches.

The only half decent building is the Blue Bell and oddly enough that's looking a bit tired.

And has anyone recently been past Prestons former number one music venue the Lamb?

Oh deary deary me......
Agreed, would only be the nostalgia that would make me sorry to see them go.

Warehouse is probably still quite a profitable business though in normal post covid times.